Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving money from USA bank account to UK bank account?  (Read 2554 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Moving money from USA bank account to UK bank account?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
As far as I know (or at least it use to be this way) you can't send money back to the USA but I could be absolutely wrong which is why I used Transferwise to send money that way. I think I will look into Transferwise for bringing my husband's pension over every month.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
As far as I know (or at least it use to be this way) you can't send money back to the USA but I could be absolutely wrong which is why I used Transferwise to send money that way. I think I will look into Transferwise for bringing my husband's pension over every month.

I might've misunderstood but my husband said that they've just started allowing transfers on XE (so I'm not sure if it's maybe new to do UK to US instead of it being a new feature in general?)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
I might've misunderstood but my husband said that they've just started allowing transfers on XE (so I'm not sure if it's maybe new to do UK to US instead of it being a new feature in general?)

I've been using XE to do transfers between the UK and US and between the UK and Europe since 2012. I've definitely transferred money from my UK account to my US account using XE before (probably 3 years ago).

However, a few months ago they changed their policies or something and you had to essentially re-register with them. I didn't bother because I found Transferwise was cheaper anyway.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
Cool. Might have just had an issue that one time with the amount etc... Anyway, Transferwise seems to working for everyone so it's good to know that.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
I've been using XE to do transfers between the UK and US and between the UK and Europe since 2012. I've definitely transferred money from my UK account to my US account using XE before (probably 3 years ago).

However, a few months ago they changed their policies or something and you had to essentially re-register with them. I didn't bother because I found Transferwise was cheaper anyway.

Ahh right, fair enough! Good to know!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
I had no idea you could use xe until a few weeks ago when my husband was looking into comparing exchange rates so we could get the best rate for sending our money to my US account for our visit in July. He said they were really helpful as I think he mentioned they either called or emailed him to see if there was any additional questions he had or any further help might need. In the end, Transferwise (which is my usual go-to, as I mentioned above) still had the best rates so we went with that but he had really positive things to say just based on researching XE.

Xe used to be decent and were the one most recommended on multiple forums but some time ago they were taken over by HiFx. 
The first time I tried to transfer funds, the day after the changeover, they were completely unprepared for their US/UK clients,  it was a complete debacle.

I found Transferwise at the time, in a hurry and they are so much better than xe ever were that I won't be going back to xe even  though I understand they have since care of those takeover issues.

• Liked: 75
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
I have a bank account with Santander, does anyone know how to switch a US Santander account to a UK one? Is that even possible without having to transfer money to the UK?

Thanks!
Met: 2003
Started Relationship: December 2014
Married: July 2017
Visa Application: 9/9/17
Biometrics: 9/12/17
Application mailed: 9/13/17
Received by UKVI: 9/15/17
Decision email: 10/4/17
Decision: APPROVED!!! Rec’d documents 10/9/17

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
I have a bank account with Santander, does anyone know how to switch a US Santander account to a UK one? Is that even possible without having to transfer money to the UK?

Thanks!

Are you able to call or go into your local branch to get some details? I did a quick google but all the hits I found (again, it was just a quick google) seemed to be about transferring funds from US accounts to Santander accounts as opposed to transferring the account itself.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Yeah I've done the same. I'll check with my bank to see how I can go about that. Just wanted to see if anyone here has done it! Thank you for looking into it!  :)

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »

Thanks!

It's a good idea to keep a bank account (and credit card) open in the US for trips back and making dollar purchases. It's not difficult to open a bank account in the UK once you get there. 

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
Thanks! that's really good to know! I do plan on keeping a Credit union account open as well as a Credit card for visits here in America.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
Can anyone recommend the best method for transferring money using Transferwise? I'm trying to make my first transfer from my US to UK account, but ran into a snag when trying to do an ACH transfer because it wants to send a code by text to one of the numbers linked to my US bank account. My US bank only accepts US numbers, so I have my parents' information. However, the whole point of me using Transferwise is to avoid bothering them every time I want to move money over here.

Is there a workaround for ACH transfer that won't require me paying for a number through Skype or something? I prefer not to use my debit card online, even though I know that's an option, and want the funds coming straight from checking.

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
Can anyone recommend the best method for transferring money using Transferwise? I'm trying to make my first transfer from my US to UK account, but ran into a snag when trying to do an ACH transfer because it wants to send a code by text to one of the numbers linked to my US bank account. My US bank only accepts US numbers, so I have my parents' information. However, the whole point of me using Transferwise is to avoid bothering them every time I want to move money over here.

Is there a workaround for ACH transfer that won't require me paying for a number through Skype or something? I prefer not to use my debit card online, even though I know that's an option, and want the funds coming straight from checking.

Hmm..I don't think I ran into this problem. At what point does it direct you to confirm the information with a text? Are you sure they'll want you to o this every time and not just as a one off?
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 716
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
I am thinking this is a one off to establish your banking credentials from the bank you will be transferring on a regular basis. Could you coordinate with your parents this first time so they receive and tell you the validation code?

I never have to receive a validation from my US bank but it was last year when I set it up so can't remember if I had to do that the first time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:47:04 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
I think durhamlad is probably right. The first time I did a transfer, I had to enter my (wfb) pin.
Since then, that account appears as an option for a source of funds without me having to enter it again.

Also, don't be afraid to call Transferwise to ask them what's going on, they are really nice!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab