Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse Visa Questions  (Read 3096 times)

• Liked: 4
Spouse Visa Questions
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »
Hi all
Wow this is all feeling very overwhelming.  I'm so very grateful that you are all here as a resource. I did not glean from the official UK.gov website how detailed and challenging this process is.

Here is my situation.  My husband (married 9/2/11), our 2 sons (9yo& 4yo), and I are planning to relocate to the UK (both my sons and my husband have US & UK passports). My husband is British but moved to the CA for work in 2000 and I moved to CA in 2006 from CT.  We have been together since 2006.  We are exhausted with the cost of living in the SF Bay Area and long to be near family.  Thus we have decided to move to the UK (DH has tons of family there). We have been talking about it for years but have finally decided to leave (rent is out of control, we want to leave before our 9yo is "too old", we long for family, etc).  Our final decision was only made about 1 month ago. We were hoping to move in time for our boys to start school in September but the Spouse Visa Application processing times are making that look unlikely (that and I have to sell a ton of stuff, arrange shipping of our belongings, prepare our pet shipping, etc).

My husband does not have a job yet thus we plan to use our savings to meet our financial requirements.   DH is looking for a job and could land one soon or not. So we're not exactly sure when to apply for my Visa.

Here are my questions:

- After I receive my Settlement Visa (Spouse Visa) and enter the UK, how long after can I leave again? I am considering applying for my Visa now and IF NEED BE, flying to the UK with the family (to find a place to live, start my sons at school) and then coming back to the US to deal with any loose ends.
- To that end, I read somewhere that you don't actually receive your Visa but rather once you arrive in the UK you will be sent something via post that you have to pick up at the post office. A card of some sort?  Is that correct? If so, how long does it usually take to arrive?
- Regarding ToR.  What are they looking for as Proof of Registration? We plan to use my in-laws address for our Settlement Visa Application as I mentioned.  Would I also use that for my ToR proof of registration? If so, do I use the same forms as proof (deed & letter from in-laws)?
- What are the most common mistakes people make on their Settlement Visa applications? What documents are missing? Is there a complete list of support documents on this forum?
- I plan to give my mom's address on the East Coast for return mailing on my Visa just in case it takes a LONG time. If my husband lands s job soon and has to move, I will head East with my boys to stay with my mom until my Visa arrives (so we don't have to keep renting our outrageously expensive home in CA).  Are there any issues with this?

Ok those are my questions for now...I'm sure there will be more 😃

Thanks in advance!
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

• Liked: 37
Re: Spouse Visa Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »
Yeah, the whole process does tend to overwhelm, but you seem to be putting the pieces into place!

I've applied but haven't yet received my visa, so my knowledge is limited, but I've asked some of your same questions in the past, so will chime in here on a few points.

Supporting documents list, from Ksand, that I found useful in preparing my application: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=88794.msg1152259#msg1152259
That list is six months old, so maybe getting to the end of its shelf life, but seems pretty close to fitting your situation.

Biometric Residence Permit or BRP, is the card that gets sent to a UK post office after your visa has been approved. You choose the post office during your online application. Once you pick up the BRP, you are supposed to be able to go back and forth from the UK until its expiration date, which would be in 2 1/2 years in our cases. So that would allow you to return to the US to deal with more joy here.

Schedule Fitting the timelines together has been a challenge for my wife & me, and will doubtless be more so for you with 2 young'uns.
  • When you complete the application, you have to choose a date you'd like to travel. That apparently can be no more than 90 days in the future.
  • When UKVI approves your visa, it gives you a 30-day window to travel recorded in a vignette (whatever exactly THAT is) in your passport ...
  • ... if your chosen date has already passed, the 30-day window starts around the time of the visa approval ...
  • ... if your chosen travel date is in the future, they might start your 30-day window about a week before your chosen date (that's what some recently approved people have been reporting).
  • Deep breaths :)
  • Your visa approval letter is supposed to tell you the date your BRP will be available from the PO you selected
  • you are required to pick up the BRP within 10 days of your arrival ...
  • ... or by the time your 30 day vignette expires...
  • ... whichever is later.
Wow, that IS a lot to take in, and it doesn't address some of your questions. People on this forum are awesome help though. You can do it.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »
Hi all
Wow this is all feeling very overwhelming.  I'm so very grateful that you are all here as a resource. I did not glean from the official UK.gov website how detailed and challenging this process is.

Here is my situation.  My husband (married 9/2/11), our 2 sons (9yo& 4yo), and I are planning to relocate to the UK (both my sons and my husband have US & UK passports). My husband is British but moved to the CA for work in 2000 and I moved to CA in 2006 from CT.  We have been together since 2006.  We are exhausted with the cost of living in the SF Bay Area and long to be near family.  Thus we have decided to move to the UK (DH has tons of family there). We have been talking about it for years but have finally decided to leave (rent is out of control, we want to leave before our 9yo is "too old", we long for family, etc).  Our final decision was only made about 1 month ago. We were hoping to move in time for our boys to start school in September but the Spouse Visa Application processing times are making that look unlikely (that and I have to sell a ton of stuff, arrange shipping of our belongings, prepare our pet shipping, etc).

My husband does not have a job yet thus we plan to use our savings to meet our financial requirements.   DH is looking for a job and could land one soon or not. So we're not exactly sure when to apply for my Visa.

Here are my questions:

- After I receive my Settlement Visa (Spouse Visa) and enter the UK, how long after can I leave again? I am considering applying for my Visa now and IF NEED BE, flying to the UK with the family (to find a place to live, start my sons at school) and then coming back to the US to deal with any loose ends.
- To that end, I read somewhere that you don't actually receive your Visa but rather once you arrive in the UK you will be sent something via post that you have to pick up at the post office. A card of some sort?  Is that correct? If so, how long does it usually take to arrive?
- Regarding ToR.  What are they looking for as Proof of Registration? We plan to use my in-laws address for our Settlement Visa Application as I mentioned.  Would I also use that for my ToR proof of registration? If so, do I use the same forms as proof (deed & letter from in-laws)?
- What are the most common mistakes people make on their Settlement Visa applications? What documents are missing? Is there a complete list of support documents on this forum?
- I plan to give my mom's address on the East Coast for return mailing on my Visa just in case it takes a LONG time. If my husband lands s job soon and has to move, I will head East with my boys to stay with my mom until my Visa arrives (so we don't have to keep renting our outrageously expensive home in CA).  Are there any issues with this?

Ok those are my questions for now...I'm sure there will be more 😃

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are planning to apply for FLR(M) when your first spousal visa expires in 33 months? If so, be careful to keep records of communication during time you are apart (i.e. if you fly back to the US).

Savings need to have been in your account for at least 6 full months, unless it's proceeds from the sale of your house. Even one day short can disqualify you, so be careful. On the upside, it's the easiest category to apply for.

Apply for your ToR ASAP. Are you living with your in-laws, and/or have you lived with them for the past 12 months? You need proof of living in the US for the past 12 months. This could be a lease, rental agreement, etc. If you haven't lived with your in-laws for the past 12 months, they can't vouch for you unless you're renting the house from them.

You would need, at minimum, to wait until you got your BRP before leaving the UK with your spousal visa.

The biggest mistakes people make here are:

1) Not taking advice seriously
2) Rushing an application instead of waiting to make sure ALL documents are gathered properly. One day missing from a financial statement can mean a rejection.
3) Not giving enough proof of genuine relationship if it's been a long marriage. You still need 1-2 photos, joint tax returns, or similar proof it's a real relationship
4) Forgetting the appendix or another crucial document
5) Not paying for priority when you have a tight timeline
6) Booking flights to the UK before you have a visa in hand
7) Not allowing enough time for the visa process. Right now I'd guess that priority processing time would be 6 or 7 weeks or more, and non-priority would be a minimum of 12 weeks and quite likely more than that (was as high as 5 months' wait last summer). You're applying during the peak summer rush and this year's wait times are record breaking, so everything's on the table.

Hope this is helpful! ksand and KFdancer and larrabee will have more specifics as you need them.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:40 AM »
When applying for FLR you don't need proof of contact (call logs, etc.) if you spend time apart, just the 6-12 pieces of post to prove you've been living together for the two years prior. ☺
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »

• Your visa approval letter is supposed to tell you the date your BRP will be available from the PO you selected
    • you are required to pick up the BRP within 10 days of your arrival ...
    • ... or by the time your 30 day vignette expires...
    • ... whichever is later.

Thank you for all the information! That was a huge help :)

As far as the BRP, you say I'd have to pick it up with in 10 days of arrival (or but the time the vignette expires). Does this mean that the BRP is guaranteed to be available for me to pick up with in 10 days?  Or is that another time line that seems to be slipping?

Once I have a Settlement Visa, is there a limit to how much time I can spend out of the country? eg if something should happen to my mother and I needed to come home to help her.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »

Apply for your ToR ASAP. Are you living with your in-laws, and/or have you lived with them for the past 12 months? You need proof of living in the US for the past 12 months. This could be a lease, rental agreement, etc. If you haven't lived with your in-laws for the past 12 months, they can't vouch for you unless you're renting the house from them.

Thank you AV, that really is a help.  Neither my husband nor I have lived in the UK in over a decade. We are moving back together. Me for the first time, him for the first time since 2001. My understanding was that we could provide a copy of my mother-in-laws deed, proving the home is of ample size, and a letter from her giving us permission to live in her home. Is that not correct?  We have been living in the US month-to-month for 1 1/2 years.  We have an original lease for the first year in the property here in CA but after that it was month to month. 

• Liked: 4985
    « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
      Thank you for all the information! That was a huge help :)

As far as the BRP, you say I'd have to pick it up with in 10 days of arrival (or but the time the vignette expires). Does this mean that the BRP is guaranteed to be available for me to pick up with in 10 days?  Or is that another time line that seems to be slipping?

Once I have a Settlement Visa, is there a limit to how much time I can spend out of the country? eg if something should happen to my mother and I needed to come home to help her.
    No, it's not always there.  This is the UK!  And UKVI!   ;). But it's usually there and most people don't have any issues.

There's no time limit on time spent outside the UK currently (though they did just put a restriction in place for work visas so may do the same for spouse visas).  Currently, you just have to prove that you've lived together during the duration of your visa.  If there were exceptional circumstances (sick mother and no one else able to take care of her), you'd need documentation and they should be okay with it.[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:05:21 AM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 6110
    « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »

Thank you AV, that really is a help.  Neither my husband nor I have lived in the UK in over a decade. We are moving back together. Me for the first time, him for the first time since 2001. My understanding was that we could provide a copy of my mother-in-laws deed, proving the home is of ample size, and a letter from her giving us permission to live in her home. Is that not correct?  We have been living in the US month-to-month for 1 1/2 years.  We have an original lease for the first year in the property here in CA but after that it was month to month.

You and AV are talking about two different things here.   :)  AV is discussing rules for the TOR, which is a relatively new thing and to do with shipping your belongings.

What you have said about living in the UK with your in-laws is correct it's fine to do that and as you mentioned,  you would just need to provide the deed and the letter of permission.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:56:12 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
    When applying for FLR you don't need proof of contact (call logs, etc.) if you spend time apart, just the 6-12 pieces of post to prove you've been living together for the two years prior. ☺

Really! Thanks for the clarification. I'll remember that for my own FLR.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
    You and AV are talking about two different things here.   :)  AV is discussing rules for the TOR, which is a relatively new thing and to do with shipping your belongings.

What you have said about living in the UK with your in-laws is correct it's fine to do that and as you mentioned,  you would just need to provide the deed and the letter of permission.

Thank you, larrabee! Sierradenver, what larrabee said.

If you plan to ship anything to the UK (above and beyond what you bring on the plane--checked and carry on luggage), you'll need the Transfer of Residence. That has NOTHING to do with your stated accommodation in the UK. It exempts you from paying import taxes for your belongings in the UK. They are ridiculously steep, so you MUST do this.

Accommodation, do what larrabee says. :D

• Liked: 4985
    « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
    Really! Thanks for the clarification. I'll remember that for my own FLR.

Yes, make sure you do NOT go paperless.  On ANYTHING.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
    Well it has been almost a year since my original post. After a temporary postponement due to my husband's work,my husband, children and I are finally planning to move to the UK in late June/early July 2018--only a year later than intended  ::). So I am just now applying for my spouse visa. Just as a refresher: I am American, my husband is British and our two sons have dual nationality.

I have a bunch of new questions. I've listed my questions below by topic. I hope it all makes sense. I've repeated some background info so no one has to go back through the old thread searching for facts  :D

1) Financial Requirements: as I stated earlier in this thread from last year, we plan to use our savings to meet our financial requirements and we have a sufficient amount as we had been saving for a home. My husband does not have a job lined up in the UK as he intends to freelance. I have requested 6 months of our bank monthly statements as proof of sufficient savings and I have printed 6 months of my husband's pay statements as proof of the origin of the savings.
    1a) is this sufficient evidence?
    1b) as pay statements are no longer printed but only available to print at home, do I still need to have these pages certified? If I do have to have them certified, who does this? My understanding is that a "notary public" can only certify specific forms requesting a notary.
    1c) My husband MAY continue to work for his present company (a US company) in a freelancing/contracting capacity after we move to the UK. Even though we have sufficient funds to meet the financial requirements, is there any benefit to having a letter from them stating his continuation work for them as a freelancer? (He hasn't informed his employer yet of his intentions to move thus we'd rather NOT ask for a letter unless it could affect the results of our spouse visa decision).

2) My mother-in-law and her partner have agreed to provide accommodation until we have found our own home. I have a copy of their "Land Registry Official Copy of Register of Deed" dated July 3, 2017 as we had initially intended to move last summer. However the letter they have provided expressing their willingness to house us indefinitely is dated March 13, 2018.
    2a) Is that sufficient or does the "Land Registry" document need to be more recent?
    2b) I have read on forums that it is really only the financial documents that need to stick to the 28 day rule, but is it beneficial to have the letter and/or the deed be newer?
    2c) Their is no information on the deed that clarifies number of rooms/bedrooms or size of the home. Is the only way to acquire this evidence by hiring a surveyor (or something similar) to assess the house?

3) Similar to 1b above, who is considered sufficient for "certifying" a copy of my husband's passport?

4)Relationship evidence: my husband and I met while we were both working in California in 2006. We had our first son in 2007 and have lived together since 2006. We married in 2011 and our second son was born in 2012. We have never lived a part so this is what I have put together for relationship evidence: marriage license, 8 photos of us taken over the past 10 years printed on one sheet of paper, the first page of our past 10 years of tax returns, the first page of all of our apartment/home leases from the past 10 years.
    4a) Do I need more than that? eg utility bills, etc?
    4b) Is the first page of our tax returns and eases sufficient or to they require the whole document as proof (can't imagine so as that would be VERY lengthy)?

5) Photo evidence:
    5a)Are you somehow penalized for providing more than 2 photos?
    5b) As stated in 4) I have simply placed 6 photos one sheet of regular 8 1/2 by 11 printer paper as we don't have any photos printed on photo pater any more; is that acceptable?
    5c) Our children are in a couple of the photos with us. Should I leave them out? We have SO few photos of us together alone.

I am VERY grateful for any of you who read all of this and answer :) I hope I'm not breaking etiquette with the long post. I wanted to put it all in one thread as was suggested in another post but I wasn't sure if I should throw it all out there or ask in bits.

I've been lurking on this forum for a year now, thank you to you all for posting and replying!

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
    Well it has been almost a year since my original post. After a temporary postponement due to my husband's work,my husband, children and I are finally planning to move to the UK in late June/early July 2018--only a year later than intended  ::). So I am just now applying for my spouse visa. Just as a refresher: I am American, my husband is British and our two sons have dual nationality.

I have a bunch of new questions. I've listed my questions below by topic. I hope it all makes sense. I've repeated some background info so no one has to go back through the old thread searching for facts  :D

1) Financial Requirements: as I stated earlier in this thread from last year, we plan to use our savings to meet our financial requirements and we have a sufficient amount as we had been saving for a home. My husband does not have a job lined up in the UK as he intends to freelance. I have requested 6 months of our bank monthly statements as proof of sufficient savings and I have printed 6 months of my husband's pay statements as proof of the origin of the savings.
    1a) is this sufficient evidence?
    1b) as pay statements are no longer printed but only available to print at home, do I still need to have these pages certified? If I do have to have them certified, who does this? My understanding is that a "notary public" can only certify specific forms requesting a notary.
    1c) My husband MAY continue to work for his present company (a US company) in a freelancing/contracting capacity after we move to the UK. Even though we have sufficient funds to meet the financial requirements, is there any benefit to having a letter from them stating his continuation work for them as a freelancer? (He hasn't informed his employer yet of his intentions to move thus we'd rather NOT ask for a letter unless it could affect the results of our spouse visa decision).

2) My mother-in-law and her partner have agreed to provide accommodation until we have found our own home. I have a copy of their "Land Registry Official Copy of Register of Deed" dated July 3, 2017 as we had initially intended to move last summer. However the letter they have provided expressing their willingness to house us indefinitely is dated March 13, 2018.
    2a) Is that sufficient or does the "Land Registry" document need to be more recent?
    2b) I have read on forums that it is really only the financial documents that need to stick to the 28 day rule, but is it beneficial to have the letter and/or the deed be newer?
    2c) Their is no information on the deed that clarifies number of rooms/bedrooms or size of the home. Is the only way to acquire this evidence by hiring a surveyor (or something similar) to assess the house?

3) Similar to 1b above, who is considered sufficient for "certifying" a copy of my husband's passport?

4)Relationship evidence: my husband and I met while we were both working in California in 2006. We had our first son in 2007 and have lived together since 2006. We married in 2011 and our second son was born in 2012. We have never lived a part so this is what I have put together for relationship evidence: marriage license, 8 photos of us taken over the past 10 years printed on one sheet of paper, the first page of our past 10 years of tax returns, the first page of all of our apartment/home leases from the past 10 years.
    4a) Do I need more than that? eg utility bills, etc?
    4b) Is the first page of our tax returns and eases sufficient or to they require the whole document as proof (can't imagine so as that would be VERY lengthy)?

5) Photo evidence:
    5a)Are you somehow penalized for providing more than 2 photos?
    5b) As stated in 4) I have simply placed 6 photos one sheet of regular 8 1/2 by 11 printer paper as we don't have any photos printed on photo pater any more; is that acceptable?
    5c) Our children are in a couple of the photos with us. Should I leave them out? We have SO few photos of us together alone.

I am VERY grateful for any of you who read all of this and answer :) I hope I'm not breaking etiquette with the long post. I wanted to put it all in one thread as was suggested in another post but I wasn't sure if I should throw it all out there or ask in bits.

I've been lurking on this forum for a year now, thank you to you all for posting and replying!

1 Just include bank statements covering at least the full 6 months. Don't include pay slips it's liable to confuse the situation. No benefit to including an employer letter, again you are likely to confuse the issue.

2 Only the financial evidence needs to be dated within 28 days.
    No need for a housing report, you will provide the number of rooms during the application and that can also be mentioned in the letter of permission

3 Regular photocopies have been being accepted for a while now but you could have it notarised quite cheaply at UPS for example.

4 No need to include the bulk of the tax returns. Do you have any physical cards or letters that you've sent each other? They are good to include if you have any.

5 You won't be penalised for sending too many photos or for sending ones that include your children. While we warn against overdoing the photos, that doesn't sound like it'll be a problem in your case. It is better to print them on photo paper if possible.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:38:52 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »

Not at all! It's always helpful to keep all of your information together and the summary you gave was particularly useful!   :)

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »

2 Only the financial evidence needs to be dated within 28 days.
    No need for a housing report, you will provide the number of rooms during the application and that can also be mentioned in the letter of permission

4 No need to include the bulk of the tax returns. Do you have any physical cards or letters that you've sent each other? They are good to include if you have any.

Thank you for the reply Larrabee  ;D

Do you know where in the application I provide the number of rooms in my MIL's house? I just reviewed my saved application and couldn't find a space for that information in my application. The section for that information ("What is the main address and contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK?") doesn't have space for it. Should I put that information in the "Additional Information" section? Or is this something my MIL should simply state in her permission letter?

I do have cards that my husband I have given each other as we've lived together all these years.  But they are not dated--just Christmas, birthday cards, etc. Would that be useful? If so, I presume I need to make a copy of it and send that as well if I hope to get the card back?

One more question, in the application I am asked for my employment information (which is minimal income as I am primarily a SAHM) but they don't ask about my husband's employment at all. Is this correct? I am not misreading this am I? They are asking for MY information, not my sponsors when it comes to employment?