Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I qualified to work in the UK? (artists perspective especially helpful)  (Read 1885 times)

• My Digital Art Site
  • Liked: 0
So I have been having some trouble recently with moving to the UK. I have a LDR which is on it's 6th year now and I am desprately looking for a way to live in the UK with my S.O. Now I would be more than happy to get married and go through immigration that way, it would be very easy to apply for jobs but my S.O. has rservations about it still and isn't ready. I will not push them to do that so it's off the table atm. Needless to say things may not work out but either way I have come to the conclusion that I really love the UK and would be happy living there.
So all that jumbo aside I am currently looking to work in the UK for citizenship and simply because I would like to start my career. I have an AAS in Digital Arts and Multimedia (meaning I am qualified to do graphic design, and meida arts) I also have a portfolio website http://kellybostonart.wixsite.com/kebosart [nofollow] and tons of work to show off. I have a real passion for this stuff. I am also aware that there is an actual need for people like me in the UK (both Graphic Design and Media are listed on the UK.gov website).

Here's the problem, I have NO IDEA how to sell myself as a worker? I have no prvious work expierence in my field besides freelance and a small interenship job at a US college. I know AAS is a degree that is non-existant in the UK as well, so I worry employers will write me off as some American lunatic with a resume full of American based jobs and a fake degree. :-[
I will have to apply for middle range jobs atm because of my degree. I am fine with that and have decided instead of going into major debt to go from an AAS to a BA(probably would take two years and £22,000+ debt) I will go the career route and build up to a big job with a fancy souless corperation in the entertainment arts.
(hope all this makes some sense lol)
Any tips on where to get started as an artist looking for work in the UK?

• Liked: 170
Here's your real problem:

Unless you are looking for work that is covered by the shortage occupation's list, your future employer would have to prove that there is no one else in the entire EU who could do that job. I think it would be impossible for you to pass the resident labour market test as a graphic designer...

The current shortage occupation list is:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

A lot of people go through what you are going through and either spend thousands to be a student in the UK to be with their SO or they leap before they are ready and make the commitment to marry.

Good luck - it sounds like you're going to need it.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• My Digital Art Site
  • Liked: 0
Good luck - it sounds like you're going to need it.

Thanks? LOL

I am aware that there is a need for animators in the UK though I have also seen a need for designers as well they could have updated the list recently idk. But this just seems to be a huge roadblock barring me from ever getting a job unless I go into a full BA in Animation. I wasn't aware I was also competing with EU citizens as well that changes my optimism entirely. Even with a BA in Animation I would have to be sure there is no other UK/EU citizen who could do that job before me. AND now I've seen there are actually jobs in Graphic Design needed
3421 Graphic designers    Only the following jobs in this occupation code:
The following jobs in visual effects and 2D/3D computer animation for the film, television or video games sectors:

compositing artist matte painter modeller rigger stereo artist texture artist

so yes there is a need for someone like me.

But again as you stated the EU is included in a possible option for employees before outsider countries. So competition is high and chances of my being selectd are low. I am interested still about how to go about applying but now it's feeling a bit like my chances are one in a million. (I just wish there was an offical office or company I could speak with about this matter aside from fishing around the confusing GOV.UK website.)

• Liked: 3595
I am aware that there is a need for animators in the UK though I have also seen a need for designers as well they could have updated the list recently idk. But this just seems to be a huge roadblock barring me from ever getting a job unless I go into a full BA in Animation. I wasn't aware I was also competing with EU citizens as well that changes my optimism entirely. Even with a BA in Animation I would have to be sure there is no other UK/EU citizen who could do that job before me. AND now I've seen there are actually jobs in Graphic Design needed

As has been said, if the job isn't on the skills shortage list, at the salary required, you will be competing against all the other UK/EU applicants. In order to sponsor you for a work visa, the company would have to prove that they have advertised the job across first the UK, and then the rest of the EU for a certain amount of time (4 weeks, I believe), before they can hire you.

Essentially, they have to be able to say:
"We've scoured the UK and could not find anyone suitable, then we scoured the other 26 EU countries and could not find anyone suitable, which means we have to look to outside the EU to fill the vacancy because no one else can do it."

Also, even if you do get a sponsored job, in order to qualify for permanent residence after 5 years (based on the job), you would have to be earning at least around £38,000 at that time (it's currently £35,000, but the requirement will be increasing by 2021).

However, as you are probably already aware, if you were to get married and apply for a spousal visa, it would mean you could work in any job you like, without having to meet the sponsorship criteria - so you would be included in that first sweep of advertising to the UK and you should have the same chance at getting hired as a UK citizen.

I will have to apply for middle range jobs atm because of my degree. I am fine with that and have decided instead of going into major debt to go from an AAS to a BA(probably would take two years and £22,000+ debt)

If you were to do that, and completed your BA in the UK, you could live with your partner in the UK while you were studying, and once you had lived together for 2 years, you could qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa, without having to get married. Or you could marry during the degree and switch to a spousal visa.

Also, if you have a degree from a UK university, you would be exempt from meeting the Resident Market Labour Test, which means you could be sponsored for a work visa, without having to meet the requirements of having to show there are no UK/EU citizens to do the job.

So, I guess your options are:
- keep trying to find sponsorship for a job, but be aware of how difficult it could be
- study for your BA in the UK on a student visa, then try to get sponsorship for a job after graduation
or
- study for your BA in the UK and switch to either an unmarried partner visa when you qualify, or get married at some point and switch to a spousal visa
- get married sooner and apply for a spousal visa to move to the UK, then look for a job once you have the right to work in the UK with your spousal visa.

A lot of people here on the forum have had to make the decision to marry earlier than they wanted or were planning to, because it really was their only option to get a visa for the UK so they could live together.

It really does depend on your personal circumstances and what is going to work best for you though.

• Liked: 170
Thanks? LOL

so yes there is a need for someone like me.

But again as you stated the EU is included in a possible option for employees before outsider countries. So competition is high and chances of my being selectd are low. I am interested still about how to go about applying but now it's feeling a bit like my chances are one in a million. (I just wish there was an offical office or company I could speak with about this matter aside from fishing around the confusing GOV.UK website.)

If you can get one of the positions listed on the shortage occupation's list, the employer would NOT need to prove there is no one else who can do the job. I got the impression you were looking for general design jobs - but if you are a 2D/3D artist, get applying for jobs. If an employer really wants you they will make it work. If they don't really want you, they will use the visa as an excuse...

Sorry to be blunt, but honestly the work visa option is pretty bleak especially if you are not 'boots on the ground' and have contacts or can make contacts...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links