Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Utter disaster- perfectly prepared FLR(M) sent in, got back linvalid letter  (Read 12750 times)

• Liked: 13
Please don't get upset, it's not been returned as an invalid application, just asking for more documents. Your lawers can  sort this.

I assume your Tier 4 has expired now?

Yes. Tier 4 expired just after we applied. We had to wait until last minute because otherwise woudlnt' have quite met fianancial requirement.

Can't help but be upset as my lawyer today sounded genuinely spooked and unsure. HE seemed worried. He didn't seem like he'd seen this before in his five years at a big immigration firm.  I've got massive amounts of fianancial and personal stuff going on right now that I was a mess even without this happening! And the lawyers are asking tons to take on this case- that we literally don't have. We are hoping on Tuesday we will find out if they will do a payment plan otherwise we cannot afford their representation. It's all like an actual nightmare. We spent thousands on the initial lawyer fees, application, and then recent emergency vet bills and have nothing left. This is all so unfair- Iv'e been here in this country 6 years paying taxes and volunteering and doing academic research to help people. And now going to get kicked out on my bum.

**edit: after we applied
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:41:43 PM by solstince »

• Liked: 6110
I thought more about that theory and don't think its possible to be honest. The reason being is that they also included a blank partner declaration film with green highlights on the sections they would expect us to check (highlighted "I am a British citizen" checkbox and "I am an unmarried partner" checkboxes which is indeed the right ones that my partner would fill out.).

This strongly implies they do actually think we left out this document- which implies they really do think we left out the others (3rd party permission, passport) as well.

In which case we aren't dealing with someone sending an oopsie letter but genintely thinking we left out all the major important documents of the damn application! Even if they mixed us up how could anyone ELSE have possible done that? Plus my cover letter clearly has all included items indexed and listed. EVerything was numbered. I can't fathom how they actually could have missed all these docs.

I see what you are saying but they do make really big, fat mistakes sometimes. I'm sure this is just another of those. It'll be a good war story once you get it all sorted out. Which you will.

• Liked: 6110
Yes. Tier 4 expired just after we applied. We had to wait until last minute because otherwise woudlnt' have quite met fianancial requirement.

Can't help but be upset as my lawyer today sounded genuinely spooked and unsure. HE seemed worried. He didn't seem like he'd seen this before in his five years at a big immigration firm.  I've got massive amounts of fianancial and personal stuff going on right now that I was a mess even without this happening! And the lawyers are asking tons to take on this case- that we literally don't have. We are hoping on Tuesday we will find out if they will do a payment plan otherwise we cannot afford their representation. It's all like an actual nightmare. We spent thousands on the initial lawyer fees, application, and then recent emergency vet bills and have nothing left. This is all so unfair- Iv'e been here in this country 6 years paying taxes and volunteering and doing academic research to help people. And now going to get kicked out on my bum.

**edit: after we applied

So you hired the lawyers to prepare the application. Then this happens and they are asking for *more money to help you from here?

• Liked: 342

Can't help but be upset as my lawyer today sounded genuinely spooked and unsure. HE seemed worried. He didn't seem like he'd seen this before in his five years at a big immigration firm. 

A quick internet search will show that this has happened before.

So you hired the lawyers to prepare the application. Then this happens and they are asking for *more money to help you from here?

No. I prepared application myself for months from online research. I have a PhD and have always been very confident with forms, paperwork, this sort of stuff. When I was almost done with the entire application I paid our lawyer for a consult and document check. Then paid for another consultation and check once I'd finished everything ready to post and added completed cover letter. They said everything looked great- send on in.

I figured if something went wrong and we'd had to appeal we would have more lawyer costs but didn't expect that until late June or July. I dont have any funds until then, might have but literally the day before this letter spent last of money on emergency veterinarian. No one even mentioned or thought about the idea that the application wouldn't even get accepted even though everything was there and we meet all the requirements. I couldn't' have imagined this sort of a mess up in my worst nightmares!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:16:55 PM by solstince »

A quick internet search will show that this has happened before.

Yes, but disheartening that lawyer seemed so spooked. He said he's seen people lose original important docs  very rarely but not on applications where everything was clearly laid out   :-\\\\

Haven't talked to our primary lawyer yet as she was on holiday today so hasn't heard about all this yet. She'll find out first thing Tuesday AM after the bank holiday- she may have more insight her coworker doesn't' as she is more senior and a partner. Either way its clear we need their representation  :(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:18:55 PM by solstince »

I'm so sorry, solstince, what a nightmare. I hope this gets sorted out quickly

So what happens when the HO messes up to this magnititude and mixes up or loses a person's application who's leave has expired? If we can afford to have lawyer represent us from here on out, and the HO goes "oopsie! jk! we got everything" when they get lawyers' letter great- but I'm much more interested in figuring out the worse case, what if it doesn't and I'm an over-stayer?

I mean, I have a job here...I have people and animals relying on me. If I'm deported I'll be homeless and without family or a job in the States. This has massive implications.. and we sent everything we were supposed to and we meet all the requirements. I'm wondering what has happened in these cases in the past?

What has happened to other people- do they just leave and that's that or do they stay and fight and hope to win something in court that allows them to be justified in their over staying?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:21:27 PM by solstince »

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
No. I prepared application my self for months from online research. I have a PhD and have always been very confident with forms, paperwork, this sort of stuff. When I was almost done with the entier application I paid for a consult and document check. Then paid for another consultation and check once I'd finished everything ready to post and added completed cover letter.

Major suckage; hope someone contacts you soon and says "sorry, we screwed up, you're good to go, the person responsible has been demoted to Level II Doorstop".

Total idiot ignoramous here, but have a technical question: if the lawyer did a consultation document check (assuming this is a specific listed service with generally understood parameters), would a professional preparer's testimony that the passport was included be enough to put things on hold until your case can be looked at by a supervisor or someone in similar capacity? Would normally think your lawyer would've suggested so, but the times people simply don't mention details always amazes me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:21:05 PM by sillybadger »
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

Major suckage; hope someone contacts you soon and says "sorry, we screwed up, you're good to go, the person responsible has been demoted to Level II Doorstop".

Total idiot ignoramous here, but have a technical question: if the lawyer did a consultation document check (assuming this is a specific listed service with generally understood parameters), would a professional preparer's testimony that the passport was included be enough to put things on hold until your case can be looked at by a supervisor or someone in similar capacity? Would normally think your lawyer would've suggested so, but the times people simply don't mention details always amazes me.

She wasn't anywhere near me when I put the application in the post. This lawyer firm works like I think most do: you either pay them to represent you and they do the whole damn application and submit it all themselves (and thus can vouch for you if needed). OR- you get their advice or check but are then on your own. She can't say for sure what as in that box I posted in post office, she wasn't there. Luckily I took photos of every page of entire binder of application- but that doesn't prove that what I took photos of got into the box that I posted either. I literally have no proof it was sent along with everything else. I'd bet my actual life that it was (and that all the other important missing documents they are saying were missing were too). Unless someone in the post office opened a fiercely taped box, opened up the 2 ring binder, and removed only a few documents and then repackaged the box as a fun prank...they were there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:33:11 PM by solstince »

• Liked: 4985
Really try not to panic.

Okay, so you gave this lawyer some money for no genuine service in return.  Write that off and use a good lawyer if you need too.  We recommend Victoria Sharkey with Medivisas or Laura Devine on this board.  Both are outstanding and will resolve any issue their clients have.

But the only issue here is the passport.  Why do you not think a US Embassy issued replacement passport will suffice?  It's as genuine as they come.

Yes, I've heard of this happening before.  The person got a new passport and they were resolved.  They even got UKVI to pay for a replacement passport as they had lost it.

Cut your losses with the lawyer.  Sounds like he's not experienced enough.

• Liked: 70
Just wading in here: might it be prudent to apply for the passport anyway in the meantime and mention the situation to the US Embassy? They might have some alternative options available to you - maybe an expedited non-emergency passport application?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/emergency-passports/residents-of-england-and-wales/

I checked the schedule for London and there are still a couple of appointments available for Tuesday, and plenty for Wednesday. As with others, I too hope that it all gets resolved quickly for you guys.

When we applied for an updated non-emergency passport via the US Embassy, it made the round trip in two weeks - old one posted off, couriered back and forth, issued, and both old and new came back in that time.

Really try not to panic.

Okay, so you gave this lawyer some money for no genuine service in return.  Write that off and use a good lawyer if you need too.  We recommend Victoria Sharkey with Medivisas or Laura Devine on this board.  Both are outstanding and will resolve any issue their clients have.

But the only issue here is the passport.  Why do you not think a US Embassy issued replacement passport will suffice?  It's as genuine as they come.

Yes, I've heard of this happening before.  The person got a new passport and they were resolved.  They even got UKVI to pay for a replacement passport as they had lost it.

Cut your losses with the lawyer.  Sounds like he's not experienced enough.

Thanks for your response. The lawyer I talked to today was our primary lawyers assistant. The primary lawyer is a partner. I'm not sure how the money wasn't providing a service? She did a document check which helped me get correct wording for letters and do fiance calculations. She answered questions I had about calculations, co-habitation proof, how to structure a cover letter. Then when it was all put together she provided peace of mind everything was there that was supposed to be. Hardly seems her fault that this has now happened?! I guess she could have warned me not to use a binder and slipsheets.
I by no means have loyalty to this lawyer but she already knows all the little nitty gritty details of our application (which is fairly complex on the fiances side). That, and she will likely clear space in her day immediately on Tuesday or Wednesday to deal with this. And may take a payment plan since we are not new clients. I am really interested in your take on this KF dancer as if from what i've just elaborated on you still think switching lawyers is important I would take that into account. But not lightly as the money situation desperate and a new lawyer not likely to let you pay in blocks and only partially upfront?

Regarding passport: I assumed a replacement wouldn't suffice because it will be a temporary passport. I do not think the HO takes temporary passports if you have no excuse for original being gone (ie a police report number). If the HO stand by that they never recieved it they certainly will not consider "you lost it yourselves assholes" as a good excuse for not having it..?

I will look into an expedited non-temporary one but surely wouldn't come within 6ish buisness days?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:56:15 PM by solstince »

Just wading in here: might it be prudent to apply for the passport anyway in the meantime and mention the situation to the US Embassy? They might have some alternative options available to you - maybe an expedited non-emergency passport application?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/emergency-passports/residents-of-england-and-wales/

I checked the schedule for London and there are still a couple of appointments available for Tuesday, and plenty for Wednesday. As with others, I too hope that it all gets resolved quickly for you guys.

When we applied for an updated non-emergency passport via the US Embassy, it made the round trip in two weeks - old one posted off, couriered back and forth, issued, and both old and new came back in that time.

Thank you for your help. I will look into this but dont' hold much hope as we have 9 working days to post the passport to them starting Tuesday. Can't imagine getting a real proper passport in 9 working days. Especially since all I have is a paper copy of my old one- I don't have an original USA birth certificate in my possession or a USA drivers license etc.  But I will investigate.

• Liked: 4985
Thanks for your response. The lawyer I talked to today was our primary lawyers assistant. The primary lawyer is a partner. I'm not sure how the money wasn't providing a service? She did a document check which helped me get correct wording for letters and do fiance calculations. She answered questions I had about calculations, co-habitation proof, how to structure a cover letter. Then when it was all put together she provided peace of mind everything was there that was supposed to be. Hardly seems her fault that this has now happened?! I guess she could have warned me not to use a binder and slipsheets.
I by no means have loyalty to this lawyer but she already knows all the little nitty gritty details of our application (which is fairly complex on the fiances side). That, and she will likely clear space in her day immediately on Tuesday or Wednesday to deal with this. And may take a payment plan since we are not new clients. I am really interested in your take on this KF dancer as if from what i've just elaborated on you still think switching lawyers is important I would take that into account. But not lightly as the money situation desperate and a new lawyer not likely to let you pay in blocks and only partially upfront?

Regarding passport: I assumed a replacement wouldn't suffice because it will be a temporary passport. I do not think the HO takes temporary passports if you have no excuse for original being gone (ie a police report number). If the HO stand by that they never recieved it they certainly will not consider "you lost it yourselves assholes" as a good excuse for not having it..?

I will look into an expedited non-temporary one but surely wouldn't come within 6ish buisness days?

Apologies, I misunderstood and thought the gentleman you were speaking to today who was "spooked" was the attorney.  THAT concerned me.   :). If he's not the one you've been paying, then no red flags there!

Talk to the Embassy.  I'd make an appointment for next week, if it was me.  You will NOT be the first person there who has had UKVI lose their passport.  They will know what will suffice.  I'm certain the same day issued passport, along with the electronic cancellation of your original passport, will suffice.

This can be resolved.  I promise.  Please don't panic all weekend and make yourselves ill over this.  Even if you do nothing else through your attorney, you can provide UKVI with each of the items they are requesting.  No panic necessary!  Stress, absolutely!   :). You can do this! 

Sponsored Links