Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello Folks (and yes that's my name LOL)  (Read 1095 times)

• Liked: 3
Hello Folks (and yes that's my name LOL)
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
Hello Folks

I've been thinking about going abroad for some time now and since I haven't picked up a foreign language, I decided to go to a place where they speak English.  I'm thanking everyone in advance for your advice and opinions. 

• Liked: 1260
Re: Hello Folks (and yes that's my name LOL)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
Hiya!

Anything in particular you are wanting help with? Your post is just a bit vague as it's a pretty big topic. Are you from the US or the UK?? Are you wanting to go abroad long term/short term?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 60
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »
Hi, Hello Folks! Ask whatever questions you have - everyone here is great at answering things!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Hiya!

Anything in particular you are wanting help with? Your post is just a bit vague as it's a pretty big topic. Are you from the US or the UK?? Are you wanting to go abroad long term/short term?
Hello,

Yes, I was born in the States and I'm thinking about expanding.  I don't have immediate family so I don't have to worry about uprooting people.  As far as going overseas, I'm thinking about long term. 

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Hi, Hello Folks! Ask whatever questions you have - everyone here is great at answering things!  ;D
Thanks, I'm reading everyone's posts with great interest. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 08:00:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

Yes, I was born in the States and I'm thinking about expanding.  I don't have immediate family so I don't have to worry about uprooting people.  As far as going overseas, I'm thinking about long term.

If you want to move to the UK, the biggest hurdle is going to be qualifying for a visa.

A few questions:

- do you have any claim to UK citizenship (a parent born in the UK)?
- do you have any claim to EU citizenship (a parent or possibly grandparent born in a European country?

If the answer to the above is no, then you'll need to qualify for a visa for the UK to move here.

Your options would be:
- Tier 2 work visa... sponsorship for a job through a UK company (or a transfer to a UK branch of your US company)
- Tier 4 student visa... study for a degree in the UK
- Family visa... but only if you are either engaged or married to a UK citizen (or have been living with them as a couple in the US for at least 2 years)
- Or if you have a ton of money (i.e. millions), there are the Tier 1 Entrepreneur and Tier 1 Investor visas

What qualifications do you have? What industry do you currently work in? Are you in a position where a transfer to the UK with your current US company would be feasible?

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Hello,

I think you'll find it quite hard to come here long term without any ties. You cold try looking at coming over here perhaps on a student visa and maybe study over here? The other option potentially is work visa but, again, that might be difficult as you'll need to find a company who can prove the job can't be filled locally and be willing to sponsor you. It's not impossible, it's just more difficult.

Are you wanting U.K. Specifically or is somewhere like Canada a potential option? Last time I looked for somebody else, it seemed a bit less difficult with its qualifications.  Have you thought about teaching English abroad somewhere like Japan? I know a few people who've done that type of thing and it's a pretty cool opportunity and I'm sure it's more than just Japan that offers that opportunity :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:04:05 PM »
Hello, Hello Folks! Welcome.  ;D

What field are you in?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

If you want to move to the UK, the biggest hurdle is going to be qualifying for a visa.

A few questions:

- do you have any claim to UK citizenship (a parent born in the UK)?
- do you have any claim to EU citizenship (a parent or possibly grandparent born in a European country?

If the answer to the above is no, then you'll need to qualify for a visa for the UK to move here.

Your options would be:
- Tier 2 work visa... sponsorship for a job through a UK company (or a transfer to a UK branch of your US company)
- Tier 4 student visa... study for a degree in the UK
- Family visa... but only if you are either engaged or married to a UK citizen (or have been living with them as a couple in the US for at least 2 years)
- Or if you have a ton of money (i.e. millions), there are the Tier 1 Entrepreneur and Tier 1 Investor visas

What qualifications do you have? What industry do you currently work in? Are you in a position where a transfer to the UK with your current US company would be feasible?
Thanks,

Well, a big no to the first two and an even bigger no to the million dollar thing.  As far as industry, I'm was a government worker in the States.  I also have a couple of degrees (Management and Information Assurance). 

I'm thinking working for an international firm so I can get a Visa that way? 

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
I think you'll find it quite hard to come here long term without any ties. You cold try looking at coming over here perhaps on a student visa and maybe study over here? The other option potentially is work visa but, again, that might be difficult as you'll need to find a company who can prove the job can't be filled locally and be willing to sponsor you. It's not impossible, it's just more difficult.

Are you wanting U.K. Specifically or is somewhere like Canada a potential option? Last time I looked for somebody else, it seemed a bit less difficult with its qualifications.  Have you thought about teaching English abroad somewhere like Japan? I know a few people who've done that type of thing and it's a pretty cool opportunity and I'm sure it's more than just Japan that offers that opportunity :)

Interesting,

As far as Japan goes, I don't speak the language and that would be difficult to me.  As far as Canada goes, I basically want to leave the whole land mass. 

I do get that union rules are union rules so I don't feel too bad about that.  I do get that it's going to be difficult so I will be prepared.  As far as student Visa, I graduated years ago

Thanks for your information BTW

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
Oh, and before I forget, I would like to thank everyone for their info.  Right now I'm on the go and typing so I don't want to be rude and forget to thank folks. 

Thanks

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
Interesting,

As far as Japan goes, I don't speak the language and that would be difficult to me.  As far as Canada goes, I basically want to leave the whole land mass. 

I do get that union rules are union rules so I don't feel too bad about that.  I do get that it's going to be difficult so I will be prepared.  As far as student Visa, I graduated years ago

Thanks for your information BTW

Everybody I know that has gone to teach English in non-English speaking countries (like My Japan example) was not fluent (or even relatively close) to speaking Japanese. You don't need to speak Japanese to go there and teach. I've not been there myself but we're planning a trip next year and I'm told it's not difficult to communicate at all of you don't speak Japanese at all. You might find  a lot of other "non-English" speaking countries are actually not too hard to navigate as an English speaker. It might be worth looking into as it will expand your options for moving somewhere new.

As far as already having graduated uni, you could always do a graduate study if you're so inclined (I wouldn't blame you if you weren't as I'm not a person who massively enjoys being in school).

My, how time flies....

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Everybody I know that has gone to teach English in non-English speaking countries (like My Japan example) was not fluent (or even relatively close) to speaking Japanese. You don't need to speak Japanese to go there and teach. I've not been there myself but we're planning a trip next year and I'm told it's not difficult to communicate at all of you don't speak Japanese at all. You might find  a lot of other "non-English" speaking countries are actually not too hard to navigate as an English speaker. It might be worth looking into as it will expand your options for moving somewhere new.

As far as already having graduated uni, you could always do a graduate study if you're so inclined (I wouldn't blame you if you weren't as I'm not a person who massively enjoys being in school).

LOL

I don't mind schooling, I like opening my mind however, when you have to pay back the loans, that's when you have to open your wallet.  That being said, I already have a Grad degree.  Would they go for a person getting another one?

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »
Hey Hello Folks,

I am sort of in the same boat you are in. I am looking at my options and seeing what will be available to me within the next few years. I hope you get what you are wanting out of life and get the move that you are hoping for. I myself am extremely eager to be heading over to the U.K. I still have 3-5 years to wait, but I am sure in the long run it will totally be worth it. Good luck in your hunt for a Visa.

~Silver 

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 09:39:12 PM »
Hey Hello Folks,

I am sort of in the same boat you are in. I am looking at my options and seeing what will be available to me within the next few years. I hope you get what you are wanting out of life and get the move that you are hoping for. I myself am extremely eager to be heading over to the U.K. I still have 3-5 years to wait, but I am sure in the long run it will totally be worth it. Good luck in your hunt for a Visa.

~Silver
Thanks

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab