Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Best way to attach documents, particularly original passports  (Read 962 times)

• Liked: 49
Hi Folks! This may seem a bit silly but I have been advised that it is frowned upon to over use paper clips when attaching documents. I plan to use double stick tape on items such as receipts of places we went along with photos that match those places. I am then going to put each grouping/catagory in a clear plastic zip bag.

My concern is attaching mine and my fiancee's original passports as well as my official photos for my visa. I feel the only way to keep them safe and secure without damaging them would be to attach them to a sturdy poster board weight page then enclose them in plastic just like my other docs.

Any ideas? Also a bit off topic but what is the exact address in Sheffield? I want to make sure I do not leave out a floor or level or whatever! Any ideas on the order of the documents as well?

Thank you for all your kind responses! Everyone is so helpful here!

Met my fiancee thru a friend online November 2011
Traveled to the UK to meet in person April 2012
Ally traveled here to meet my family and we got engaged! December 2013
Traveled to the UK to meet his family September 2015
Sending our Fiancee Visa ( tentatively in July 2017) Excited!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Best way to attach documents, particularly original passports
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi Folks! This may seem a bit silly but I have been advised that it is frowned upon to over use paper clips when attaching documents. I plan to use double stick tape on items such as receipts of places we went along with photos that match those places. I am then going to put each grouping/catagory in a clear plastic zip bag.

My concern is attaching mine and my fiancee's original passports as well as my official photos for my visa. I feel the only way to keep them safe and secure without damaging them would be to attach them to a sturdy poster board weight page then enclose them in plastic just like my other docs.

Any ideas? Also a bit off topic but what is the exact address in Sheffield? I want to make sure I do not leave out a floor or level or whatever! Any ideas on the order of the documents as well?

Thank you for all your kind responses! Everyone is so helpful here!

Met my fiancee thru a friend online November 2011
Traveled to the UK to meet in person April 2012
Ally traveled here to meet my family and we got engaged! December 2013
Traveled to the UK to meet his family September 2015
Sending our Fiancee Visa ( tentatively in July 2017) Excited!

This is the address given on the website.

Settlement applications

International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

Start with your admin, so receipts, applications, passports etc. Then your evidence by category, financial, relationship, accommodation (it doesn't matter which order). Then your copies of items which you need returned.

I would loose the plastic bags. You don't need the poster board either, passports are tough. Maybe use a regular envelope to keep the smaller items from getting lost.   :)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »

You don't need to include any receipts of places you've been, so you can take those out.

You also only need to send 1 or 2 photos in total, so no need to match photos to receipts.

No plastic bags or folders should be sent at all, and I imagine tape will just damage your documents.

Just put everything in a neat pile, maybe with an elastic band or a paperclip around each section and send as is.

In terms of relationship evidence, you should be sending:
- 1 or 2 photos of just you and your fiance - to show you have met in person
- boarding passes from trips to see each other (loose)
- letters or cards sent to each other (loose)
- 1-2 pages of screenshots of your email inbox and/or Skype call logs and/or message logs (no message content, just a list of dates and times

Plus, evidence of planning a wedding in the UK:
- for example, email correspondence from the church or registry office enquiring about possible ceremony dates

No plastic, just either put them loose with your documents or in a small envelope. They will be perfectly safe.

You'll be shipping everything through a courier like UPS or DHL anyway, so they are unlikely to get damaged or anything.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
If you are worried about the accompanying passport photos, you could always leave them in the folder they come in when you have them taken (I got mine in Rite Aid and they came  in one of the cardboard picture wallets) or place them in an envelope (as you do when applying for FLR). Just make sure that you remember to mark them appropriately on the back as directed.

You should only need a certified copy of the your fiancee's passport bio page for the fiance visa rather than the whole passport.  You will need to include your current passport and any old passport, though.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
If you are worried about the accompanying passport photos, you could always leave them in the folder they come in when you have them taken (I got mine in Rite Aid and they came  in one of the cardboard picture wallets) or place them in an envelope (as you do when applying for FLR). Just make sure that you remember to mark them appropriately on the back as directed.

You should only need a certified copy of the your fiancee's passport bio page for the fiance visa rather than the whole passport.  You will need to include your current passport and any old passport, though.
Sponsors passport doesn't even need to be certified. A regular photocopy of the bio page is all that is needed.

I put my passport photos in a one quart clear zip lock bag and put it on top of my application.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 56
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
I remember I put all those little bits and passports in one of those hard envelops/packages that photos developed from film used to come in. (Do they still do those? lol). Anyway, I found it was perfectly sized and sturdy for passports, photos, boarding passes, etc. Then I taped a list of the contents to the outside and taped the flap shut. They even sent all those back in the same envelope when they sent everything back. So I agree with putting those bits and bobs into a smaller envelope to keep them together. They are all proof of relationship anyway (except the passports), but it prevents anything from "falling out" of the folder they put it in.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 97
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
I paper clipped each section together so application appendix and receipts, financial, accommodation and then relationship. I included a table of contents on top. I tied with string so it wouldn't damage anything given some of the paperwork was bigger than others, and then put my passport and passport photos in a plastic ziplock baggy and attached that to the sting at the top by another paperclip.

I guess you can see there really is no super wrong way but I would leave out tape, the receipts you do not need!
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab