Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sending a US cat from Canada  (Read 2718 times)

• Liked: 957
Sending a US cat from Canada
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:37:43 AM »
I live on the border w/ Canada, and there are direct flights to the UK a short drive away in Canada whereas from my own city and within 7 hours drive in the US there are no direct flights and lengthy holdovers w/ a high risk of canceled connections (have had this happen, as have many others, along with facing blatant disability discrimination from the airlines that fly from here so I will avoid it altogether now).

So I want to fly both myself and my cat from a canadian city.

I've really struggled finding any information on how to do this. I did contact SeaAir and have been filling forms and waiting for responses from them. The airline was not helpful at all, nor was their cargo company who only advised that I *had* to use a pet relocation company. The UK and their requirement that pets not only be shipped in the cargo hold, but as manifest cargo, really makes things far more difficult than it is for any other european destination from Canada. Already feeling almost ready to give up because me and stress are not friends.

Has anyone here sent a pet via Canada? Any advice? My husband said no to sending her to france and getting someone to help with driving. :(

• Liked: 1891
Re: Sending a US cat from Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:23:47 AM »
This might be an off the wall suggestion, but maybe you could think of your cat as a comfort service animal.  From what I understand, you go to a website and get a certificate, maybe a harness and high via looking sign and from then on you make the rules about your cat.  Just carry it with you on the plane. 

Of course there's all kinds of ethical issues that I can't be bothered to type, but you can make your own decision on that.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »
This might be an off the wall suggestion, but maybe you could think of your cat as a comfort service animal.  From what I understand, you go to a website and get a certificate, maybe a harness and high via looking sign and from then on you make the rules about your cat.  Just carry it with you on the plane. 

Of course there's all kinds of ethical issues that I can't be bothered to type, but you can make your own decision on that.

I think if it were as easy as that, everyone would be doing it!  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
Yes, I should add the caveat that I have no idea what I am talking about.  Margo should take it as an idea for exploration, not actual advice.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »

From a few searches, looks like the UK only allows assistance dogs and they have to meet rigorous standards.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 01:58:28 AM »
*phew*

SeaAir finally got back to me! It will cost less than I was anticipating (some days the conversion to CAD really works in your favor) and the USDA International Health Certificate is the documentation you need. Now to sort out the receiver at Gatwick. :) One step at a time!

• Liked: 248
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:35 AM »
I've just brought 7 cats in from Saudi Arabia!  I broke it down into chunks - getting them prepared to travel with all their documents etc., getting an agent in Saudi to sort out flights (which I could have done myself by contacting the airline direct), getting an export licence and getting a receiver to sort them out when they got to the UK.  There are plenty of people who receive them into the UK so you should easily find a company who will do it for you.  Our lot flew to Amsterdam via KLM and then on to Manchester.

You are supposed to have a TOR number before you ship the animal, but we didn't.  So we paid the the fee on arrival.  The TOR number has now arrived so we can claim the fee back (I think).

The journey itself was fine for them.  Probably less stressful for them than for me.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
SEVEN CATS?!?!?!?!?!?  :o :o  ;)

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:05:58 AM »
Yes, 7, I know what that makes me!  All rescue.  If we hadn't taken them then they would have died - and we were not leaving them behind.

Just having a look at the paperwork and we didn't get anything extra for them going through Amsterdam.  They stamped the paperwork in Amsterdam and then sent them on their way.

They arrived happy!

We have had the garden enclosed with mesh along the top of the fence - they can't escape now and will soon be meowing with English accents.  And they love the rain!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

Yes, 7, I know what that makes me!  All rescue.  If we hadn't taken them then they would have died - and we were not leaving them behind.

Good for you!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 01:47:43 AM »

Just having a look at the paperwork and we didn't get anything extra for them going through Amsterdam.  They stamped the paperwork in Amsterdam and then sent them on their way.

They arrived happy!

We have had the garden enclosed with mesh along the top of the fence - they can't escape now and will soon be meowing with English accents.  And they love the rain!

This is impressive! Mine has never been outside, so I'm not sure how she'll adapt besides loving her ability to chase wildlife. Also a rescue and she's definitely not being left behind! :) I'm a bit thankful my husband is a cat person, a neighborhood cat adopted him at his current flat (it stops by for cuddle and then leaves, sometimes follows him in the front door during bad weather and then waits at a window to be let out), so we'll be a happy little family.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
I met my hubby when I walked outside my house, saw a cat in a neighbours window so went over to talk to him through the glass - as future hubby pulled up.  It looked like I was staring through his front window.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »
I met my hubby when I walked outside my house, saw a cat in a neighbours window so went over to talk to him through the glass - as future hubby pulled up.  It looked like I was staring through his front window.
Aww! That's adorable, I'm guessing he found it endearing when he realized you were talking to his cat through the window? It always amazes me the ways people meet their spouses. <3

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:52:49 AM »
Margo, I had a terrible cold that weekend.  No makeup. Eyes like two watery slits.  Baggy sweat suit trousers.  I had crept out of the back gate in the hopes that I could breathe a little better and no one would see me.

Future hubby was returning from work and so in uniform.

Obviously a match made in heaven!

His cat is still with us.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab