Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Odd and random question  (Read 1633 times)

• Liked: 111
Re: Odd and random question
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 12:41:33 AM »
I had a home with a separate utility room with a separate washer and dryer and it took 50-60 minutes to dry a load of laundry. This was in 1999. Please don't tell me they don't make homes with utility rooms or separate dryers Things shouldn't go backwards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
I dry my clothes on a portable oil heater. Once it warms up, it only takes about 3 minutes to dry a regular cotton shirt. Maybe 15 minutes for my jeans. You just have to find a system that works for you.

I use a Dri Buddi (stupid name, but it works.)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8501147

• Liked: 768
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
I use a Dri Buddi (stupid name, but it works.)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8501147
Ooh... now I want this. Lol

But my flat is so small it would take up my whole kitchen or living room. (Which is why I stopped using the drying rack. I can't move from the living room to the kitchen without having to move it around.)

You just don't realize how small of a space you can actually live in until you move to the UK.

My bedroom in the US was bigger than this entire flat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:45:16 AM »
I had a home with a separate utility room with a separate washer and dryer and it took 50-60 minutes to dry a load of laundry. This was in 1999. Please don't tell me they don't make homes with utility rooms or separate dryers Things shouldn't go backwards!!

Well... considering a lot of the buildings here are hundreds of years old, I'm impressed that there is indoor plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »

My house has a utility room with separate washer and dryer.  I won't tell you how much I paid for the house though.   ;)

Our rental home, which we could sell today fast for £400,000 does not... 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »

If anything, the new homes being built now are being space squashed more and more.  Postage stamp gardens, if at all.  Bedrooms where beds barely fit.  Cupboards where you can't fit a full size hanger in them.  So definitely no utility rooms.

Condenser dryer?
If you take them out immediately after it's done and shake them you can get a lot of the wrinkles out. At least that's what I found. They're horrible if they cool down in the dryer!

Yes, this is very true. We often forget or are too lazy to take clothes out though.  Hubby does the ironing, so I'm not fussed.   ;)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
In countries like Denmark, it is illegal to build house as small as the ones here.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
If anything, the new homes being built now are being space squashed more and more.  Postage stamp gardens, if at all.  Bedrooms where beds barely fit.  Cupboards where you can't fit a full size hanger in them.  So definitely no utility rooms.

That's interesting. I bought a "new build" in 1999 and it was a detached, 1300 sq ft, three bedrooms, an en-suite bathroom, downstairs cloakroom and main three-piece bathroom with an attached garage and a very large garden. I chose a new home because older ones were exactly how you've described.

My husband and I are moving back in a few years when we become "empty-nesters". He was there recently visiting family and looking for a new place to relocate. He was in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset and found plenty of new home sites with detached homes, large gardens, utility rooms, en-suite bathrooms, single car garages and CLOSETS!! In fact, they look remarkably like my house and other houses in my neighborhood here in my Houston suburb but obviously, much smaller (my home is "average" at 2500 sq ft ). So, it could simply be the areas are more suburban so there's more room to spread out in the southwest. ??

I was on Zoopla yesterday and found the first home we lived in as newlyweds in Reading (we've been married 21 years) up for sale. It was 2-1 with a large garden and separate garage and 405 sq ft. We are thinking of going back to that actually and it gives me hope that the combo-washer/dryers are getting better. The one I had in that house, back in the day, was simply crap and made my life miserable.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
That's interesting. I bought a "new build" in 1999 and it was a detached, 1300 sq ft, three bedrooms, an en-suite bathroom, downstairs cloakroom and main three-piece bathroom with an attached garage and a very large garden. I chose a new home because older ones were exactly how you've described.

My house is a 3-bed semi built in 1998. The downstairs has a small foyer, toilet, living room and kitchen (looks like the kitchen used to have a wall dividing it into a kitchen and dining room though).

The kitchen only has room for one under-counter appliance, so I have only a washing machine. No dryer, no dishwasher, and my fridge-freezer is in the opposite corner of the room (where the dining room was).

He was in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset and found plenty of new home sites with detached homes, large gardens, utility rooms, en-suite bathrooms, single car garages and CLOSETS!! In fact, they look remarkably like my house and other houses in my neighborhood here in my Houston suburb but obviously, much smaller (my home is "average" at 2500 sq ft ). So, it could simply be the areas are more suburban so there's more room to spread out in the southwest. ??

It could be that, though I also wonder if it's based on wealth/affluency - the southwest has a much higher cost of living than the east/northeast where I live and also higher household incomes in general... so more people can probably afford larger, detached properties. A lot of the new houses where I am are fairly small and compact.

House prices are so much more in the south though - I bought my small 3-bed house in Lincolnshire for a fraction of the price of my friends' larger 4-bed semi in Bristol. In fact, my house with driveway and 2 gardens was quite a bit cheaper than their tiny 1-bed flat on the 3rd floor of a terraced house in the city centre.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
My house is a 3-bed semi built in 1998. The downstairs has a small foyer, toilet, living room and kitchen (looks like the kitchen used to have a wall dividing it into a kitchen and dining room though).

The kitchen only has room for one under-counter appliance, so I have only a washing machine. No dryer, no dishwasher, and my fridge-freezer is in the opposite corner of the room (where the dining room was).

It could be that, though I also wonder if it's based on wealth/affluency - the southwest has a much higher cost of living than the east/northeast where I live and also higher household incomes in general... so more people can probably afford larger, detached properties. A lot of the new houses where I am are fairly small and compact.

House prices are so much more in the south though - I bought my small 3-bed house in Lincolnshire for a fraction of the price of my friends' larger 4-bed semi in Bristol. In fact, my house with driveway and 2 gardens was quite a bit cheaper than their tiny 1-bed flat on the 3rd floor of a terraced house in the city centre.

My house in 1999 was in Bolton but closer to Wigan so it was far from an affluent area. The new build houses in Wiltshire with all mod-cons are in line to what that little 405 sq ft house in Lower Earley, Reading costs! We rented that little house in 1995 for £550. We were offered the opportunity to purchase it for £65K but my husband is from the north where the average house was then £35K so he declined. But we were expecting a second child (our first together) so we needed bigger accommodation anyways and moved to Wokingham in 1997. That house went for sale last year and I'm still laughing at the absurd cost. But, if we had purchased either home, we would have been sitting on a small fortune. It remind my husband of the error of his reasoning often!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
I take my wet clothes out of the washer and put them straight on and walk out into the cold. Let the bracing wind from the Fen dry them.

But that's the kind of guy I am.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
I take my wet clothes out of the washer and put them straight on and walk out into the cold. Let the bracing wind from the Fen dry them.

But that's the kind of guy I am.

You mean you don't scrub your clothes by hand in the stream out back....?  :D

• Liked: 533
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
You mean you don't scrub your clothes by hand in the stream out back....?  :D

You know. all kidding aside, my washer went out once and I had to go about four days washing clothes in the bathtub....

good lord.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
When I lived in Prague , all we had for the first year was the bottom of the shower stall that was just deep enough to hold some water.  We went to the laundromat once, it was a big expat hangout and crazy expensive.  We never went back and just washed our clothes in the bottom of the shower. 

Taught me that clothes don't really need to be washed as often as you think.

Odd and random question
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
The flat was in a building like this:

As seen from my favourite tower of all time:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:55:07 PM by jimbocz »

Sponsored Links