Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got a job but need a car... MMM  (Read 1328 times)

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
Got a job but need a car... MMM
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
Good Morning all:
  Okay to the point, got a job at lincoln in IT for 30 days, contract went in started the job, halfway through the job i was told i needed a car. quickly took out my contract does not say anything pertaining to the car and needing one, Showed it to my MGR he was upset, long story short i need a car to get to different council office's. so no job called the back and was told the position has been closed non-existence, anymore.

Time to remove my self ...will be calling the UK visa office.. today had enough and its about to get even harder
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 4985
Re: Got a job but need a car... MMM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
 :\\\'(

Is there nothing else out there?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Sorry to hear that :(.

Would looking further afield help? The Lincoln area doesn't exactly have many jobs going at the best of times... it's not exactly a hub for IT jobs.

The only reason I work in Lincolnshire is because I work with the military and got posted here. If I didn't work there, there would be no opportunities for me in Lincolnshire at all (in physics/geophysics/computing/meteorology) - I'd probably have to go to a much larger city to find work.

Can't remember where you've said you have applied.... have you looked in places like Doncaster, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Hull (though not sure Hull has many opportunities either)?

Would a move to a different town/city be feasible, or do you need to stay in your current town?

You may find that lack of UK work experience isn't helping you - is there any way to get ANY job, even if it's working in a shop or something, just to get you started in the UK? I spent 10 years working in retail before I started my career in science... to get me through my degrees and for 2 years while looking for graduate jobs.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
Good Morning all:
  Okay to the point, got a job at lincoln in IT for 30 days, contract went in started the job, halfway through the job i was told i needed a car. quickly took out my contract does not say anything pertaining to the car and needing one, Showed it to my MGR he was upset, long story short i need a car to get to different council office's. so no job called the back and was told the position has been closed non-existence, anymore.

Time to remove my self ...will be calling the UK visa office.. today had enough and its about to get even harder

Out of curiosity, and apologies if maybe I missed something, but why call the UK Visa office? Is there something in particular they can do?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
Out of curiosity, and apologies if maybe I missed something, but why call the UK Visa office? Is there something in particular they can do?

Actually, yeah, I was gonna say that too.

If you're calling because you plan to leave the UK, there's no need to call or inform anyone. You just get on a plane and leave.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
Actually, yeah, I was gonna say that too.

If you're calling because you plan to leave the UK, there's no need to call or inform anyone. You just get on a plane and leave.

That was my thought process. I wasn't sure if maybe there was another expectation that the visa office might be able to help with or something??

For what it's worth Eddy, could you not apply for jobs that would have you relocating? If the difference is to look and more elsewhere in the UK or go home completely, is it worth not giving it a shot as others mentioned Lincoln doesn't have a load of jobs it seems. Other locations will have jobs and relocating within the country may be significantly cheaper than leaving (especially after paying for a visa).
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
Hi guys, i really don't want to go back what choices do i have ,
- wife's busines is very slow. she owns an Antique furniture place in Tickhill, she has been ripped of from clients she trusted when doing commission work they either are never home or just hang up
- i have looked in Lincoln, sheffield, hallam university area, Yorkshire south, worksop, i really dont mind working in london and staying there for the work week and coming home for the weekends.
- a big stress on us and causing fight little arguments..i am glad i have a very high tolerance and just try to be calm.i always said i will do anything..

how long can i stay out of the country...if i do go back.
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
Hi guys, i really don't want to go back what choices do i have ,

Could she not sell her business there and you move elsewhere together where there is a job that's more profitable? You could live much closer to London - if that is where you're able to find a job - but be within commuting distance so you wouldn't have to shell out for a weekday/night accommodation. I do think it can be challenging moving north to south due to cost of living. But challenging does not equate to impossible. What about even just moving closer to a bigger city with more jobs up north (as opposed to looking at London)? Is there any particular reason that your partner and yourself absolutely cannot relocate together to a new place within the country? If you go home, is she going to go with you or will you be going alone and ending the marriage? (or not ending the marriage and living LDR?).

My, how time flies....

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
Also, just thinking about it, do you actually need a car or is it just preferred? As long as you're able to make it from point A to point B on time, should that not be acceptable? Could you not take bus or cab or uber or whatever in order to get to all the destinations you need to get to? I don't understand how, if you aren't actually a livery driver or something, they can insist you have a car vs the ability to be mobile by whatever means works.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
Also, just thinking about it, do you actually need a car or is it just preferred? As long as you're able to make it from point A to point B on time, should that not be acceptable? Could you not take bus or cab or uber or whatever in order to get to all the destinations you need to get to? I don't understand how, if you aren't actually a livery driver or something, they can insist you have a car vs the ability to be mobile by whatever means works.

The company wanted a vehicle...for me i can use whatever transportation,  it does get me from A to B, that said Retford is small  train station is walking distance os no problem there.
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »
Could she not sell her business there and you move elsewhere together where there is a job that's more profitable? You could live much closer to London - if that is where you're able to find a job - but be within commuting distance so you wouldn't have to shell out for a weekday/night accommodation. I do think it can be challenging moving north to south due to cost of living. But challenging does not equate to impossible. What about even just moving closer to a bigger city with more jobs up north (as opposed to looking at London)? Is there any particular reason that your partner and yourself absolutely cannot relocate together to a new place within the country? If you go home, is she going to go with you or will you be going alone and ending the marriage? (or not ending the marriage and living LDR?).

To move she will need to sell yes.. but no one is buying any business ..Tickhill is a very small place inbetween Bawtry and Doncaster..so moving is not an option right now..wish it was, i prefer Sheffield, Manchester, she has lived here 45 yrs of her life...aint happening to soon we talked about it.
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
I would be re-discussing with the employer then. If it's not on the contract that you have to have a car as part of your work conditions and you are easily able and ready to take whatever transport at your own cost, there should be no reason why you can't still take that job offer?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
I would be re-discussing with the employer then. If it's not on the contract that you have to have a car as part of your work conditions and you are easily able and ready to take whatever transport at your own cost, there should be no reason why you can't still take that job offer?

Because they insist ... it was not on my contract when it should have been..

Also how long can i stay out of the country ..i need a number to call home office it seems they have changed everything ...
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
To move she will need to sell yes.. but no one is buying any business ..Tickhill is a very small place inbetween Bawtry and Doncaster..so moving is not an option right now..wish it was, i prefer Sheffield, Manchester, she has lived here 45 yrs of her life...aint happening to soon we talked about it.

Just did a quick google and it looks like Manchester is just under a 2 hour commute (probably 2 hours minimum if you factor traffic?) if you're driving. If there's a bus or train line you can take it might be a little longer (or shorter because there won't be traffic) and it could be totally do-able for commuting. It will definitely be a LONG day, but there are many other people who commute 2 hours in mornings and evenings for work and you might find that the stress of a 2 hour commute is worth it if it takes away the stress that job hunting is creating (for yourself and your relationship).

At the end of the day you have to both want to move for that to work. If she isn't willing or able, then I guess that eliminates that option. The only other option will be for you to commute further away for work (whether it's a daily commute or you stay somewhere weekly but that might just end up costing more than it's worth). I would maybe just try applying to jobs in Manchester and other further away but commutable locations and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen with that?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
Because they insist ... it was not on my contract when it should have been..

Also how long can i stay out of the country ..i need a number to call home office it seems they have changed everything ...

Might be worth consulting somebody/something like Citizens Advise bureau about that because that doesn't seem right to me....but if it's not an option to be employed there then that is their loss.

RE how long you can be outside the country, I'm not sure what the latest length time is. I'm just about to go out for lunch so writing this reply quickly before I leave so no time to look it up for you to check the most recent amount of time (but I'm not sure your visa becomes "invalid" after x-length of time, i think it's more how you go about renewing once it's expires that's the problem - but I could be wrong). I suggest either giving it a quick google or look at the government page. I will try checking when I'm back from lunch if you haven't found it yet and/or nobody else has chimed in but I don't want to say anything from what I remember just yet as it might've all changed.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links