Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Target & Bed, bath, and beyond alternatives  (Read 3603 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Target & Bed, bath, and beyond alternatives
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »
I also only just discovered a chain called Tiger. It doesn't have all the household items by any means, but they do have some fun/cheap home-ware items and it reminds me a bit of certain sections of the IKEA marketplace.

We've got a Tiger in Derby! They're fun and pretty inexpensive. Reminds me of a US store, but I can't put my finger on which.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »
We've got a Tiger in Derby! They're fun and pretty inexpensive. Reminds me of a US store, but I can't put my finger on which.

I honestly could have blown all my money there haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 56
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Take a look at JYSK. We shop there sometimes. They're kind of like a tiny IKEAs. And they aren't super expensive.

Ah i know Jysk - its a Swedish brand and we have an outlet in the dinky Swedish town where the in-laws live.  I haven't seen one in London though - guess I have to order online?

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
Ah i know Jysk - its a Swedish brand and we have an outlet in the dinky Swedish town where the in-laws live.  I haven't seen one in London though - guess I have to order online?

Probably. *grins* I'm in Derbyshire and it's a 7 minute drive from me. I got my big mirror there and my desk. And some other small bits and bobs like dish towels cheap fuzzy blankets, cheap throw pillows and sone cheap black frames.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 97
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
there is one in Lewisham too. it reminds me of the dollar front to target lol. great suggestions actually!
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

• Liked: 585
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
I don't want to have to wash my comforter every week because I can't find top sheets.

That's why we use duvet covers  :)

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
Just looking on the JYSK website and....THANK YOU. This stuff is amazing and beyond reasonably priced! More so than IKEA even!! Would you say the quality is good and can last a few years of wear and tear or is it more cheap because it doesn't last too long and you don't feel bad binning it and replacing?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 08:04:17 PM »
Not really a Target equivalent in the UK, sadly. It needs one!

Dunelm is pretty similar to BB&B. Most of our rugs, curtains, sheets, etc. are all from there. Good quality and selection- it's our go to for anything home-related.

I really like The Range and TK Maxx for home decor and other things. I know not everyone is a TK/J Maxx kind of person, but I've found lots of nice things for the home in there- including a lamp and kitchen supplies. Some TK Maxx stores have a better selection than others.

My husband refuses to shop/have anything from IKEA, so we can't go there  ::) Thinks it's all "cheap tat" and doesn't understand why it's so popular. Don't share his view, but whatever.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
Just looking on the JYSK website and....THANK YOU. This stuff is amazing and beyond reasonably priced! More so than IKEA even!! Would you say the quality is good and can last a few years of wear and tear or is it more cheap because it doesn't last too long and you don't feel bad binning it and replacing?

Happy to help! I like a lot of what they have.

Depends on what you're buying. My dish towels are a few years old now and still going strong. Little bit stained from tea but that doesn't bother me.

My desk is on good nick, it's been over a year, so's the mirror. The cheap blankets aren't amazing after the first wash but they're partially dog blankets so not a big deal.😁 and the pillows, well they get laid on by the dogs and they've last about 14 months? We still use them but the pillows are pretty flat now!  Haha.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »
Looks like JYSK hasn't made it to Scotland yet.  :( :(

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
Please don't hate on me, but I don't really get how a Target is any different than a big Tesco?  What am I missing?  Please explain?
 ???
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
The cheap blankets aren't amazing after the first wash but they're partially dog blankets so not a big deal.😁 and the pillows, well they get laid on by the dogs and they've last about 14 months? We still use them but the pillows are pretty flat now!  Haha.

Isn't all bedding essentially at least partially dog bedding when you have a dog? hahaha :D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 116
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
Please don't hate on me, but I don't really get how a Target is any different than a big Tesco?  What am I missing?  Please explain?
 ???

I think part of it is that Target is a lot more common than a big Tesco that would be comparable.  We don't have a Tesco with all of that stuff anywhere nearby.  Where I lived in the US I passed 3 Targets on the way to work, half an hour from my house.

But to me, a Target is a store that happens to have a grocery store inside, and Tesco is a grocery store that happens to have other stuff inside.  I'd rather shop for groceries at Tesco than Target, by a long shot.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 11:57:05 AM »
I think part of it is that Target is a lot more common than a big Tesco that would be comparable.  We don't have a Tesco with all of that stuff anywhere nearby.  Where I lived in the US I passed 3 Targets on the way to work, half an hour from my house.

But to me, a Target is a store that happens to have a grocery store inside, and Tesco is a grocery store that happens to have other stuff inside.  I'd rather shop for groceries at Tesco than Target, by a long shot.

Yeah I think that it maybe depends on where you live. I have a fair amount of massive Tesco's within reasonable driving distance to me but I imagine that there are other people like yourself who don't. And I would completely agree with the sentiment that Target is more home goods/electronics/clothes/etc. that just happens to have groceries while Tesco is more groceries that happens to have other sections.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 57
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
I also only just discovered a chain called Tiger. It doesn't have all the household items by any means, but they do have some fun/cheap home-ware items and it reminds me a bit of certain sections of the IKEA marketplace.

HEMA is another store similar to Tiger that I've found for cheap knick knacks and odds & ends. I know they have one in Grand Central inside Birmingham New Street station and I've seen a few others around as well.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab