Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tacos on My Mind  (Read 1055 times)

• Liked: 111
Tacos on My Mind
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
I was talking to my friend about all y'all on UKY and the foods you miss.

He sent me this link about how we, as Mexican Americans, seem to be all the time but I thought it was appropriate for so many expats too.

Forgive the bits of profanity but I had a good laugh. I hope you have a chuckle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
Re: Tacos on My Mind
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
I was talking to my friend about all y'all on UKY and the foods you miss.

He sent me this link about how we, as Mexican Americans, seem to be all the time but I thought it was appropriate for so many expats too.

Forgive the bits of profanity but I had a good laugh. I hope you have a chuckle too.

That's hilarious and somewhat true for me lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
lmao this video speaks to me on a very personal level (I am not Mexican-American but would be lucky to be!!)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:55:25 PM »
I lived for a year in Puebla, Puebla Mexico, and for 6 Years in San Antonio Texas. What I wouldn't give for a real taco! (Not one of the kits from the international aisle)

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
hah I get what you mean about a real taco vs a kit, but I feel like everybody is finding their taco kids in the international section of the shop but I'm not. Is it just me?? Or maybe my idea of the international section is different because I guess, in theory, it is as there's a Japanese/Chinese section of shelves, an Indian section, and a Mexican section and then like pasta and jarred sauces - which, in theory, is international. but I always think of the bit of the shop labelled "international" and that has the stuff that's like properly from other countries (where it's imported in and you can't read some of the bags because it's written in other languages) which includes the American area. Is that where you're finding your taco kits or do you just mean in the section designated for Mexican food?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
If you're meaning the Old El Paso type of taco kit, they're usually in the same aisle as the pasta and sauces. There's normally a small Mexican-style food section in that part of the store, with the kits for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas etc.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
The Wahacca kits are expensive but they are lovely. Obviously not the same as what some people are used to, but delicious none-the-less.

Speaking of Tacos...I made tacos on Tuesday (as you do for Taco Tuesday) and instead of using a sachet of taco seasoning on my turkey mince, I used a sachet for chiil con carne and winged the amount of water to mix in and it tasted INCREDIBLE.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
Not seen the Wahaca kits... what's different about them?
(I'm hoping you're going to say they've got corn tortillas in them, instead of the stupid crispy already-folded shells you find in other kits..)

• Liked: 107
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Wahaca's has £1 tacos every Tuesday in Liverpool! Great food
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
Not seen the Wahaca kits... what's different about them?
(I'm hoping you're going to say they've got corn tortillas in them, instead of the stupid crispy already-folded shells you find in other kits..)

can you not find corn tortillas at your Tesco/Sainsburys??

I can't remember if they have corn tortillas (I think they do if I remember correctly) but they are from the Wahacca restaurant chain so the sauces used as marinade are the ones they supposedly use at the restaurants (so you get chicken tinga. carne asada, etc.). There are loads of different types of kits at the shops around me and I feel like maybe not everybody is getting to experience that! hah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »
can you not find corn tortillas at your Tesco/Sainsburys??

Nope. I have to buy them online from MexGrocer, or pop into Lupe Pintos when I'm in that part of Glasgow.

I can't remember if they have corn tortillas (I think they do if I remember correctly) but they are from the Wahacca restaurant chain so the sauces used as marinade are the ones they supposedly use at the restaurants (so you get chicken tinga. carne asada, etc.). There are loads of different types of kits at the shops around me and I feel like maybe not everybody is getting to experience that! hah

Wahaca hasn't hit the west of Scotland yet, so I've not yet been able to try them. I'll check Waitrose and see if they're stocking the kits.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
I lived in England back in the day (1995-2004) when my local ASDA (Lower Earley, Reading) had an "international" food section and it was only 4 feet across and two shelves and consisted of dry pasta, Lloyd Grossman sauces and a tikka masala cooking sauce. To be fair, the first full day I lived in England, I found a battered Old El Paso taco kit in that section that might have already reached it's "eat by" date but I simply didn't care. I was having a meltdown and El Paso is the name of my hometown in Texas. I found it as a "sign from my people". I made it and thought it was pretty terrible and vowed to learn how to cook after that day. I needed to because I couldn't find Mexican food worth eating for years.

It was years before I found MexGrocer online and they sell masa harina which you use for corn tortillas. They were a Godsend and they sell the chilies too to make anything Mexican your heart desires and that was back in 2004. You don't have to find a kit, just go online to MexGrocers and get your own masa and follow the directions on the bag. If you need chiles, go to www.coolchile.co.uk or hit up The Spice Shop the next time you're in Notting Hill. Try: thespiceshop.co.uk

There is no need to live my Mexican food-free life (I'm 1/2 Mexican so it was a freaking tragedy!) or settle for a horrible kit. You'll be glad you did.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:20 PM »
Nope. I have to buy them online from MexGrocer, or pop into Lupe Pintos when I'm in that part of Glasgow.

Wahaca hasn't hit the west of Scotland yet, so I've not yet been able to try them. I'll check Waitrose and see if they're stocking the kits.

Just checked, they are flour & yellow corn tortillas

That's the kit

And that's the tortillas you can get on your own.

My, how time flies....

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »
Just checked, they are flour & yellow corn tortillas

Oh well... thanks anyway.  :)
Old El Paso also do the flour & corn mix tortillas, and while they're not bad, they're not what I want from a taco.  :-\\\\

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »
Oh well... thanks anyway.  :)
Old El Paso also do the flour & corn mix tortillas, and while they're not bad, they're not what I want from a taco.  :-\\\\

I will keep an eye out as I do think I've seen straight up corn tortillas but I can't remember what the brand was.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab