Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Struggling with kids' UK passport applications  (Read 469 times)

• Liked: 12
Struggling with kids' UK passport applications
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
I'm just about ready to send away my children's applications for their UK passports (we live in the US, they are UK citizens by birth through their dad.) This is the very first step in moving back to the UK as a family.

I have just about everything (their photos, birth certs, the countersignatory form filled out, etc.) BUT I am stumbling over exactly what documents we, the parents, need to provide about ourselves. The checklist makes it very confusing.

I am a US citizen, DH is a UK citizen.

If anyone else has done this, do you remember what you had to send about yourself??

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:05:51 PM by morecoffee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 28
Re: Struggling with kids' UK passport applications
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
I'm just about ready to send away my children's applications for their UK passports (we live in the US, they are UK citizens by birth through their dad.) This is the very first step in moving back to the UK as a family.

I have just about everything (their photos, birth certs, the countersignatory form filled out, etc.) BUT I am stumbling over exactly what documents we, the parents, need to provide about ourselves. The checklist makes it very confusing.

I am a US citizen, DH is a UK citizen.

If anyone else has done this, do you remember what you had to send about yourself??

So we did this a few months ago. I'm British, husband is American, and when I called and had questions they told me because my kids were born in the US (even though I am British) they actually would be getting the U.K. Citizenship through my parents... (how true this is, I don't know if it applies to you) but I had to provide my parents original birth certificates.

I also sent my birth certificate, a notarized copy of the counter signatures passport. I sent a cover letter with the applications too.. I'm trying to remember what else.. haha sorry. It was a while ago.

But I got their passports back in 5 days. It was really quick.

Good luck :)
USA - UK

Initial Spouse visa approved 1st July 2017
Arrived in UK 3rd July 2017

Next visa approved 28th January 2020

ILR (5 year route) applied 9th June 2022 (Super priority)
Biometrics booked 6th July 2022

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »
Hi leanne1989,
Thanks so much!

Question, were you born after 1983 by any chance? I think in the application it says if so, that's when you need your parents' birth certficates. (My DH was born before 1983.) I could be wrong but I'm just checking?

I did not know we had to notarize the countersignatory's passport copy. Good to know.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
Hi leanne1989,
Thanks so much!

Question, were you born after 1983 by any chance? I think in the application it says if so, that's when you need your parents' birth certficates. (My DH was born before 1983.) I could be wrong but I'm just checking?

I did not know we had to notarize the countersignatory's passport copy. Good to know.

Oh yep! I was born 1989. So I guess that's why!

Yeah, we had it notarized, but now I'm thinking that's because our counter signature had an Australian passport. But better to be safe than sorry :)
USA - UK

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »
Hi leanne1989,
Thanks so much!

Also I really don't remember sending tons of stuff with it, just household bills confirming our address, a letter from counter signature stating how long she had known myself and husband, because our kids are young, she hadn't know them for the required number of years, (as one only 8 months old) and that she had known us for the required amount of time etc..
USA - UK

• Liked: 92
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:20:08 AM »
I don't have the link handy but there is a chart. I did the same thing as you a few months ago. Kids born after 2008. Husband ukc me USC. Sent

Application, every page of child's USA passport color copied, husband's birth certificate, child's USA birth certificate (I sent certified copies but they emailed me to resend the one that were issued within 3 months of birth) , marriage certificate (although I think the chart said this was extra) and the 2 passport photos (this was actually very stressful to get them cut down just right...I did it myself from a US size) - it was pretty straightforward otherwise!
Application: April 5 2017
Biometrics: April 13 2017
Received: April 19 2017
Decision email: June 6 2017
Decision: June 8 2017 -- APPROVED! 😊
Arrived in UK: June 24, 2017

FLR(m): Applied standard - 20 Dec 2019
Biometrics done - 13 January 2020
Approved for FLR(m)!  Feb 2020

ILR Applied Super Priority - 12 July 2022
Biometrics (got a cancellation!) -13 July 2022
APPROVED! - 13 July 2022

Next up - Naturalisation application!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
Thanks so much! I actually think I pretty much have everything.
(Do we ever get our original documents back?)

• Liked: 20
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
You should.  That's what happened while I applied to renew my UK passport from the US.  The new passport came in one package, and the supporting documentation was returned a few days later separately.   

Sponsored Links