Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Required Savings for FLR with Carers Exemption  (Read 1270 times)

• Liked: 6
Required Savings for FLR with Carers Exemption
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Does anyone know what is the amount if savings required for the FLR visa if your spouse is a carer?

I am currently under a spouse visa and applied under savings.  I believe the carers allowance let's you apply with lower income, but I am not sure if you can have less savings than the 62500 if you qualify for carers exemption.

I am currently self employed and looking at the self employment requirements, I would love to bypass all the documentation required for self employed if we can qualify through savings once again when the time comes.

I guess I am trying to figure out how much we should set aside for the next round.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Required Savings for FLR with Carers Exemption
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Does anyone know what is the amount if savings required for the FLR visa if your spouse is a carer?

There is no minimum amount.

The requirement for if your sponsor receives carer's allowance is that you have 'adequate maintenance' to support yourselves without accessing public funds. 'Adequate maintenance' is calculated as having at least as much left over each week after rent and council tax as a UK couple (plus any kids) would receive in income support from the government.

A UK couple receives £114.85 per week, and each child receives £66.90 in income support.

So, if there are no dependant children in your household (UK or non-UK citizens) you have to show:

Weekly Income - (weekly rent + weekly council tax) = £114.85 or more

If you have self-employment income, you would need to show all the evidence required for self-employment as per Appendix FM 1.7.

If you have no income and are using savings, then you would divide up your savings into weekly amounts and use that as your 'weekly income'. All of the savings can be considered (whereas normally only the amount above £16,000 can be used).

Say your rent is £500 per month, so about £125 per week, and your council tax is £100 per month, so £25 per week, that would be a weekly total of £150.

So, you would need at least £150 + £114.85 = £264.85 in weekly income or savings to meet the requirement.

The requirements don't specify how long the savings have to last, but assuming you were covering the entire 2.5 years (£264.85 x 130 weeks), that would be about £34,500.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:25:35 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »

I am currently under a spouse visa and applied under savings.  I believe the carers allowance let's you apply with lower income, but I am not sure if you can have less savings than the 62500 if you qualify for carers exemption.

I am currently self employed and looking at the self employment requirements, I would love to bypass all the documentation required for self employed if we can qualify through savings once again when the time comes.

I guess I am trying to figure out how much we should set aside for the next round.

You are right to try to avoid using self employment if possible because it is so much harder than the other categories.

You can see how to work out the savings requirement if your partner gets carers allowance here.

Look at 3.3 cash savings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452964/IDI_Adequate_Maintenance_and_Accommodation_Part_8_Annex_F.pdf

Basically they take the income requirement which depends on how much you spend on rent and council tax and divide that by the number of weeks of your next grant of leave to remain.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
Also, you would need to consider what you would do if the person your husband cares for were to die. Safest and easiest thing would just be to keep the whole amount intact if you can.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Thank you, bookmarking this page.  I can't seem to narrow forum search results by most recent items and can never seem to locate threads similar to what I am looking for. 

I hope not to have to use the current savings and live off what I am currently earning, right now it's easy because we are living with his father and helping out only with groceries while we save.  But I am scared that once we have to factor in rent, expenses, and purchasing a car that we will have to tap into savings...and like larrabee mentioned, the reality is that we don't know how my husband's dad will be doing even 2 years from now.

If can use savings instead of self employment it would just save me the headache for the next application stage bc I told my husband if we have to do self employment we will need to hire someone to help us :P.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Thank you, bookmarking this page.  I can't seem to narrow forum search results by most recent items and can never seem to locate threads similar to what I am looking for. 

If you use the advanced search function, it's much better. You can enter a date range too so you don't get all the results from 2008 like the normal search function gives you!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab