Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trump Considers Surprise Visit to London This Week  (Read 2821 times)

• Liked: 6
Re: Trump Considers Surprise Visit to London This Week
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »
How about instead of retweeting a source though you just say "thoughts go out to London" and leave it at that? That was literally not even the *second* tweet but the third over an hour after his initial tweet. We can just agree to disagree on that because that - to me - was wrong. If after the Boston Marathon bombing, the PM tweeted saying "notice we aren't talking about gun control because they used bombs" or something to that effect, would that be appropriate? It's disrespectful to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get the disrespectful, ill timed, classlessness of the whole thing. I'm not arguing any of that. I basically agree with you.

I'm saying understand that what he said was oversimplified and taken out of context leaving it to seem illogical, and that's just not accurate. What he said in context was entirely appropriate. It was just not well timed.

I understand the politics of some people here are very different than that of the president. That's fine. But I can distinguish between illogical lunatic rants and legitimate policy arguments directed at specific audiences even though I may totally disagree with the arguments and even if they're badly timed or poorly delivered. That's all.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:04 PM »
I get the disrespectful, ill timed, classlessness of the whole thing. I'm not arguing any of that. I basically agree with you.

I'm saying understand that what he said was oversimplified and taken out of context leaving it to seem illogical, and that's just not accurate. What he said in context was entirely appropriate. It was just not well timed.

I understand the politics of some people here are very different than that of the president. That's fine. But I can distinguish between illogical lunatic rants and legitimate policy arguments directed at specific audiences even though I may totally disagree with the arguments and even if they're badly timed or poorly delivered. That's all.

Again, its agree to disagree I think because I can't see the legitimate arguments that bringing up this "not being a discussion about gun control" contributed to. To me, it very much sounded like a random, illogical lunatic rant that was also poorly timed. Again, I'm not on twitter so perhaps I missed where this came into play and perhaps once we see all the tweets it will make more sense. But, at the moment, I can't agree with that. And that's totally fine because everybody is going to have a different opinion. I totally respect yours, I just don't agree with it.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
Again, I'm not on twitter so perhaps I missed where this came into play and perhaps once we see all the tweets it will make more sense.

Trumps Tweets on 4th, 5th and 6th June in response to the London attacks (in order - there a couple of others not related to the attacks/travel security which I haven't copied):

1) Jun 4th 12:17 AM
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  Jun 4
 We need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!

2) Jun 4th 12:24 AM
 Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there - WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!

(12 hours later)

3) Jun 4th 12:29 PM
 We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse

4) Jun 4th 12:31 PM
 At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

5) Jun 4th 12:43 PM
 Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!

6) Jun 5th 11:29 AM
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  Jun 5
 People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!

7) Jun 5th 11:37 AM
 The Justice Dept. should have stayed with the original Travel Ban, not the watered down, politically correct version they submitted to S.C.

8 ) Jun 5th 11:44 AM
 The Justice Dept. should ask for an expedited hearing of the watered down Travel Ban before the Supreme Court - & seek much tougher version!

9) Jun 5th 2:35 PM
 In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people coming into the U.S. in order to help keep our country safe. The courts are slow and political!

10) Jun 5th 2:49 PM
 Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!

11) Jun 6th 2:20 AM
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  Jun 6
 That's right, we need a TRAVEL BAN for certain DANGEROUS countries, not some politically correct term that won't help us protect our people!

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
Love or hate the guy, if he links to your article then it'll get a million hits and that your advertisers have to pay you for.

I could sell 6 year olds into the child sex trade or dogs to dogfighters or meds I stole from elderly people living on social security and make an asswad of money too. Wouldn't be worth being the dirtbag I'd have to be to do it.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
Trumps Tweets on 4th, 5th and 6th June in response to the London attacks (in order - there a couple of others not related to the attacks/travel security which I haven't copied):

We need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!

Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there - WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!

(12 hours later)

We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse

At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!

People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!

The Justice Dept. should have stayed with the original Travel Ban, not the watered down, politically correct version they submitted to S.C.

The Justice Dept. should ask for an expedited hearing of the watered down Travel Ban before the Supreme Court - & seek much tougher version!

In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people coming into the U.S. in order to help keep our country safe. The courts are slow and political!

Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!

That's right, we need a TRAVEL BAN for certain DANGEROUS countries, not some politically correct term that won't help us protect our people!

Thanks for these! Will look through them when I have more time in a bit :)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
Okay, so we've got the tweets.  I'd really like Texas to show me the part where Trumps attack on Khan is in context of anything.  So far I am not convinced.  I'm talking specifically about the one about "nothing to be alarmed about " so far I'm just seeing what the rest of the world has seen, a classless attack .

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »

(12 hours later)

Ah right okay. I was under the impression that the comment about guns was made prior to him even saying his thoughts were with the UK. That is my misunderstanding. While I still don't think the majority of his tweets were appropriate, I am less peeved knowing the order.

He is still, however, taking the "nothing to be alarmed about" out of context completely and I don't see what being "politically correct" has to do with anything because I don't see where this became a discussion about political correctness? And his use of throwing the travel ban in there....only one of the people who committed the London attacks - for example - would have been affected potentially (I say potentially because it's been reported that he claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan from the reports I saw so it'd be a 50-50 depending on which of the two he actually came from). The other two, I believe if I remember correctly, were Italian and a British citizen (he was born in Pakistan but was a citizen here so I'm not sure how long ago he came here -- but it wouldn't matter as I don't believe Pakistan was on that list). It's very obvious he's using this to try to further his own agenda and it's angering to me.

And, again, the whole issue about "not having a gun debate" was just idiotic to me. What was the point of it? As Tex pointed out, twitter is not the platform for a President to be making statements. He's assuming we are easily filling in the gaps between what he's saying in his tweets and the message he's attempting to convey and it's just not working in my opinion.

Thank you again Ksand for pasting these for me :) (I only just had the time and brain power to properly go through these)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
Khan previously said zero threat from refugees. Then refugees will become a threat if not treated well. Then reports of refugees perpetuating an attack. Then, don't be alarmed (by police presence).

Contemporaneously though, Khan was repping Labour before and after the attack blaming May for prior cuts to law enforcement & saying the best defense against terrorism is multiculturalism and progressive govt who will take in lots of refugees with little background checks & no monitoring while giving generous benefits. Now you may agree with that, I don't know, but obviously Trump does not.

Hey Texas, could you please quote some of the tweets from Mayor Khan where he says these things?  They don't sound like the kind of thing that Sadiq Khan normally says, so I would be pretty surprised.   It does sound like the kind of thing that a Trump supporter would believe he said, but I know that's not you. 

If you post those, then we can get on with finding that context where Trump's tweet is not disgusting.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
& saying the best defense against terrorism is multiculturalism and progressive govt who will take in lots of refugees with little background checks & no monitoring while giving generous benefits.

This is a bit of a misrepresentation.

Has anyone actually said that refugees should have  "little background checks" and/or "no monitoring while giving generous benefits"?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
This is a bit of a misrepresentation.

Has anyone actually said that refugees should have  "little background checks" and/or "no monitoring while giving generous benefits"?

My assumption (but you know what they say about people who assume) is no. I can't imagine any (at least in a first world country) leader would say "We need to bring in all the refugees we can! The more the better! But background checks? Nahhh! No reason to monitor them! And, of course, they'll need benefits as well! Best make sure they're taken care of!". That idea seems bizarre to me...but happy to hold off on that judgement until we see a quote that clearly states that as weirder things have been happening in the world today.

I did a quick google search and I couldn't find anything remotely fitting that bill so I'll wait for Tex to share as perhaps he's seen it somewhere specific.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:47:18 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »
My assumption (but you know what they say about people who assume) is no. I can't imagine any (at least in a first world country) leader would say "We need to bring in all the refugees we can! The more the better! But background checks? Nahhh! No reason to monitor them! And, of course, they'll need benefits as well! Best make sure they're taken care of!". That idea seems bizarre to me...but happy to hold off on that judgement until we see a quote that clearly states that as weirder things have been happening in the world today.

Didn't Merkel do pretty much that?

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Didn't Merkel do pretty much that?

Again, I've yet to see anybody blatantly say "I'm happy to take in everybody with little to no background checks, and support them with benefits. We don't even care what they get up to, so no need to keep tabs on them". That might just be me missing those news articles so happy to be shown otherwise.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
Search Merkel open door policy.

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
Still not really found any results that equate to the above. Maybe I'm just not finding the right articles.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
My understanding is that Merkel's policy was about specific countries, probably Syria and Afghanistan.  I think those people could stay, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that there were no checks afterwards.

Sponsored Links