Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving lessons  (Read 1089 times)

• Liked: 20
Driving lessons
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
I know I saw a recent post on this, but I can't find it. OMG I just had my first lesson for an automatic, and the instructor is
CCRRAAZZZZYYYYY.

His plan is to teach me what is "morally right" and not how to pass the test. It was painful until he told me I have "natural ability" ( to get me to sign up for more lessons I'm sure) Which I F,'ing did because I have to pass by Aug 22 or I won't be able to drive, and I could NOT find an instructor to teach me on an automatic, they are booked out so far.

Plus I have to take the test in his car with the broken knobs and mushy brakes?! Someone talk me off the ledge....

I am scheduled to test on July 4- fitting if I pass. He thinks there is no way I'll be ready, but softened that stance at the end......

Rant over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 19
Re: Driving lessons
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Find a different instructor.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
Wow. Yeah. You need a different instructor. The mushy brakes would definitely worry me.

Keep calling around, get on some people's radar you never know if someone has a cancellation they might call you. Or, you might want to look into taking an intensive course?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
I'll try to find another instructor. It took me weeks of daily calls and e-mails to find this guy. He says the brakes are new. Why ipare some things SO hard?! We just moved (again) 4 th time in 8 months. DVLA has had my provisional license and my V5c in their possession more than I have with all the freaking address changes.

Plus the V5c only has my husbands name on it and I can't get him to change his DL license address so I can send it in yet again.

Frustrating day

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Driving is a lot more controlled over here and summer is the busiest time for people to do driving lessons.

Just keep trying, I'm sure you'll find the right instructor.

At least you've already passed your theory! I'm still working on that one myself.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »
Driving is a lot more controlled over here and summer is the busiest time for people to do driving lessons.

Just keep trying, I'm sure you'll find the right instructor.

At least you've already passed your theory! I'm still working on that one myself.
It took me two try's! I had no clue about the hazard perception part. I clicked all wrong. Everything looks like a hazard to me in these parts! Good luck with yours!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
barb, why don't you try a few lessons with a stick?
Once you get the hang of the clutch, which shouldn't take long at all, there's nothing to it.
That way you'd open up a whole world of other (decent) driving instructors and you would not be limited to driving an automatic once you have passed your test.  :)

But either way, ditch that guy...   >:(

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
Good luck to you I hated taking driving lessons but I did learn how to drive a stick which is something I always wanted to do you will feel a sense of achievement when u pass!
I changed instructors because the first one I had said that my driving was Terrible. I couldn't deal with that comment especially as I was just settling into the uk 
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
barb, why don't you try a few lessons with a stick?
Once you get the hang of the clutch, which shouldn't take long at all, there's nothing to it.
That way you'd open up a whole world of other (decent) driving instructors and you would not be limited to driving an automatic once you have passed your test.  :)

But either way, ditch that guy...   >:(
Hmm, that is an excellent thought! My first car in the US was a stick and it was a blast

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
Hmm, that is an excellent thought! My first car in the US was a stick and it was a blast

Well, there you go then! Problem solved, haha!  ;D

• Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
You may need a different instructor. It's not uncommon to switch, and it's important to find someone you mesh with! Not to scare ya but I went through two instructors before I found the one I passed with. First guy was terrible- an impatient jerk who acted like he didn't want to be there, second guy was much better but was shockingly unreliable. Third was the winner, and I passed first time. Once it's over it feels so rewarding! I also passed my test shortly after my first year was up. Taking the bus to work for two months was not fun.

Personally, I am so glad I went with an automatic and have zero regrets. I was a VERY nervous driver over here to begin with, automatic was all I ever knew, and I had no desire to learn/drive a stick........ so it just made sense. My husband gave me a few lessons, but I knew it just wasn't for me. But, everyone's different  :)
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »

If you've got some experience with a manual car, you should go for it and get a full license.  If you take the test on. Manual , you get a license that is limited to manual only.  Since so many cars here and in Europe are manual, that seems limiting.  Although, from my experience renting cars in Europe, nobody cares about anything.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
If you've got some experience with a manual car, you should go for it and get a full license.  If you take the test on. Manual , you get a license that is limited to manual only. 

I think you mean automatic, not manual :P.

- If you take the test in an automatic, you are only licenced to drive automatic cars.

- If you take the test in a manual, you are licenced to drive both manual and automatic cars

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
I stand corrected!

Sponsored Links