Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FBAR: has the filing deadline changed?  (Read 503 times)

• Liked: 1
FBAR: has the filing deadline changed?
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
The filing deadline used to be June 30, but now I read on their website: "The FBAR must be received by the Department of the Treasury on or before April 15th of the year immediately following the calendar year being reported. FinCEN will grant filers failing to meet the FBAR annual due date of April 15 an automatic extension to October 15 each year. Accordingly, specific requests for this extension are not required. (Please note: The due date for FBAR filings for foreign financial accounts maintained during calendar year 2016 is April 18, 2017, consistent with the Federal income tax due date.)"

So...here I am ready to file and now I'm confused. :-[

• Liked: 8
Re: FBAR: has the filing deadline changed?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »
The filing deadline used to be June 30, but now I read on their website: "The FBAR must be received by the Department of the Treasury on or before April 15th of the year immediately following the calendar year being reported. FinCEN will grant filers failing to meet the FBAR annual due date of April 15 an automatic extension to October 15 each year. Accordingly, specific requests for this extension are not required. (Please note: The due date for FBAR filings for foreign financial accounts maintained during calendar year 2016 is April 18, 2017, consistent with the Federal income tax due date.)"

So...here I am ready to file and now I'm confused. :-[
Yes it is exactly as it says! The FBAR filing date is now the same as for regular tax filing, with the addition that if you miss that there is an automatic extension to October 15.

Just go ahead and file.  You are fine assuming you are filing for 2016.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
Yes it is exactly as it says! The FBAR filing date is now the same as for regular tax filing, with the addition that if you miss that there is an automatic extension to October 15.

Just go ahead and file.  You are fine assuming you are filing for 2016.
+1
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
Thanks, Anchor and durhamlad. Yes, it is 2016 I'm filing. Good news as I've been sick in bed for two days and not much feeling like dealing with tax forms!

• Liked: 102
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
The FBAR for 2016 is automatically extended until 16 October. You'd need much of the same information for Form 8938 if you are required to file.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab