Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transitioning School Age Children from US to UK  (Read 2749 times)

• Liked: 4
Transitioning School Age Children from US to UK
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
My British husband & our 2 sons (9yo& 4yo), and I are planning to relocate to the UK (both my sons and my husband have US & UK passports). My 9yo is finishing up the 3rd grade here in CA as our school district doesn't allow the start of school until you are already 5 years old and my son is a November baby so he didn't start Kindergarten until he was nearly 6. This puts him a year behind in the UK. How will this be handled in the UK? He will not be comfortable being the oldest by nearly a year but he also is not academically advanced and I worry he will not transition easily to a jump in grades either.  We are considering putting him in a private school for the first year to try to help make the transition easier (he’s a bit timid and already dislikes school so we hoped a private or international school might help him—smaller class sizes, more attention from teachers, etc) but we could not afford to keep up his private school education.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle the transition? Any stories good or bad that we can learn from?  We live in a very progressive and somewhat sheltered area (the SF Bay area) and I must admit I worry that my son is going to be in for a shock leaving our area (UK or US for that matter).

Thank you in advance!
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Transitioning School Age Children from US to UK
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
I believe kids are grouped by age, regardless of ability. 

They should be fine.  It's more if kids start when it's secondary school here that is more of a concern.

You are doing opposite of us, we hope to move to the US around those same ages.   :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »
You are doing opposite of us, we hope to move to the US around those same ages.   :)

KFDancer, may I ask why you're moving back? Is it a work thing or is there some reason you don't want to stay in the UK for school years?
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
KFDancer, may I ask why you're moving back? Is it a work thing or is there some reason you don't want to stay in the UK for school years?

We prefer the US education system to the UK system.  My husband is certainly a success story of the UK system though.   :)

Mine are still young (3 year old girl, 5 week old boy).  A lot will depend on what kind of students they are.  The UK system is exam based, so you MUST be a good test taker to excel here.  Also the pressure to know what you want to be when you grow up at a very young age.  This path is then the path!  I had no clue that I would be doing the job I do now at 16.  If I had to pick back then, I wouldn't have made the right choice. 

The US system is more forgiving.  If you aren't a good test taker but are good at papers, presentations, projects, and participation, you can still do well.  Also there are so many paths to a university degree (community college, acceptance of more "mature" students, easy to go back to school in later years if desired).  And the cost.  I just looked it up and a 4 year degree at the school I went to is $17k.  Three years in the U.K. is £27k!

Our plans could certainly change but as of right now, we plan to be in the US prior to the start of secondary school.

I also think they start too young here.  On a local group, people frequently ask for tutors for their 5 and 6 year olds.  In my opinion, those kids should be playing and in after school activities, not buried in books worried about math!

Like I said, I know many many success stories with the UK system.  But you've got to fit the mold.  I really hope my kids don't have special needs, otherwise we'll definitely need to go back.  I would not have done well here (but am very successful due to the US system).  Needless to say this is just my opinion and not fact!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:29:57 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 57
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
I, too, hope to have my kids back in the US for high school for many of the reasons kfdancer has. When I moved here my kids were 5, but hadn't started kindergarten in the US, and we were required by law to put them in reception when they moved, even though they were in school for less than 2 months. I think that your son will very likely be skipped ahead from 3rd grade in the US to Year 5 in the UK, as everything, as said, is done by AGE not ability.

My boys spent the rest of reception and most of Year 1 playing catch up on phonics, reading, etc...luckily they are quite good at math and science already. I would say they are at or slightly ahead of their peers now, but it has taken the full two years for them to get there. However, I also find the school has had a lot of support in place to help them get caught up...from a Reading Recovery program because they missed all the beginning reading, to one on one help with other teachers, mentoring with an older child, and so forth.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 43
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Just to give another viewpoint: my daughter is a March birthday so she'll be five and a half before she starts school in August. We've been told that the school doesn't give homework, that they'd rather have kids spending time with their families and doing out-of-school activists like scouts, sports, etc. Her P1 year will be play-based.
So far so good.
Good luck with the move.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
Just to give another viewpoint: my daughter is a March birthday so she'll be five and a half before she starts school in August. We've been told that the school doesn't give homework, that they'd rather have kids spending time with their families and doing out-of-school activists like scouts, sports, etc. Her P1 year will be play-based.
So far so good.
Good luck with the move.

I should totally move to Scotland.  Everything sounds more logical up there!

• Liked: 57
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
So far so good.
Good luck with the move.

This is true for us. We only get homework on Fridays and it is due the following Weds. So we generally do it over the weekend so I don't have to worry about tired stroppy kids after school. Also, so far, they only get one sheet each for Math and English, plus a list (5-10) of spelling words each week, plus they are expected to read for 10 minutes per day and have a reading diary to fill in (we normally manage 4-5 days per week).
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab