Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bought cigarettes yesterday, that was interesting  (Read 2645 times)

• Liked: 325
Bought cigarettes yesterday, that was interesting
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
I smoked the last of the u.s. cigarettes yesterday. Went to a shop to buy more and found out that restrictions have made it difficult.  I asked for any brand of menthol and was advised that I must ask for a brand.  I told her I don't know the names of the brands.  She handed me a printed list but I couldn't tell by the names if they were menthol or not and she told me she is not allowed to advise me or recommend anything.  Then she whispered to look for the word green.  Ended up with Berkeley Superkings green and it felt like a drug deal.

• Liked: 19
Re: Bought cigarettes yesterday, that was interesting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
Not a smoker myself, but fairly sure Marlboro menthols are available.

My MIL smokes Silk Cut, which as near as I can tell are kind of ladies' cigarettes.  I think they make menthols, if that helps.

Seriously, though, there must be a Wikipedia page or something with a list of brands, and who makes them.  You can probably find something close to your own brand, just with a different name.

(BTW, be ready to do that for lots of different products.  You'll be amazed at what you thought you couldn't get here, that's just in a different part of the shop, etc.)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
Were you surprised by the packaging?  Have they started doing the horrible looking packages yet?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Katoo, this really made me laugh!!  Hoping you can find a brand you like without having to go underground!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
I smoked the last of the u.s. cigarettes yesterday. Went to a shop to buy more and found out that restrictions have made it difficult.  I asked for any brand of menthol and was advised that I must ask for a brand.  I told her I don't know the names of the brands.  She handed me a printed list but I couldn't tell by the names if they were menthol or not and she told me she is not allowed to advise me or recommend anything.  Then she whispered to look for the word green.  Ended up with Berkeley Superkings green and it felt like a drug deal.
Menthols are being phased out, and will be unavailable in 2020, I think. Definitely second the advice to do the Google-Wikipedia tango. Have a first, second and third choice, because with the brandless packaging, the till staff can't find the right packets half the time. I smoke Marlboro Golds, which are everywhere, and still have to do the there-no-not-there-over-yes-there hand signals to direct sometimes.

And now I'm going to high intensity interval training class, where I will regret chainsmoking though four pints the other night. Somebody save me from myself.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:04:39 PM »
Were you surprised by the packaging?  Have they started doing the horrible looking packages yet?

Black pack with picture of diseased lungs.  Big bold letters "Smoking Kills--Quit Now".  Brand name in small print.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
I've read that the pack is blackish-green, specifically designed to put people off.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
I've read that the pack is blackish-green, specifically designed to put people off.

Yeah, there is a greenish tinge now that you mention it.  Today's pack features woman coughing blood into tissue.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
That's so bizarre.  I can't think of any other example of the government forcing a product to be disgusting so it won't sell.  I also think it's a wierd statement from the government that smokers are so hated and powerless that it's okay to do this. 

Can anyone think of anything else the government does that is similar?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
That's so bizarre.  I can't think of any other example of the government forcing a product to be disgusting so it won't sell.  I also think it's a wierd statement from the government that smokers are so hated and powerless that it's okay to do this. 

It is bizarre that they do this, when the huge taxes on cigarettes is a significant share of the NHS budget...

Not the UK, but in India they post photos of people being run over by trains in common areas where people cross the tracks.   :o

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
Presumably the sequelae of smoking costs the NHS more than the taxes on cigarette sales bring in.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »
And now I'm going to high intensity interval training class, where I will regret chainsmoking though four pints the other night. Somebody save me from myself.

If HIIT classes don't make you cut down, I don't know what will! I've never smoked, and always struggle through intervals!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »

Not disgusting, per set, but pretty sure that horrific Public Safety as were standard through the 70s and 80s.  Usually to do with all the ways, as a child, you could be killed stone dead by common, everyday objects or situations.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
the sequelae

Sequelae - Sounds nice, like a tapas dish.....then you look it up and it isn't nice at all.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
Sequelae - Sounds nice, like a tapas dish.....then you look it up and it isn't nice at all.

I'm sure the Spanish would make Tapas out of it given the chance. 

Last summer I had pig ear, complete with cartilage.

Sponsored Links