Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Glug, glug...spouse visa...glug...drowning...questions...glug....  (Read 1081 times)

• Liked: 90
Ok, we have just setting out on our spouse visa journey and I've got so many questions I feel like I'm drowning already!  My first question is a pretty simple one - have we done it wrong already, and if yes, what do we do about it?

I've read several things on here about not submitting the online application until you have everything ready to send off.  About three weeks ago my wife completed the online application form, but apparently she had to submit it and pay a fee before it would give her a date for the interview (set for July 5). We're gathering evidence details to be able to send it all off immediately after she has the interview. Have we done it right or have we stuffed it up already?

I've also seen stuff on here about an appendix you have to print out and submit? I don't know anything about that. Should I? Where do we get that from and what do we do with it - send off with the documentation?

Thanks for your help.  This feels like it might be a long process and I really don't want it to prolong it with stupid mistakes!
Online application: 29 June
Biometrics: 5 July
Package sent to UKVI: 5 July
Package arrived: 7 July
UKVI opened and confirmed receipt: 11 July
Decision email from UKVI: 2 October (59 BDs)
Passport returned 4 October - Approved!
Flight to UK: 14 October
Happiness: 15 October

• Liked: 4985
Re: Glug, glug...spouse visa...glug...drowning...questions...glug....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Appendix 2.  DO NOT HAVE HER SUBMIT BIOMETRICS UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT READY TO SEND. Once you do biometrics, you have 5 days to send everything off.  You can still cancel and get a refund if biometrics haven't been submitted (if you need more time).

It's not an interview (if you are in the US).  It's just fingers prints and a photo.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
VAF4a Appendix 2 is the form you need to print and complete in pen:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf

This form is the second half of the application form and your application is not complete without it... which means they cannot process your visa unless you send it with your documents.

The application form is in two parts:
1) Online application - generic form containing basic questions about the US applicant... basically the same for all visa types

2) VAF4a Appendix 2 - spousal visa application form containing all the questions about how you meet the requirements for the spousal visa (relationship, finances, accommodation)

As KFDancer said, she should NOT attend her biometrics appointment until after she has every single document in her hands, ready to mail. If you need to change the biometrics appointment date so you can get all the documents to her, do is ASAP - it cannot be changed less than 48 hours before the appointment - so if it's on July 5 and you need to change it, make sure you do that before July 3.

The biometrics appointment is not an interview, it's just a 5-10 minute appointment to take her fingerprints and photo. It is done by US immigration on behalf of UKVI and they have nothing to do with the application... they don't even care what type of visa you are applying for.

The date she submitted and paid for her online application is her official application date - the most recent financial documents you send must be dated within 28 days of this date (i.e. no more than 28 days before that date)

What financial requirement category are you applying under? (You have to select the correct category and fill out all the necessary details on Appendix 2).

The financial documents required will depend on which category you meet, so you'll need to make sure you have everything for that category.

If you would like to post a list of all the documents you are including here on the forum, we can let you know if anything is missing.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks both.  That's helped lots.

I've downloaded the Appendix 2 form and given it a swift look. That answers my next question already - which category.  Looking at this, I think it's Category A - my income from salaried employment in the UK.  It's over £18,600, so I should be ok there. She's coming to visit tomorrow (yay!) so we'll fill in the application form over the weekend.

Evidence docs - thanks for the tip re the 5 days and the offer to sanity check the evidence list.  I hope we've got everything for this. I've been collating it all and as I type this I'm sitting on the floor surrounded by little piles of stuff! I'm gathering a list of it to post on here to make sure I've not forgotten anything - probably later this evening.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
That answers my next question already - which category.  Looking at this, I think it's Category A - my income from salaried employment in the UK.  It's over £18,600, so I should be ok there. She's coming to visit tomorrow (yay!) so we'll fill in the application form over the weekend.

Okay, so for Category A, you need to have been with your current employer for a minimum of 6 months, earning at least £18,600 salary for all of that time... and assuming you are a salaried employee, you need to be able to show that each payslip from the last 6 months is at least £1,550 before tax.

For Category A, you need ALL of the following documents:

- 6 full months of original payslips showing a minimum of £1,550 before tax on each one

- 6 full months of original bank statements showing the deposit of every single payslip

- a signed letter from your employer stating ALL of the following:
(i) the person's employment and gross annual salary;
(ii) the length of their employment;
(iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application;
(iv) the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).

Optional but recommended as they may ask for them:
- your original job contract
- your latest P60

See here for information on the categories and documents required:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

and also the specific format that each document must be in:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »
You'll also need your accommodation and relationship evidence.  :)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Ok, so here's the evidence list I've compiled:

Finances
Original, signed reference letter from my employer confirming salary, that I've been in post as a permanent member of staff for 12 months and that has been my salary throughout that time
12 months payslips (although I only need six apparently!). Employer does these electronically, so I've printed them out
Copy of my contract (not a signed one as couldn't find it.  Printed version of electronic file)
P60. Employer does this electronically as well, so printed it out
12 months bank statements

Accommodation
Original signed letter from my solicitor confirming purchase of my flat is complete and logged with the land registry
Copy of Council Tax bill & direct debit plan

Relationship
Marriage certificate
Photos from the wedding
Printout of email thread of congratulatory messages from family & friends
3 random screenshots showing a of list of emails sent / received over the last few years
3 random screenshots of text messages to each other
2 birthday cards
Information on trips taken to see each other:
April 2015, NYC - flight records to & e-ticket references + boarding passes + photos
October 2015, NYC - flight records to & e-ticket references + some boarding passes (one missing) + photos
November 2015, SF (Thanksgiving) - flight records to & e-ticket references + boarding passes + family photo
June 2016, NYC - flight records to & e-ticket references + boarding passes + photo with friends
October 2016, Dublin - flight records to & e-ticket references + some boarding passes (two missing) + photos
November 2016, SF - flight records to & e-ticket references + some boarding passes (one missing) + family photo
April 2016, Lisbon,  - flight records to & e-ticket references + some boarding passes (two missing) + photos
June 2017, NYC - flight records to & e-ticket references + boarding passes + photos from wedding & honeymoon
Selection of other photos from trips that we can't find the boarding passes for, including photos with my family at the last two Christmasses, and standing in front of those poppies at the Tower of London a few years back.

Have I missed anything or have I overdone it?
I've been married before - do I need to include the decree absolute?

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
12 months payslips (although I only need six apparently!). Employer does these electronically, so I've printed them out
Copy of my contract (not a signed one as couldn't find it.  Printed version of electronic file)
P60. Employer does this electronically as well, so printed it out
12 months bank statements

If you're applying under Category A, ONLY include 6 months of payslips and bank statements - only the most recent 6 months will be considered, so sending 12 months is a waste of time and money, and risks confusion with your application documents.

All documents must be original, so electronic printouts will not be accepted.

For the bank statements, you either need to:
a) order official paper statements and have them sent in the post
or
b) get the printed statements stamped/signed on EVERY PAGE by your local bank branch, or have the bank write a letter of authenticity

For the payslips and P60, they must either be:
- original, official payslips
or
- electronic printed payslips accompanied by a letter from your employer confirming authenticity

For the contract, as it's not a required document, you may be okay, but if you can get an official copy or have it stamped/signed by your employer, I would.

Accommodation
Original signed letter from my solicitor confirming purchase of my flat is complete and logged with the land registry
Copy of Council Tax bill & direct debit plan

You do NOT need to include the council tax bill and direct debit plan

You DO need the official Land Registry document, and ideally a mortgage statement as well.

I'm not sure that the letter from your solicitor will be enough - it's the actual Land Registry document you need

Relationship

For your relationship documents, you do NOT need the following:
- Photos from the wedding
- Printout of email thread of congratulatory messages from family & friends
- Photos from trips
- Flight records and E-tickets... just send the boarding passes

You should ONLY send 2 photos maximum - just to show you have met in person at least once. I would go with one from the wedding and one from early in the relationship. No photos with family or friends should be included

For your screenshots from emails and text messages, they should just be a list of dates/times/subject lines, covering your entire relationship. For example, if you've been together 5 years, I would include a list/screenshot of 1 email and/or text per month, condensed into 1-2 sheets of A4 paper for each communication type.

So, your relationship evidence should look like:

- marriage certificate
- divorce decree
- boarding passes ONLY from trips to see each other (only include the e-ticket if you no longer have the boarding pass)
- 2 birthday cards
- 1-2 pages of screenshots showing email dates/subject lines covering the length of your relationship
- 1-2 pages of screenshots showing text message dates/subject lines covering the length of your relationship (no message content should be included)

I've been married before - do I need to include the decree absolute?

Yes, you MUST send your divorce decree... someone got refused last year for not including it.

You are also missing the following documents from you:
- a certified copy of your passport photo page
- a letter of sponsorship for the visa

And your wife must include:
- her US passport
- all previous passports
- 2 passport photos

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:04:34 PM »
That's great, thanks.  I'll amend my list.

Certified copy of my passport - certified how? Do I need to get some official somewhere to sign it?

I don't suppose there's any way of submitting the electronic payslips & P60 is there? I guess I've got to go talk nicely to the HR department tomorrow to get my letter changed to say these are original docs.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:11 AM »
That's great, thanks.  I'll amend my list.

Certified copy of my passport - certified how? Do I need to get some official somewhere to sign it?

I don't suppose there's any way of submitting the electronic payslips & P60 is there? I guess I've got to go talk nicely to the HR department tomorrow to get my letter changed to say these are original docs.

My husband is in the same boat. He is having his HR dept print the paystubs, and his bank was nice enough to print & stamp all of his statements & current transactions (because his next statement isn't til the 12th, and his most recent paycheck was last week).

I think I saw in another thread that you can go to the post office to have the copy certified? My DH hasn't said anything about having trouble with that piece so I'm sure it'll be his next question. 

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
You may be okay with just a photocopy of your passport photo page, though as margo said, the Post Office should be able to certify it for about £8-10.

Internet printouts of payslips will ONLY be accepted if they are accompanied by a letter from your employer.

This is stated explicitly in Appendix FM-SE:

(bb) Payslips must be:
(i) original formal payslips issued by the employer and showing the employer’s name;
or
(ii) accompanied by a letter from the employer, on the employer’s headed paper and signed by a senior official, confirming the payslips are authentic;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Thanks both. 

Guy in HR is sorting stuff out for me today.  An amended letter saying the payslips, P60 and contract are all valid documents. I think he's planning on getting them all stamped and signed as well.

I'm going to the Post Office this afternoon to get a photocopy of my passport certified.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
Just a quick question. In your first post you mentioned that your wife has already submitted her application and has her biometrics appointment on July 5th. In your next post you said that she is visiting this weekend. Will she be back in the US for her biometrics appointment? Also, perhaps the ks can answer this, is it a good idea for her to travel to the UK after submitting her online application?

I don't know if it's an issue or not, I would just hate to see a visa refused due to a mistake in timing. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 768
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
I was also wondering about this as well. Specifically about any pay dates that may happen after the application date. For example, if you were counting on using a payday that occurred between the times of her submitting the application and her biometrics appointment.

Any maybe someone can clarify,  can you even use documents dated after the application date?

Just a quick question. In your first post you mentioned that your wife has already submitted her application and has her biometrics appointment on July 5th. In your next post you said that she is visiting this weekend. Will she be back in the US for her biometrics appointment? Also, perhaps the ks can answer this, is it a good idea for her to travel to the UK after submitting her online application?

I don't know if it's an issue or not, I would just hate to see a visa refused due to a mistake in timing.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
I was also wondering about this as well. Specifically about any pay dates that may happen after the application date. For example, if you were counting on using a payday that occurred between the times of her submitting the application and her biometrics appointment.

Any maybe someone can clarify,  can you even use documents dated after the application date?

The clock stops at the time that the online application is paid for so certainly none of the financial documents could be dated after that time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab