Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trump Considers Surprise Visit to London This Week  (Read 2842 times)

• Liked: 1892
Trump Considers Surprise Visit to London This Week
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/812953/Donald-Trump-visit-London-Bridge-terror-attack

I've already told my kids that I will take them out of school if this happens so they can see me moon Trump.

Re: Trump Considers Surprise Visit to London This Week
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
I just wrote a letter of support to Sadiq Khan, telling him to keep up the pressure to get that visit cancelled. 

• Liked: 116
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
Ugh, can he just not??

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/812953/Donald-Trump-visit-London-Bridge-terror-attack

I've already told my kids that I will take them out of school if this happens so they can see me moon Trump.

Paint it orange.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »
Ugh, can he just not??

deleted my comment because I'm cranky today and realised I just really didn't even want to get political...but it pretty much started exactly like this hahahah
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
Too bad I missed it, I am exceptionally ornery today as well. 

I'm about as mad as I've ever been with Trump and that's saying something.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
haha Jim, it included a bit about building a "moon" wall LOL
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
Jeremy is coming on strong though!

C'mon team Labour!!!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
You never know, but I don't expect Trump to go to the U.K. till the well underway point in negotiations with the EU when it's useful to signal that the US will happily replace anything Europe threatens, and with better terms. Including easier work permits & immigration. The dust up with Germany serves the purpose well of making the rest of the EU believe the US would offer the UK better trade terms just because we can. I have no doubt May will use Trump to better her hand in those negotiations, nor that Trump will readily go along with that in order to crank up the volume of US-UK trade.

I'm sure at some point you'll get your chance to thumb your nose at the guy, but most likely it'll be when it serves a real state purpose in the interests of both countries. Not just some random mutual butt kissing affair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
You never know, but I don't expect Trump to go to the U.K. till the well underway point in negotiations with the EU when it's useful to signal that the US will happily replace anything Europe threatens, and with better terms. Including easier work permits & immigration. The dust up with Germany serves the purpose well of making the rest of the EU believe the US would offer the UK better trade terms just because we can. I have no doubt May will use Trump to better her hand in those negotiations, nor that Trump will readily go along with that in order to crank up the volume of US-UK trade.

I'm sure at some point you'll get your chance to thumb your nose at the guy, but most likely it'll be when it serves a real state purpose in the interests of both countries. Not just some random mutual butt kissing affair.

Things have changed!  May will be lucky to last until the middle of the Brexit negotiations, and Trump is looking less likely to last that long as well. 

I'm not certain the Trump administration is capable of the level of strategic thinking you credit them with.   I guess we'll see if both of them make it that long.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Not sure how true it was as I only saw it as a headline in passing while scrolling through my Facebook feed, but I saw that Trump said he was going to put off visit to the UK until the people actually wanted him there. I have a feeling that it was either a piece of satire or just utter bullsh*t to stay relevant in the headlines, but would be interesting if it were actually true.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
No matter what anyone's opinion of the guy might be, Trump will be around. People should get used to it.

If you hate him, the last thing you would want is President Pence. Plus it'd take the democrats winning essentially two thirds of both the house and senate in the midterms, which is absolutely impossible. Very very few districts are remotely competitive.

Unless he has tapes and starts destroying them, it is impossible to charge him with obstruction. Even Dershowitz says he has the absolute constitutional authority to straight up order the FBI not to investigate him & threaten jobs if they hesitate. It can never be obstruction because he's the president.

Collusion is done with. There's never been grounds for reasonable suspicion on that & Comey blew it out of the water.

This might go on for a while, but as long as Trump doesn't destroy evidence or perjure himself (don't know why he's testifying) then he's untouchable. The only thing any of this does is distract from the political agenda.

As far as May, we'll see. I've never been a fan of hers. Politics aside, she seems like a competent enough manager but not at all an inspiring leader. We'll see. Reporting is she has her coalition. I know there's still plenty teeth gnashing. It's kind of irrelevant though. Whoever that person is has little to do what Brexit negotiations. They just need to figure head better.

You can think what you want about Trump, I've never been much of a fan myself, but you should not underestimate some of the people working for them. The sort of strategic thinking they're capable of is unprecedented.

The reporting I've seen was essentially if there would be large street protests that present a terror target & which would be an embarrassment to the queen, then best to delay till a better time. I thought it was a mistake to say that cause it'll just encourage further protest to him coming, but that's what's being said.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
As of two hours ago, it seems it's that he "doesn't feel like it" (see link below) anytime soon. That's fine by me. The disrespect he showed after the terror attacks and to the Mayor is just unacceptable in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40241220
My, how time flies....

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
As of two hours ago, it seems it's that he "doesn't feel like it" (see link below) anytime soon. That's fine by me. The disrespect he showed after the terror attacks and to the Mayor is just unacceptable in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40241220
I thought that whole thing was pretty bad reporting. He didn't call out the don't be alarmed msg. That's out of context. He sent a couple prior msgs about the mayors prior statement that no refugee is a threat, then refugees will become a threat if not treated well, THEN don't be alarmed.

You may disagree with that msg, and certainly it wasn't the time for it, but in context it was a very different & more coherent msg than a Trump was being criticized for. That's the problem with twitter. It's hard to put a bunch of short statements in order, know what's connected or not with what other tweets, or discern all the things left out cause there just isn't space and the writer assumes the reader will understand what they mean. It's not a good medium for a president to be trying to have serious conversations.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
That's the problem with twitter. It's hard to put a bunch of short statements in order, know what's connected or not with what other tweets, or discern all the things left out cause there just isn't space and the writer assumes the reader will understand what they mean. It's not a good medium for a president to be trying to have serious conversations.

I agree that Twitter isn't a good medium for a president to have serious conversations. They why they usually don't have them on Twitter.

Tweets from politicians are usually (or should be) carefully worded and thought through by people trained to word things right (media & comms or PR people).

Trump isn't doing that. He's tweeting without giving a second thought and it's making him look like even more of an idiot than people already thought he was.

His apparent lack of empathy, especially with the Borough Market attack, is upsetting people and they're right to protest his visit (or the possibility of a visit).

He is president (blech!) but in my opinion, he isn't acting very presidential. All of this does make good TV, but I'd much rather watch this drama unfold knowing it's not real. It's more scary than entertaining when it's real life.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab