Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving money from USA bank account to UK bank account?  (Read 2566 times)

• Liked: 3
Moving money from USA bank account to UK bank account?
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »
While I am in the USA waiting to substantiate ample savings so that my spouse can sponsor me, someone mentioned moving money from my US Bank account to a UK account to avoid fluctuations in the Exchange rate.

Even if that is not a good idea, I'd like to know if it's possible to move money from a US Bank account to a UK Bank account without physically being in the UK.

Ways to do it as a US Citizen? Less hassle for just my wife to do it as a non-US Citizen Green Card holder?

Thanks!

• Liked: 768
Re: Moving money from USA bank account to UK bank account?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
I can recommend using Transferwise.

That is how I move my money and you will get a better rate than moving cash or having the bank do a transfer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
I can also recommend Transferwise. I use them regularly to move money from the  US to the UK. It's a fabulous service.
I don't think it'll make a difference which one of you makes the transfer or which country you happen to be in at the time.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I need to not only transfer money but open a UK bank account from the USA.

Thanks for the methodology which will be helpful after the fact.

Can my wife open a bank account in the UK without physically being there? Want to do this in advance.

Thanks!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I need to not only transfer money but open a UK bank account from the USA.

Thanks for the methodology which will be helpful after the fact.

Can my wife open a bank account in the UK without physically being there? Want to do this in advance.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you need to be present, have a visa, and show a proof of address.  That was the standard requirement at every bank we looked at.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure you need to be present, have a visa, and show a proof of address.  That was the standard requirement at every bank we looked at.

What if it was just in my wife's name? She is a UK citizen. Do the other two really need to apply? I recall having a hard time years ago, but that was when I attempted to open a bank account with my name on it.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »
What if it was just in my wife's name? She is a UK citizen. Do the other two really need to apply? I recall having a hard time years ago, but that was when I attempted to open a bank account with my name on it.

She would still need proof of UK address though, such as a recent utility bill with her name on it. If you're both still in the US, then I'm assuming she won't be able to provide this.

I believe HSBC have an account you can open from the US, but it costs about $200 and there may be a minimum amount of money you have to have in there (I can't remember the exact requirements for it offhand).

I think most people here have found it's just too much hassle to try to open a UK account from the US and have waited until they have moved to the UK.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:01 AM »
She would still need proof of UK address though, such as a recent utility bill with her name on it. If you're both still in the US, then I'm assuming she won't be able to provide this.

I believe HSBC have an account you can open from the US, but it costs about $200 and there may be a minimum amount of money you have to have in there (I can't remember the exact requirements for it offhand).

I think most people here have found it's just too much hassle to try to open a UK account from the US and have waited until they have moved to the UK.

DO NOT OPEN WITH HSBC!

At least not unless you have $10K or more to keep in your account. (Minimum balance, not to put in and then transfer)

I would have saved weeks of hassle if I had known this. HSBC will make your account opening extremely difficult unless you have so much money that they think they'll profit from you.

Can give more info if necessary, but don't go for HSBC.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:46 PM »
I never had a problem with HSBC myself (that's our bank), but just wanted to chime in RE the movement of money that I too can vouch for Transferwise. I use it every month to send money to my US account for my direct debit on my student loans. When we go back to visit now as well we've started just transferring the funds to my US account because it's pretty much always the best exchange rate we can find and it's so easy with very very little hassle involved. It's very quick as well and reliable.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »
Exceptional posts, thank you!

• Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
I would add my recommendation for Transferwise. I've used it now three times, and it has been fast and easy. I ran into a bit of an issue today, due to my own ignorance of banking rules, and called their support. Jeffrey, who answered my call, spent almost 40 minutes with me getting it all sorted. I had to upload an additional document. Though I had some initial apprehension about using something I never had heard of before (nor had need of), that was alleviated by their performance, and their support. A very good way to move money. Good luck with your own transfers.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
I would add my recommendation for Transferwise. I've used it now three times, and it has been fast and easy. I ran into a bit of an issue today, due to my own ignorance of banking rules, and called their support. Jeffrey, who answered my call, spent almost 40 minutes with me getting it all sorted. I had to upload an additional document. Though I had some initial apprehension about using something I never had heard of before (nor had need of), that was alleviated by their performance, and their support. A very good way to move money. Good luck with your own transfers.

There is nothing like good customer service, is there?  :)  Glad it's working out for you.

• Liked: 16
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
Thank you. Yes, you recommended them, and it's appreciated.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »
I opened a US Barclays Online account from the UK without being present in the US, it was very easy. Not sure if Barclays will do it the other way around but having a UKC wife with an address in the UK would help, worth looking into. Try googling your question, you never know what answers you will get. . As for transferring money from a US Bank to a UK Bank I use XE. I have used it to bring my hubby's police pension over every month for 8 yrs. I can also recommend Transferwise as they were able to transfer UK funds to a US Bank which XE will not do.

This is what Transferwise says about your query: "In order to open a UK bank account, you will need two documents: one to prove your identity and one to prove your address. This applies both in branch and online. Proving your identity is simple. You just need your passport, driving licence or identity card (if you're an EU national). - 18 Apr 2016"

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
As for transferring money from a US Bank to a UK Bank I use XE. I

I had no idea you could use xe until a few weeks ago when my husband was looking into comparing exchange rates so we could get the best rate for sending our money to my US account for our visit in July. He said they were really helpful as I think he mentioned they either called or emailed him to see if there was any additional questions he had or any further help might need. In the end, Transferwise (which is my usual go-to, as I mentioned above) still had the best rates so we went with that but he had really positive things to say just based on researching XE.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab