Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to do about issue with neighbor and trash?  (Read 8823 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: What to do about issue with neighbor and trash?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
You are right, it's not unreasonable to request that they stop doing it and common courtesy would require it.  But common courtesy would also require you to at least tell them of your request before contacting the landlord, or the council, or anyone else.  But I've already said that. 

I wanted to post that there should be a management company that is responsible for the common areas in the building, and they share your desire for the common areas to be clear of garbage.  More importantly, they have the most power to enforce it.  That organisation is the one I would be approaching.  Your letting agent might know who they are, so would any owners of flats.  One of the flat owners might even be the head of that organisation .

Good Luck

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Exactly, there is worse than this and movig is a huge gamble. It's just that this could lead to a HUGE vermin problem and I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to look at or smell dirty diapers! Lol

Definitely not unreasonable to not want to be walking by this constantly (to the point that it's spilling over into your area) and I wouldn't want to be doing it for them (as, in my opinion, it would either just enable them to continue because you're cleaning up their mess or cause them to be irritated that you're messing around with their stuff - rubbish or not).

The letter sounds nice. It doesn't have to be passive aggressive, as others noted.It gives them a chance (maybe even take a picture of it- extreme I know - but in case it escalates after the note is sent so you can show you made initial contact at a certain date/time). If it's then not resolved then just keep escalating it up the chain starting with the management. You shouldn't have to move because people are being, in my opinion, disrespectful. I can appreciate leaving it out over night so that it can be taken down first thing in the morning, but even then, I would probably still have it in my house (just me personally). It would start to be irritating when they leave it there for days and sometimes not even in bags (and you have cheese winding up in front of yours!). I can appreciate them having a tough time potentially, but this is something that could easily be remedied. There's having a tough time and then there's being what I would consider a bit rude. Just personal opinion though.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
I can appreciate leaving it out over night so that it can be taken down first thing in the morning, but even then, I would probably still have it in my house (just me personally). It would start to be irritating when they leave it there for days and sometimes not even in bags (and you have cheese winding up in front of yours!)

This is the thing. They should keep it inside their door to take down in the morning. Not subject the rest of the neighborhood to their filth. If it is too nasty for them to keep inside, it should be taken straight to the bins not left for their neighbors to trip over.

maybe even take a picture of it- extreme I know

And I don't think taking pictures is extreme at all. It would be the first thing I'd do in that situation.  :)

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »

And I don't think taking pictures is extreme at all. It would be the first thing I'd do in that situation.  :)

haha I know some people think it's extreme to document that kind of stuff but I would rather document the communication and not need it (as it's an additional 5 seconds out of my life that I can then delete if unnecessary) than assume it will all work out okay. I think maybe I just watch too many murder documentaries like "Nightmare Next Door" and stuff hahaha  ;)  ;D but I just always would rather be over-prepared!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
So here's an update.  We initially contacted our flat manager.  However, they don't manage that flat, so they have no pull.  They're very sympathetic but they seem to only be able to advise.

We then, following advice here and from them, tried making contact via a polite note, which I took a photo of.  We left it in their slot yesterday after I opened the door yesterday morning and found that a creature of some type (or maybe the wind, but it seems unlikely) knocked over the bag and a number of crisp bags and things (like, the plastic top to an instant food container that had contained some kind of sauce) were scattered on the pathway.  I also took a photo of that.

Today the note is crumpled up on the top of the trash bag that is STILL THERE.  The girl picked up the trash that had scattered but instead of bringing it to the rubbish area she just put it in another plastic bag and left it there.  These people are obviously not considerate or open to reasonable communication (I promise my husband and I wrote the note together and it was not inflammatory at all, and was very brief).

I visited our flat manager at the office on my way home and he said that considering that, his advice is to go to the council.  So that's what I'm going to have to do, I'm afraid.  I had hoped that knowing this is unsafe/inconvenient would be enough for them to stop but obviously the note being crumpled up in plain sight is a big EFF YOU to us (especially considering the fact that whoever did it, did it before going out PAST the rubbish area).  I really hadn't wanted to go 'nuclear' but if this is what our manager says to do, I'm going to do it.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
Sorry that this situation has ended up requiring escalation :(

I would document your contact with the council as well as best as you can (Maybe email where you mention wanting to discuss and issue and asking what they recommend as this will help establish a timeline). Continue to photograph when they have trash strewn about and are being inconsiderate for evidence just in case.

Best of luck with the council!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
Don't overlook the positive development- they read your note and picked up the trash that had blown around.  That's a real indicator that they are considerate enough to recognise that letting trash get around your area is wrong and they'll clean it up.  At least they recognised that if trash is in the hall, it has to be tidy.  This is a significant victory in British passive aggressive war with neighbours.

Seriously, I wouldn't get too wound up about the note being crumpled where you could see it, it's not necessarily a giant FU.  It could be a FU from the man, when the woman actually has the conscience and will eventually comply.  It could have been completely without malice on their part, like they are both autistic and it never occurred to them.  After all, after the note was read it was trash, and trash goes in the hall.... 

I think you're chances of the nuclear option working are very small.   I would look at the only approach that has accomplished anything so far , and that is communication, non aggression and gentle coercion.  Next time you see the lady, thank her for tidying up.  Then maybe you could mention off hand that the next goal could be for them to take the trash down the very next time they go out. 

Hope this helps.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Guess who got a reply note through the box basically saying that she's not going to change...?

Extra bonus points because it's riddled with spelling and grammar issues.  Invented the language, my ass.
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
Don't overlook the positive development- they read your note and picked up the trash that had blown around.  That's a real indicator that they are considerate enough to recognise that letting trash get around your area is wrong and they'll clean it up.  At least they recognised that if trash is in the hall, it has to be tidy.  This is a significant victory in British passive aggressive war with neighbours.

Seriously, I wouldn't get too wound up about the note being crumpled where you could see it, it's not necessarily a giant FU.  It could be a FU from the man, when the woman actually has the conscience and will eventually comply.  It could have been completely without malice on their part, like they are both autistic and it never occurred to them.  After all, after the note was read it was trash, and trash goes in the hall.... 

I think you're chances of the nuclear option working are very small.   I would look at the only approach that has accomplished anything so far , and that is communication, non aggression and gentle coercion.  Next time you see the lady, thank her for tidying up.  Then maybe you could mention off hand that the next goal could be for them to take the trash down the very next time they go out. 

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't call shoving trash to the side instead of putting it in a bin tidying up, and it happened before the note.

In her reply note to me (posted same time as your post) it is clear it is her, and she will not be changing her behavior.
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
Doh!  Looks like I read that wrong. 

Go Nuclear!   

Contact the management company for the building as well as the council.  They will be able to complain to the flat owner and force compliance. 

If you want to fight nasty, tell the council you saw a rat inside.  You could have seen one out of the corner of your eye

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »
Ps, pls post the note

• Liked: 43
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
They will not get evicted because they don't take out their trash properly. Unless they suddenly *feel* like dealing with their rubbish in a more considerate fashion, nothing is going to change. Give up now. It's only going to get worse from here if you push it.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
Lol, I feel like now that I have jimbocz permission I am in the clear!  ;D  I won't be giving up, I will be pursuing the council route which from my research can fine her for doing this.  I am not trying to evict her.

Ps, pls post the note

'Hi,

Im a single mum off 2 its very hard to take rubbish bags down as I would have to take both kids with me!! [NB: she walks by the rubbish area every day, it is at most a 30 second walk, like if you were VERY slow]  And as for the rats [mouse, singular, and seagulls, but whatever] thats got 'NOTHING' to do with me as rats been running about before Imoved here, there coming from--downstairs ''NOT MY FAULT''

SINCERELY YOUR NEIGHBOUR!!!'

Brackets are my own notes inside, but the internal spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization are all hers.
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
By the way....we're not sure she actually is a single mother....there is a boyfriend there every day so surely one or the other could do a quick trash run.
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »

Seriously, I wouldn't get too wound up about the note being crumpled where you could see it, it's not necessarily a giant FU.

In fairness, I do agree that the note being left where you could see it might not be an intentional FU even though it feels that way. They might literally might not have even thought about it or put much stock into their actions.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links