Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sending Books  (Read 692 times)

• Liked: 70
Sending Books
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
Fortunately I will not need to bring any bulky items over when I move... but as a current student I have a lot of books (and costly books) that I am looking to bring over.

What is the best way to do this?

This is the ONLY thing I need to ship...
Settlement Fiance
Online Submission: April 3
Biometrics: April 7
Sent application: April 10
Confirmation Email: April 12
Upgraded to Priority: April 13
Asked for upgrade confirmation: April 26
Decision Email:June 8 (38 business days)

• Liked: 116
Re: Sending Books
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
How many books are we talking?

It will probably be more expensive to ship them than it will be to buy them all over again, unfortunately, unless we're talking about like first editions of Hemingway and whatnot.

I'd take the MOST expensive and rare ones in a checked bag or several checked bags (spread throughout to minimize weight) on the airplane.  You could also use sendmybag which is pretty reasonable, but it does go by weight and books will use up a lot of weight.

There isn't a cheaper media mail option for shipping to the UK, I'm afraid. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
Fortunately I will not need to bring any bulky items over when I move... but as a current student I have a lot of books (and costly books) that I am looking to bring over.

What is the best way to do this?

This is the ONLY thing I need to ship...

I put a fair chunk of mine in my carry on and my husbands as he made the trip over to take me back to the UK as I'm terrified of flying (because, at the time, those weren't being weighed - but I think that's changed now because everybody is tightening up their rules). I left a bulk of my books back with my mom and dad and (a chunk are still there) and my husband and I would take a few back with us in carry-ons every time we'd go for a visit. You might want to look into how much an additional bag might cost you. That might prove to be cheaper than posting the books to yourself but that's probably dependent on how many books we're talking about! Just an option to consider!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
I just sent over a suitcase of books with my husband who came to visit me recently. This will vary depending on the airline, but even paying to check an extra bag was cheaper and easier than shipping them. He was flying Thomas Cook and it was $80 for an extra bag.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:02:46 PM »
take a few back with us in carry-ons every time we'd go for a visit.

This! Over the years I've amassed hundreds of books from home

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
I just sent over a suitcase of books with my husband who came to visit me recently. This will vary depending on the airline, but even paying to check an extra bag was cheaper and easier than shipping them. He was flying Thomas Cook and it was $80 for an extra bag.

Fees have definitely gone up since I originally moved nearly 4 years ago and we flew BA but I agree that it was still cheaper to do the extra suitcase than ship due to weight and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links