Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Interview @ Bank?  (Read 624 times)

• Liked: 10
Interview @ Bank?
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »
Okay, lovely ladies and gentlemen!!! I have an interview at a bank in the next few days and I'm really excited for it. I'm very glad to even be given the opportunity at an interview as I've never held a job before, just have loads of experience in taking care of kids & volunteering. Are there any tips you could give me beforehand whether they be specific to working at a bank or not? Thanks.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Interview @ Bank?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
My only piece of advice is to be yourself!  If they don't like you for you, it's not the right place to work.   :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
Great advice from KFd!  Good luck!   :D

• Liked: 1891
Interview @ Bank?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
It's obvious, but I'll say it anyway: Show up on time or a few minutes early.  If some catastrophe happens, call to say you will be late. 

I'd also suggest having a few questions ready , even better if they show you've done some research. 

Most importantly, If you like what you hear and you want the job, tell the interviewer straight out.  Don't just assume they know.  "This position sounds like it's a great fit for me and I'm really excited.  What's the next step?"

Bring a pen and at least one copy of your CV.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:40:50 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
Good luck :).

My tips:
- dress smart... you can never be overdressed for an interview, but you can be underdressed... and look tidy (clean shoes, neat hair, no wild piercings etc.)
- be confident (even if you don't feel it inside)
- hold eye contact and smile
- have a good handshake
- keep up your professional demeanour both before and after the interview, even as you walk out of the room/building. Assume they are still observing you and your reactions outside of the interview space

For the interview:
- think of some questions to ask at the interview... even if they seem silly or trivial - having questions shows you are interested and prepared

- if they ask about things like evidence of team work, or situations where you've handled pressure, try to think outside the box. Everyone will have some generic story about group work in school or project deadlines - they've heard it all before... but if you have something not related to work/academics, it makes you seem more interesting. For example, when I interviewed for my current job, my team working example was the challenge of climbing a volcano in Guatemala with 16 people in the middle of the night.

An anecdote from my brother's experience:
When he was at university, he was interviewing for his industrial placement year. The first interview he went to, he was a mess - didn't dress smart, had long, messy Sun-In hair, had a chin piercing, and was not prepared at all. He didn't get the placement.

For his next interview, he cleaned up - took out the piercing, cut his hair, got rid of the Sun-In, bought a suit, shined his shoes... and he learned all about interview etiquette. He got the job and his new boss said he aced the interview - that it was like he'd read the book on how to give a perfect interview :).

• Liked: 10
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
Thank you so much guys!!

• Liked: 154
Interview @ Bank?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
All of the above of valid points.

Good luck!!! I hope you get it!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:18:37 PM by Eh127929 »

• Liked: 134
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
As others have said, be confident in yourself.  You got an interview so you've already impressed them once.  Keep that up!  When they ask you for examples or ask you a question, don't just rush into an answer.  Give yourself a second or two to process what you want to say.  As long as there's not a 5 minute awkward pause, things will still flow.  Also, be yourself.  Obviously you want to treat the situation with due respect but also allow your personality to show through.  I would much rather get a glimpse of the person with whom I may be working than have someone who is so formal that all the interactions seem forced.

Good luck!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 154
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »
I had a phone interview at a bank, I turned down the in person interview for another job.

They asked me a lot of situational questions. I don't having banking experience but I tried to put myself in that situation to think what the best solution would be.

Sorry I was busy and couldn't write this in yesterday.

I had to take a maths test online too. I'm not bad at math, but I felt very pressured as each question had a time limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
In addition to the great points you've been given, my advice is to be kind to everyone you come across on your interview day.

I know this isn't the same as a bank, but I interviewed at a childcare centre and when I was offered the job, they said I was the only person they interviewed who went down on my knees to the kids' level to interact with them. Interviewers will notice if you're friendly toward other staff members or customers, so go the extra mile.

More recently, I worked as a receptionist and organised interviews. Sometimes I'd be the one to greet them at the door and often the interviewers would ask me later what my impression of the candidate was.

Your interaction with other people in the office, besides the interviewers, could potentially be your key to landing the job, even if it's just a smile, holding the door for someone or saying an extra 'thank you'. Keep this in mind from before you even step inside the door to after you leave (remember they could still be watching you through the window after you leave... people are nosey!).  Plus, if you get the job, the people who noticed your kindness will be more excited to work with you.

Good luck! ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
I know this isn't the same as a bank, but I interviewed at a childcare centre and when I was offered the job, they said I was the only person they interviewed who went down on my knees to the kids' level to interact with them. Interviewers will notice if you're friendly toward other staff members or customers, so go the extra mile.

This brought back memories!  When I was looking at nurseries for my daughter, one Ofsted "outstanding" nursery I went to...  I was given a tour by the owner who was wearing a business suit.  She seemed so formal and just wasn't warm and engaging.  When I looked at the Ofsted "good" nursery that we ended up choosing.  The manager gave the interview.  She was constantly having to tell kids she would play with them in a bit and wiping noses.  I knew that she must be warm and loving to all the kids as they were running up to her and asking her to do things, meaning she must usually say yes!  A few years later she is affectionately known as "crazy Karen" in our house (the owner is also named Karen).  We definitely made the right choice and it was all down to interaction with others, not how they were on paper.   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab