Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Newbie from Los Angeles to Penrith, Cumbria!  (Read 2049 times)

• Liked: 216
Newbie from Los Angeles to Penrith, Cumbria!
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm super new...to this message board and to message boards in general. And hopefully very soon I'll be new to the UK! So, please bear with me as I learn the ropes. I can see there are a lot of ropes to learn but I think I have come to the right place.

I met a wonderful guy from Penrith about 14 months ago and it really was one of those love at first sight situations. He flew to Los Angeles first to meet me in person. It was his first trip ever to the states. A month later, I was on my first trip to England ever to visit him. Since then, he's been back to the US twice to visit me. And I have been over to Penrith four additional times. So, clearly we are serious...so serious that he asked me to marry him and I said "YES!"

Now, I am trying to navigate this whole visa process, of course. It just looks/seems so daunting. From everything I can see, we fit all of the requirements with no problem. But, if anyone wants to point me to the best posts to read about "all things fiance visa related" that would be awesome! I'm really hoping I can get everything right the first time. *praying*

I want to apply right away and use priority but I think I'm going to have to wait because I have a trip planned to go there at the end of June for two concerts - one on July 4th and one on July 7th - that I dare not miss!! Can't risk sending my passport away and not getting it back in time for my trip.

Anyway, I am so glad I've stumbled upon this website because I can see I'll be needing it even after I'm all settled in my new Penrith home and married to the man of my dreams. Looking forward to chatting with you all. And if anyone's in Cumbria, let me know. I'm sure I'm going to be needing a few friends when I get there!

---Nykia
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
Re: Newbie from Los Angeles to Penrith, Cumbria!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Hi Nykia, welcome to the forum.  ;D

Yes, processing times are slow at the moment, even with priority, so if you have travel booked for July, you're definitely doing the right thing postponing the application.

Unfortunately the wait will only get longer over the summer but at least you will be prepared for it. A lot of our members were caught out when wait times abruptly slowed much earlier in the year than they normally do.

Just one more thing to consider. Unless you specially want to get married in the UK, it's far easier and cheaper to marry in the US and apply directly for the spouse visa.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:30:31 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »
Hello, and welcome! This forum is definitely the right place. They have helped me and soooooo many others. I will let others guide you to the best posts, but let me say that there are no dumb questions and absolutely don't apply until the forum wizards get a look at all you are sending to be sure you DO get to be with the man of your dreams!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »
Hi Nykia, welcome to the forum.  ;D

Yes, processing times are slow at the moment, even with priority, so if you have travel booked for July, you're definitely doing the right thing postponing the application.

Unfortunately the wait will only get longer over the summer but at least you will be prepared for it. A lot of our members were caught out when wait times abruptly slowed much earlier in the year than they normally do.

Just one more thing to consider. Unless you specially want to get married in the UK, it's far easier and cheaper to marry in the US and apply directly for the spouse visa.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the response! Yes, we do want to get married in the UK. He has a big family and my family is super tiny so it would be much easier (and less expensive) for my family to make the trip over. I kind of figured things slow up in the summer. So, we decided I'd just come over on my passport for a month or so then come back and get the visa process going. Maybe by the end of summer when I do apply, the processing times will be quicker. Do you have any idea if using priority service has been worthwhile to others?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
Do you have any idea if using priority service has been worthwhile to others?

Absolutely worth it, yes, definitely go for priority!  :)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »
Hello, and welcome! This forum is definitely the right place. They have helped me and soooooo many others. I will let others guide you to the best posts, but let me say that there are no dumb questions and absolutely don't apply until the forum wizards get a look at all you are sending to be sure you DO get to be with the man of your dreams!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I appreciate that welcome! And I'm glad to know it's okay if I ask the occasional dumb question. I'm sure I'll get a few of those in! :)

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
Absolutely worth it, yes, definitely go for priority!  :)

Awesome! Thanks for the info and being so kind. See, I'm already glad I joined! :)

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 11:45:57 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info and being so kind. See, I'm already glad I joined! :)

You're very welcome! We're glad to have you here!  ;D

• Liked: 134
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 11:52:43 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!  The people here have been so helpful when it comes to preparing your visa application.  It's also great to be able to chat to other people in the same situation as you.

I have used priority for both of my applications so far.  I would definitely recommend it if you can afford it but it's not cheap.  Nothing is when it comes to UKVI, as you will come to know.  The first time (when I applied from the US) was definitely worth it as I did not have to wait for a decision for too many months on end. 

In regards to marrying in the UK vs US, the UK has a lot more requirements than the US.  Plus, marrying here requires a whole separate visa (and several thousands of pounds).  When you are here on a fiance visa, you are unable to work or access NHS services without charge at point-of-service.  If you arrive on a spouse visa, you can work right away and you pay a healthcare surcharge as part of the application so can access the NHS.  Due to this, some people get legally married in the US and then plan a larger blessing/reception in the UK when they have moved over.  UK citizens can marry in the US on the ESTA/Visa-Waiver program.  Obviously the choice is absolutely yours to make, it's just better to be able to have more information to make the best decision for the two of you.

Good luck with everything!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 60
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
Hi Nykia, welcome! I also agree that if you can afford priority, you should. I used it for my fiancee visa and I had a response within three weeks. (Given, this was over the winter, so it's much slower now, but it helped a lot!)

Just make sure you get all your documentation lined up before you start the application, since it all goes very very quickly! As you can see in the visa forum, the super-smart people here are happy to help make sure you have all the documentation you need.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
All the best was already given. Just wanted to say Hi! Welcome to the group! :)

Also, no question is a dumb question - especially when it comes to immigration and life in a new country!! Even if it seems dumb to you, it isn't and it's unlikely you'll be the first person to question it :)  Ask away!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
Welcome from another Angeleno!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Met 1989
Married 2008
Retiring to UK - in a few years!

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 04:27:39 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!  The people here have been so helpful when it comes to preparing your visa application.  It's also great to be able to chat to other people in the same situation as you.

I have used priority for both of my applications so far.  I would definitely recommend it if you can afford it but it's not cheap.  Nothing is when it comes to UKVI, as you will come to know.  The first time (when I applied from the US) was definitely worth it as I did not have to wait for a decision for too many months on end. 

In regards to marrying in the UK vs US, the UK has a lot more requirements than the US.  Plus, marrying here requires a whole separate visa (and several thousands of pounds).  When you are here on a fiance visa, you are unable to work or access NHS services without charge at point-of-service.  If you arrive on a spouse visa, you can work right away and you pay a healthcare surcharge as part of the application so can access the NHS.  Due to this, some people get legally married in the US and then plan a larger blessing/reception in the UK when they have moved over.  UK citizens can marry in the US on the ESTA/Visa-Waiver program.  Obviously the choice is absolutely yours to make, it's just better to be able to have more information to make the best decision for the two of you.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for all of the helpful info! Been lost in the whirlwind of trying to navigate it all. Lots of preparation and getting things together. I am so glad I found this website!!

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 04:29:41 AM »
Hi Nykia, welcome! I also agree that if you can afford priority, you should. I used it for my fiancee visa and I had a response within three weeks. (Given, this was over the winter, so it's much slower now, but it helped a lot!)

Just make sure you get all your documentation lined up before you start the application, since it all goes very very quickly! As you can see in the visa forum, the super-smart people here are happy to help make sure you have all the documentation you need.

Wow! It went really quickly for you. That's awesome. We want to apply for the fiancee visa come August. We'd have done it sooner except I'll be heading over there for a couple of concerts in July. So, can't give up my passport just yet. I hope things will go as quickly for me once I apply. Thanks for the welcome!

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 04:31:29 AM »
Welcome from another Angeleno!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Hey neighbor! Thanks for the welcome!  :D

Sponsored Links