Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Refusal-a cautionary tale  (Read 1354 times)

• Liked: 325
Refusal-a cautionary tale
« on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
I wanted to tell my story while it was still fresh on my mind. 

My husband and I have been married 21 years this October.  He lived in the U.S. with me the entire time.  When we reached retirement age, we thought it would be nice to retire in England.  5 years ago, we started planning for this.  We put our lovely home on the market in October and sold it in January, with a 17 March closing date.  Once our house sold we swung into high gear.  We began sorting, discarding, and packing our belongings.  We also prepped my visa application and gathered together our supporting documents.

On 28 February, I got my biometrics done and the package was shipped to Sheffield.  We bought shipping labels from VFS, and paid for priority service.  We received confirmation via email from UKVI on 1 March.  Based on the February timelines, and our own incredible naïveté, we booked flight for 24 March.  Everything was perfect.  The house sale closed with no hitches, our goods were picked up for shipping, and we moved into my daughter's house for six days.  But we still hadn't heard back from Sheffield.  So begins the first of many Plan B's.

Our first Plan B, was that John would fly alone to England and I would join him as soon as I got my visa.  It was sad when we took him to the airport and he left without me.  But it was okay, because surely this visa would come any day now.  Just a small hiccup in our plans.  Right?  Wrong.  The hiccup turned into a giant belch.

On 30 March, I received the decision email.  Figured I would have visa in hand on Friday, 1 April, and was looking at flights for Sunday.  On Friday, my son drove me to UPS to pick up my package and I sat in his car reading the most confusing letter of refusal of entry.  It stated validity of marriage as reason for refusal, but it wasn't talking about me and John.  It was talking about a couple married in Punjab, Pakistan 2 years previously.  Panicked and confused, I emailed UKVI.  I prepped the email and sent it on Sunday, hoping someone would respond on Monday.  They did, attaching another refusal letter, that was corrected to apply to us.  Again, validity of marriage was reason for refusal.  The examiner mentioned that there were no letters, greeting cards, or pictures to demonstrate our relationship.  There was a wedding picture.  But that was all.  It was stupid really.  Our financial section had everything in both our names.  To me, it was crystal clear that we were indeed, a couple.  On Monday, John shipped documents and pictures via DHL.  On Tuesday, we redid the online application, paid again for priority and shipping and I got a biometric appointment for 10 April.  On 5 April, I received the document John sent, and I put together a new package.  On Thursday, 6 April, I walked in to see if biometrics could be done 4 days sooner than appointment.  I was successful, so we went to the bank to get the March statement printed and stamped.  Resent package on 6 April and received confirmation from Sheffield on 10 April.  Yes, I turned it around in 6 days.  I astonished myself.  Now another long wait would begin.

In the marriage section, I typed up a cover letter that listed all the pictures and supporting documents and included a copy of the refusal.  I sent mortgage statements and income tax pages, and house sales.  Life insurance policies showing each other as beneficiaries.  Phone records and emails and FaceTime screenshots.  It was ironclad.  It was undeniable.

On 1 June, 34 business days later, I received the decision email.  On Monday, I received the package which included an approval letter and a vignette in my passport.  On Tuesday I flew out of Orlando airport bound for Manchester and landed Wednesday morning on 7 June.  All of the depression and anxiety immediately lifted and I am now with my husband, which means, simply, that I am home.

• Liked: 223
Re: Refusal-a cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
I'm glad you finally made it, Katoo!

It's a bit silly that they didn't consider house owned and documents in joint names, not to mention 21 years of marriage, as proof of a relationship.

Visas are stressful, especially when you're refused on a technicality that you would think common sense would clear up. Take some time to relax, spend some time with your husband and enjoy living in the UK!

July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 449
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »

My husband and I have been married 21 years this October.  He lived in the U.S. with me the entire time.  When we reached retirement age, we thought it would be nice to retire in England.  5 years ago, we started planning for this.  We put our lovely home on the market in October and sold it in January, with a 17 March closing date.  Once our house sold we swung into high gear.  We began sorting, discarding, and packing our belongings.  We also prepped my visa application and gathered together our supporting documents.

On 28 February, I got my biometrics done and the package was shipped to Sheffield.  We bought shipping labels from VFS, and paid for priority service.  We received confirmation via email from UKVI on 1 March.  Based on the February timelines, and our own incredible naïveté, we booked flight for 24 March.  Everything was perfect.  The house sale closed with no hitches, our goods were picked up for shipping, and we moved into my daughter's house for six days.  But we still hadn't heard back from Sheffield.  So begins the first of many Plan B's.

Our first Plan B, was that John would fly alone to England and I would join him as soon as I got my visa.  It was sad when we took him to the airport and he left without me.  But it was okay, because surely this visa would come any day now.  Just a small hiccup in our plans.  Right?  Wrong.  The hiccup turned into a giant belch.

On 30 March, I received the decision email.  Figured I would have visa in hand on Friday, 1 April, and was looking at flights for Sunday.  On Friday, my son drove me to UPS to pick up my package and I sat in his car reading the most confusing letter of refusal of entry.  It stated validity of marriage as reason for refusal, but it wasn't talking about me and John.  It was talking about a couple married in Punjab, Pakistan 2 years previously.  Panicked and confused, I emailed UKVI.  I prepped the email and sent it on Sunday, hoping someone would respond on Monday.  They did, attaching another refusal letter, that was corrected to apply to us.  Again, validity of marriage was reason for refusal.  The examiner mentioned that there were no letters, greeting cards, or pictures to demonstrate our relationship.  There was a wedding picture.  But that was all.  It was stupid really.  Our financial section had everything in both our names.  To me, it was crystal clear that we were indeed, a couple.  On Monday, John shipped documents and pictures via DHL.  On Tuesday, we redid the online application, paid again for priority and shipping and I got a biometric appointment for 10 April.  On 5 April, I received the document John sent, and I put together a new package.  On Thursday, 6 April, I walked in to see if biometrics could be done 4 days sooner than appointment.  I was successful, so we went to the bank to get the March statement printed and stamped.  Resent package on 6 April and received confirmation from Sheffield on 10 April.  Yes, I turned it around in 6 days.  I astonished myself.  Now another long wait would begin.

In the marriage section, I typed up a cover letter that listed all the pictures and supporting documents and included a copy of the refusal.  I sent mortgage statements and income tax pages, and house sales.  Life insurance policies showing each other as beneficiaries.  Phone records and emails and FaceTime screenshots.  It was ironclad.  It was undeniable.

On 1 June, 34 business days later, I received the decision email.  On Monday, I received the package which included an approval letter and a vignette in my passport.  On Tuesday I flew out of Orlando airport bound for Manchester and landed Wednesday morning on 7 June.  All of the depression and anxiety immediately lifted and I am now with my husband, which means, simply, that I am home.

Ugh what you've been through! So generous and helpful to share for others here. It is wonderful that you are finally together again at the other side of that ordeal! :)
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
I am so glad that you are finally reunited with your husband!  We have all been cheering for you.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 37
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »

My wife and I really appreciate you sharing your story, both in this post and earlier as it was happening.

We see ourselves in your story, and without knowing it, we could have easily submitted just our marriage certificate and a photo to prove our 23 year marriage. Instead, we stuffed in some evidence from each of the years of our relationship, and are hoping it's the right amount. We're still waiting (19th business day or so) but hopeful.

Sorry you had to go through it!

• Liked: 73
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »
What a stressful time for you! We had been married for nearly 50 years when we applied but all we could produce was fifteen photos from over the years, a marriage certificate and just a few documents as our address was only a PO Box with very few official documents with a physical address on them. Luckily for us,  I think it was easier to be granted a visa in 2014 than it is now.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 32
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

I'm a pregnant / emotional mess these days, and am not ashamed to admit that I teared up reading your very last line.  Glad you are finally "home"!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
What a stressful time for you! We had been married for nearly 50 years when we applied but all we could produce was fifteen photos from over the years, a marriage certificate and just a few documents as our address was only a PO Box with very few official documents with a physical address on them. Luckily for us,  I think it was easier to be granted a visa in 2014 than it is now.

It wasn't any easier back then Michali. ☺ it just took less time.
They were just as picky we've got one refusal from summer of 2013.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3595
Refusal-a cautionary tale
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
It wasn't any easier back then Michali. ☺ it just took less time.
They were just as picky we've got one refusal from summer of 2013.

I can't remember exactly when it changed (I think it was around 2013 or 2014), but in regards to relationship evidence, it used to be:

- fiancé visa applications required proof  of the entire relationship... regular communication, trips, photos etc.

- spousal visa applications required only the marriage certificate and nothing else

However, they changed the supporting documents requirements a couple of years ago (I'm pretty sure it was after 2012) and since then they have required relationship/communication documents from the entire relationship for a spousal visa as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »
I can't remember exactly when it changed (I think it was around 2013 or 2014), but in regards to relationship evidence, it used to be:

- fiancé visa applications required proof  of the entire relationship... regular communication, trips, photos etc.

- spousal visa applications required only the marriage certificate and nothing else

However, they changed the supporting documents requirements a couple of years ago (I'm pretty sure it was after 2012) and since then they have required relationship/communication documents from the entire relationship for a spousal visa as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like it changed around the time people were getting geared up for their second FLR(M), so maybe Jan 2014?

Katoo, your story shows that a UK visa is truly a tick box visa.  No judgement used, just ticking boxes!

• Liked: 325
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
You know what saddens me the most?  So many people around that time were getting emails asking for more documentation.  I could have emailed proof of relationship in 5 minutes.  But I wasn't emailed.  Just refused.  In March, April, and May, I believe I was the only refusal posting here.  Even though more than a few admitted to mistakes made, that their examiner just let slide, not for me.  Ah well, what's another $2000?  (Gah!)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
    You know what saddens me the most?  So many people around that time were getting emails asking for more documentation.  I could have emailed proof of relationship in 5 minutes.  But I wasn't emailed.  Just refused.  In March, April, and May, I believe I was the only refusal posting here.  Even though more than a few admitted to mistakes made, that their examiner just let slide, not for me.  Ah well, what's another $2000?  (Gah!)

Unfortunately, we see that happen.  Sometimes HUGE things slide by, other times a tiny detail causes a refusal.

A few that spring to mind:

A refusal for not including a divorce decree from a first marriage, but did include the marriage certificate for the second marriage.  The ECO wasn't convinced that marriage was legal

A person who applied a single day prior to meeting the six month financial requirement

a person refused as the ECO didn't believe their relationship was genuine even though they had a child together and were both named on the birth certificate, which was included

Sometimes they are harsh...  sadly you were one of those.[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:34:02 AM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 20
    « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »
    Katoo,

Your experience sounds just awful.  I'm sorry you had to deal with such dimwitted jobsworths.  Makes me nervous for my own situation.

• Liked: 75
    « Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:10 AM »
    Ah Katoo, I'm so happy for you but I wish I'd been on this forum before my second application.

We got rejected around the same time because we didn't provide the appropriate financial evidence (totally my fault) and this time I'm afraid I didn't include any extra relationship information - thought photos and our kids' birth certificates would suffice.

I'm terrified of a second refusal BUT at the same time I just want an answer so I can move on with my life.
    Married December 8, 2007
    1st Application Submitted: February 8, 2017
    1st Application Decision: February 16, 2017: (refused due to missing information)
    -
    2nd Online application submitted April 30, 2017
    Biometrics & shipping to UK May 4, 2017
    UPS Tracking Delivered to Sheffield May 8, 2017
    Email confirmation from Sheffield May 15, 2017
    Retroactive Upgrade to Priority*: June 2, 2017
    Decision Made on Tracker: July 1, 2017
    Decision Made Email: July 3, 2017

• Liked: 6110
    « Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:03 AM »
    Ah Katoo, I'm so happy for you but I wish I'd been on this forum before my second application.

We got rejected around the same time because we didn't provide the appropriate financial evidence (totally my fault) and this time I'm afraid I didn't include any extra relationship information - thought photos and our kids' birth certificates would suffice.

I'm terrified of a second refusal BUT at the same time I just want an answer so I can move on with my life.

AmericanMom, wishing you a huge dose of the luck that was missing from Katoo's application. Really, really hoping you get it this time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab