Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got a job but need a car... MMM  (Read 1327 times)

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
Re: Got a job but need a car... MMM
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »
Might be worth consulting somebody/something like Citizens Advise bureau about that because that doesn't seem right to me....but if it's not an option to be employed there then that is their loss.

RE how long you can be outside the country, I'm not sure what the latest length time is. I'm just about to go out for lunch so writing this reply quickly before I leave so no time to look it up for you to check the most recent amount of time (but I'm not sure your visa becomes "invalid" after x-length of time, i think it's more how you go about renewing once it's expires that's the problem - but I could be wrong). I suggest either giving it a quick google or look at the government page. I will try checking when I'm back from lunch if you haven't found it yet and/or nobody else has chimed in but I don't want to say anything from what I remember just yet as it might've all changed.

thanks so much
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »
Eddy, there is no set time limit allowed or not allowed outside the UK.  You just need to demonstrate that you and your wife lived together during that time or there were insurmountable obstacles for you to live together.

Regardless, you are fine to exit and re-enter the UK as much as you want between now and your visa expiry date.  The concerns would be when it's time to renew.

Is remote work an option?

• Liked: 3595
Got a job but need a car... MMM
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
There is no set time for being out of the country.

HOWEVER, for the next visa, you have to be able to prove that you lived TOGETHER in the same house as each other for the entire length of the visa (by showing you have mail addressed to both of you at the same address for at least 2 years).

That doesn't have to be in the UK for the whole time (I.e. you could both go abroad together for a few months), but if you are apart for a long period (i.e. you in Canada, her in Retford) without a very good reason (I.e. your UK company sends you overseas or you are deployed with the military), your next visa could be refused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
Oh eddy, I thought this was going to be good news.  I'm really sorry to hear that the job fell through.  :-\\\\

Don't give up though, if you got this one, you can get another.  :)

• Liked: 424
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
Don't give up Eddy, I have years of experience in management among other things and I took an entry level job in retail. Not much compared to what I'm used to or qualified for, but it's full time and will let me live here with my wife. Anything is better than suffering apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 02:13:35 AM »
Based on what you told me your qualifications are, you definitely should look in bigger cities. You may be able to find something remote as well, where you just go into the office some of the time/for training. As another suggested - I'd be showing that contract to citizens advice as well, something seems dodgy. The UK tend to have better employee protections than the US so I feel like the employer may be trying to pull something because you're an immigrant and don't know any better.

For those asking why they may require the car - with technology support jobs you often have to transport equipment (servers, routers, workstations, cabling), but even so - using an uber or cab should be fine if you aren't billing it back to the company for more than an individual car of your own would be billed. (They usually pay by mile here, don't know about there) .... But that should've been prominent in the job advert and contract if it were required!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
I'm not sure citizen's advice would be able to do anything.  I wasn't able to apply to A LOT of jobs because they require cars.  And from reputable employers (one well known and well run cathedral, a council job in another town, etc).  In your case I think if you were willing to uber or taxi everywhere they should allow it, but it's pretty common for places with travel required to not want their employees to rely on the (sometimes shaky) public transport.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »

For those asking why they may require the car - with technology support jobs you often have to transport equipment (servers, routers, workstations, cabling), but even so - using an uber or cab should be fine if you aren't billing it back to the company for more than an individual car of your own would be billed. (They usually pay by mile here, don't know about there) .... But that should've been prominent in the job advert and contract if it were required!

I would have thought, however, that this would've come up prior to receiving a completed contract. I would think that if transporting these particular items were part of his job, that he would be made aware of that so would know that expectation but it seems like he was kind of blindsided by the car thing after the fact (being under the impression that travelling between sites would be required but not much more than that). Obviously could be totally wrong and I do understand what you're saying, but it just seems like this is definitely a bit dodgy.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
I'm not sure citizen's advice would be able to do anything.  I wasn't able to apply to A LOT of jobs because they require cars.  And from reputable employers (one well known and well run cathedral, a council job in another town, etc).  In your case I think if you were willing to uber or taxi everywhere they should allow it, but it's pretty common for places with travel required to not want their employees to rely on the (sometimes shaky) public transport.

I would have thought, however, that this would be stated when applying/being interviewed - not after the contracts were drawn up (that somehow don't seem to mention a car in them - mistake or not). It sounds like this piece of information was thrown in after the fact. I know I have personally been asked in interviews before what my transportation situation is like so imagine they would have done the same so they would have known what Eddy's situation was like (or should have known). They might not be able to do anything, but it's worth a shot because it seems like they may be taking advantage here...
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »

The issue is not that the car is required, it's that they drew up, signed and then withdrew contract because he didn't have one when it wasn't mentioned at any point it'd be required until that last bit. That seems dodgy. :( There were people asking why it might be part of the job - that was what the explanation was for. I very clearly suggested seeking advice regarding the contract because it was not mentioned at any point until AFTER it had been given.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
The issue is not that the car is required, it's that they drew up, signed and then withdrew contract because he didn't have one when it wasn't mentioned at any point it'd be required until that last bit. That seems dodgy.

And, when looking through the contract, it wasn't even mentioned. The hiring manager said it was an "error" and that it should've been included but that's not really Eddy's problem that they made a mistake... That seems really sketchy that they would do all of that and only mention that he needs to own a car after/i] the fact. Maybe Citizen's Advice can't advise anything, but I don't think it would be a negative or lengthy experience to just phone them and ask if it's worth them speaking about. Even if it was wrong and you didn't want to go back to that company and cause a fuss, at least you'd be informed in future?
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 116
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
The issue is not that the car is required, it's that they drew up, signed and then withdrew contract because he didn't have one when it wasn't mentioned at any point it'd be required until that last bit. That seems dodgy. :( There were people asking why it might be part of the job - that was what the explanation was for. I very clearly suggested seeking advice regarding the contract because it was not mentioned at any point until AFTER it had been given.

I mean, it might be worth contacting them, but I don't want him to get his hopes up when it's something they're allowed to ask for  :( Of course I agree it's sh*t that they didn't have it in the contract, description, or interview.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
NEw news, i came back to Toronto Wednesday i had a phone interview on thursday so this is what i was told  Following our recent conversation I have the pleasure in

confirming your interview.
Time: 11.00

Date: Thursday 22nd June       
Interviewers: Jack Clarke (MSC Team leader) & Neil Allwood (MSC Consultant

Role: Managed Service Centre Analyst

so i waited remember came home wednesday, did not sleep til ar12ish due to flight,got up at 4:30pm  kept checking my phone which was right next to me...NO call

here what they said:

Hi Eddy,
I have just spoken to Jack and they haven’t been able to get through. They called both the external number and the mobile.
Could we try and re-arrange this?
Do you have any availability early next week?

Thanks,

Jen

So i wrote back and explained to them how Jen, how to dial direct, eith 00-1 or +1
so they are IT mgmt and they cant do that simple research. If i get my next phone dat and have to eventually i hope get a F2F interview i am going back..

i came home because i was frustrated  tired nearly giving up but i will see myself through this..i promise they wont keep me down.i will go back my life is there now..i will go back

so yesterday i get a cal for a job and passed both phases of the interview..but sadly i will turn it down i don't want to commit...I there something seriously wrong with the english system or is it me...i don tknow heres proof..
i Eddie,

It was a pleasure speaking with you!

As discussed, please see the job details below and let me know if you like to proceed with this opportunity.  I will present you at $35/hr.

Cheers!

IT Service Helpdesk

Type: 6-Month Contract

Our client, a prestigious organization in the media industry, has asked Bagg Technology Resources to assist them in finding three Junior IT Service Helpdesk representatives to join their esteemed organization on a contract basis. The IT Service Helpdesk representatives will assist with level III technical support using a ticketing system.

Am coming i want the job in Sheffield more then anything now...

Maria (HR CHIRP)
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

Am coming i want the job in Sheffield more then anything now...

Best of luck with this one!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab