Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Newbie from Los Angeles to Penrith, Cumbria!  (Read 2038 times)

• Liked: 3589
Re: Newbie from Los Angeles to Penrith, Cumbria!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
If you don't enter within 30 days, what happens? seems like crazy short notice to book a flight and pack your life up! I got lucky with my flight as I had something sorted due to a problem with a flight prior (long and boring story) and luckily no furniture to pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to send your passport back to UKVI and pay for a new 30-day vignette.

This is why it's so important to figure out what Intended Travel Date you put on the application form - to make sure you can travel within 30 days of it. They should honour the date you put, but lately they have been issuing the visa valid 7 days before the requested date.

If your date has passed before the visa is issued it should be made valid for 30 days from the date the decision is made.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
You have to send your passport back to UKVI and pay for a new 30-day vignette.

This is why it's so important to figure out what Intended Travel Date you put on the application form - to make sure you can travel within 30 days of it. They should honour the date you put, but lately they have been issuing the visa valid 7 days before the requested date.

If your date has passed before the visa is issued it should be made valid for 30 days from the date the decision is made.

In fairness, I didn't even think about the "intended date" bit! Thanks for sharing :) I was just super curious!

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
In fairness, I didn't even think about the "intended date" bit! Thanks for sharing :) I was just super curious!

No worries :). I spend so much time on the visa boards that I forget not everyone is keeping up with the visa changes :P.

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »
No worries :). I spend so much time on the visa boards that I forget not everyone is keeping up with the visa changes :P.

Haha yeah I'm terrible. Once mine was done I was like "thank goodness that stress is done!!" and haven't looked since (except when it was time for me to renew but I was in country by then haha)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 216
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all of this info. It really feels overwhelming but I know if others did it with success, I'll be able to do it too! It feels daunting but of course, so worth it in the end!
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all of this info. It really feels overwhelming but I know if others did it with success, I'll be able to do it too! It feels daunting but of course, so worth it in the end!

Completely worth it! I love it here and couldn't imagine spending my life anywhere else with anyone else :) it gets tough at times (especially when you're apart) but just stay focused because it'll all be worth it!

My, how time flies....

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
Completely worth it! I love it here and couldn't imagine spending my life anywhere else with anyone else :) it gets tough at times (especially when you're apart) but just stay focused because it'll all be worth it!

I feel the same way about it! I'm so madly in love with my fiance and with the country! It's honestly my favorite place I've been on earth so far. I've had the most wonderful experiences there with such a wonderful person. I can't think of anywhere I'd be happier!  ;D

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
I feel the same way about it! I'm so madly in love with my fiance and with the country! It's honestly my favorite place I've been on earth so far. I've had the most wonderful experiences there with such a wonderful person. I can't think of anywhere I'd be happier!  ;D

The best part is that there is so much more traveling to do once you get here as well! It's far easier than traveling from the US!

My, how time flies....

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
The best part is that there is so much more traveling to do once you get here as well! It's far easier than traveling from the US!

Oh, I can only imagine!  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »
I was so surprised when I started looking into this visa process that I'd have to be without my passport for a time. So yeah, have to coordinate my travels accordingly. That's also why I'm thinking August will be a good time for me to apply. I'll have returned to the states from my most recent trip to England and it should give me enough time to get everything sorted before the holiday season begins.  :)

I would definitely advise paying for priority processing of your application. It's not cheap ($700) but wait times on average have been longer than ever this year, tend to get worse as we go in to summer, and there is no longer the official option to upgrade retroactively.

You might want to take a look at some of the timeline threads on the visa section to get a feel of how long it's currently taking.  :)

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »
I would definitely advise paying for priority processing of your application. It's not cheap ($700) but wait times on average have been longer than ever this year, tend to get worse as we go in to summer, and there is no longer the official option to upgrade retroactively.

You might want to take a look at some of the timeline threads on the visa section to get a feel of how long it's currently taking.  :)

Thank you! I'm definitely planning to shell out the extra money for priority. I know it's all worthwhile in the end!  :)

Sponsored Links