Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Target & Bed, bath, and beyond alternatives  (Read 3598 times)

• Liked: 56
Re: Target & Bed, bath, and beyond alternatives
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
Yeah this lack of a Target thing really bugs. And its impossible just to "get a few small fun things" for the house. And no, the pound shop doesn't count.

Someone at OH's work suggested wayfair and they seem to have little odds and ends that aren't too tacky. Things like a nice wicker basket to store things in the bathroom.

Ive noticed IKEA prices here are a total ripoff tho.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »
Not an alternative to Target by any means (because nothing is...gosh I miss it), but try Wilko. Cheap bits and bobs including home stuff. They also have an online store that ships.
2006: Met DH to be in London
2006-2010: LDR, with one year spent in UK in post-grad school
2010: Moved to London on Tier 1 PSW visa
2011: Engaged
2012: Married
2014: ILR Approved at PEO Croydon
2015: I'm finally British!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 10:41:01 AM »

And we don't even have an IKEA within 3 hours of us so we had to get stuff online.  Luckily it was all comfy but what a gamble.  The shipping took forever as well, the earliest date it could be there was like over a week from ordering so we were lucky that we ordered it when we did.

For other furniture we're thinking Argos.  They have same day delivery for a few pounds so I can just order it on a weekday when I'm home (I have odd work hours) and know that it'll be here when I'm here to receive it.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
We do end up using Amazon Prime a lot. Other than that, it depends on what we need. We will either go to The Range or IKEA for the majority of stuff as we don't want to pay a fortune.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 20
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
What about British Home Stores (I know they're not as big as they used to be)?

Robert Dyas? (popped into a branch to grab something when I was visiting a few months back)

• Liked: 3595
Target & Bed, bath, and beyond alternatives
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
What about British Home Stores (I know they're not as big as they used to be)?

BHS went out of business last year :(. All BHS stores were closed by the end of August 2016 and they went into liquidation in December 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Not an alternative to Target by any means (because nothing is...gosh I miss it), but try Wilko. Cheap bits and bobs including home stuff. They also have an online store that ships.
Wilko does remind me a bit of Target. They put funny/pithy things on their packaging like Target does.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
Yeah this lack of a Target thing really bugs. And its impossible just to "get a few small fun things" for the house. And no, the pound shop doesn't count.

Someone at OH's work suggested wayfair and they seem to have little odds and ends that aren't too tacky. Things like a nice wicker basket to store things in the bathroom.

Take a look at JYSK. We shop there sometimes. They're kind of like a tiny IKEAs. And they aren't super expensive.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
The sheets! That's exactly what I'm noticing too. Why is it so hard to buy a top sheet here? I don't want to have to wash my comforter every week because I can't find top sheets.

Huh, my Sainsbury's has eruption cotton flat and fitted sheets in white. I don't know if you could find them in a lot of colours though... Dunelm had some but their sheets were really expensive.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
BHS went out of business last year :(. All BHS stores were closed by the end of August 2016 and they went into liquidation in December 2016.

You're right, my mistake.  But they are online: https://www.bhs.com/

Huh, my Sainsbury's has eruption cotton flat and fitted sheets in white. I don't know if you could find them in a lot of colours though... Dunelm had some but their sheets were really expensive.

Eruption cotton doesn't sound very comfortable.  Seems to me they'd be rock hard and a tad warm.   ;)

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »

Eruption cotton doesn't sound very comfortable.  Seems to me they'd be rock hard and a tad warm.   ;)

Ha! My darn phone isn't very smart is it? That would be a bit warm and possibly gassy?

Maybe Egyptian cotton would be better?

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 06:27:22 PM »
Much.  How long have Sainsburys been selling linens for?

• Liked: 111
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »
I grew up in a city that didn't get a Wal-Mart until 1990 and a Target until 1995 or so. I moved to England at the end of 1995 so I didn't miss the "buy everything under one roof concept". I've been in the US for 13 years and I buy so much stuff that I didn't need, only because I saw it around. I avoid them now.

I loved BHS because it was cheap and cheerful but it went out of business recently, BlackAck. I did shop at M&S, Next, Habitat (I think it's now part of Sainsbury's), John Lewis, Tiger, the Conran Shop, Debenham's, Heals, Dunhelm Mill, Homebase, Laura Ashley, Liberty, Argos, The Contemporary Shop, Bombay Duck, etc...
There's plenty to choose from and it's nice, for me, to look around. But if that's too much work, there's Tesco Direct, notonthehighstreet.com and trusty old Amazon.

Happy Shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »
Much.  How long have Sainsburys been selling linens for?

Quite a while, all the three years I've lived here. You do need one of the bigger stores to get them. We've got a large store near me. The whole upper story is clothes and a cafe. 😁

The Egyptian cotton sheets are really nice. We bought some fitted sheets and a flat sheet for the convertible couch. 😊

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Take a look at JYSK. We shop there sometimes. They're kind of like a tiny IKEAs. And they aren't super expensive.

I also only just discovered a chain called Tiger. It doesn't have all the household items by any means, but they do have some fun/cheap home-ware items and it reminds me a bit of certain sections of the IKEA marketplace.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:03:21 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab