Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gifting and Estate/Inheritance tax  (Read 723 times)

• Liked: 718
Gifting and Estate/Inheritance tax
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
My wife and I are dual UK/US citizens living in England.  We wish to give a cash gift (above the non-reporting limit for either country) to our son this year to help him buy a house here in England. (He is also a UK/US citizen and is looking to move to England in September).

From what I understand UK law says that the gift is tax free providing I/we live for another 7 years otherwise HMRC may come after him for estate taxes if I/we exceed the limit. Since the gift will be from "us" do we record it as 50/50 and then if one of us dies within 7 years the look-back happens on the half of the gift the deceased gave?

US law says, I think, that we can file IRS form 709 and receive a future credit against our estate taxes which for this year is in excess of $5M and there is no way short of winning the lottery we will ever exceed that.

In general, which country takes precedent over Estate taxes when we die or is it like regular taxes where our executor(s) will have to file in both countries?
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 21
Re: Gifting and Estate/Inheritance tax
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
The following are some brief initial comments that may be of assistance to durhamlad.

Overall, the proposed gifts should be considered under each of the following-
•   UK domestic rules.
•   US domestic rules.
•   Double tax treaty.
I do not comment below on the US domestic rules.

For UK inheritance purposes, the key starting point is domicile. Domicile is broadly the long term home of an individual, and is separate from residence or nationality. In outline for UK IHT purposes
•   Worldwide assets need to be considered if he is UK domiciled (or by extended residence, deemed domiciled)
•   Only UK assets need to be considered if he is not UK domiciled.
So, for instance, if he is not UK domiciled, then a gift from say a US bank account is excluded from IHT.

There is a UK US double tax treaty on estate taxes (in addition to the treaty on income tax). It would be best approached by first establishing domicile, years of residence, nationality and so forth. The treaty has a tie-breaker test where an individual is domiciled under both countries under domestic rules. There are also rules establishing primary taxing rights and requiring the other country to give credit for estate tax paid to the other.

Some other points relating to UK IHT are –
•   Durhamlad is aware of the seven years for potentially exempt transfers (ie most lifetime gifts).
•   If the gifts become chargeable, the nil rate band is first set against lifetime gifts and any balance against the estate on death.
•   The position of each spouse should be considered separately.
•   There is commentary about gifts from joint accounts in HMRC IHT manuals at IHTM15051, which he might finding interesting.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
Excellent, thank you for that info. (and I am most certainly domiciled in the UK).

I will have a look for that double tax treaty on estate taxes.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
I see the rules referenced here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inheritance-tax-double-taxation-relief

How double taxation conventions work
For the purpose of the agreement, they allow:

the country in which the transferor is (or in the case of a death, was) domiciled to tax all property wherever it is
the other country to tax only specified types of property, such as immovable property, in its territory

• Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
The double tax treaty on estate taxes can be seen at
http://uniset.ca/misc/us-uk1980.html

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
The double tax treaty on estate taxes can be seen at
http://uniset.ca/misc/us-uk1980.html

Thank you again, that is a big help.