Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance Visa Confirmed- Need Health Insurance Until NHS Eligible  (Read 4128 times)

• Liked: 2
Hello,

I am American. I know this topic was touched on briefly, however it didn't entirely help me.

I do NOT need medical help per-say (major pre-med condition I mean), BUT I do know it it is recommended that I get medical insurance while traveling. Especially since I will be no longer on my parents once I turn 26 (July 28). I was looking for an insurance company who would take me and its been a bit up and down and looks to be really expensive. I'm looking for a reasonable cost for I guess travel insurance, but don't need the frills of bag coverage, plane tickets, etc. Really just need the Medical part of it.

Plus, I do have a small pre-med condition but really not serious. I just have broken left clavicle. Was in a recent car accident, was hit from behind and snapped it...a plate and 6 screw later I feel brand new however I'm still on the mend until August. I won't be arriving until July 17th in the UK (JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!!)

I really need help and suggestions on different insurance companies out there. I'm nervous IF anything were to happen during my few weeks there in the UK until I am "fully healed", should I consider pre-condition? Should I go with US coverage or a UK Company. I have inquired about the following already: Allianz, GeoBlue, World Nomad, and Cigna....however some of these won't cover me unless I have a return date back to the US, which really won't be for a little over a year, OR its just OVERPRICED for what I am getting and/or won't cover my pre-med condition, even though NOTHING will probs happen within that little time I will be fully healed, but Hey, who knows?

Any help/advice/suggestions in all of this would be greatly appreciated and if quick even more grateful here as I am leaving REAL SOON!!!!  :o

Thanks guys!

~S

• Liked: 3595
Re: Fiance Visa Confirmed- Need Health Insurance Until NHS Eligible
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

BUT I do know it it is recommended that I get medical insurance while traveling. Especially since I will be no longer on my parents once I turn 26 (July 28).

Not just recommended - if you DON'T have medical insurance while you are on your fiance visa, any medical treatment you get in the UK will be charged at 150% of the normal price. You must be able to show you have insurance in order to be charged only 100%.

You'll need the insurance to cover the entire 6 months of your fiance visa, because if you need ANY kind of treatment or prescription before you get your FLR(M) visa, even if it's just for a cough or cold and not related to your recent injury, you'll need to show you have it or you will be charged more.

I can't really help with the insurance company suggestions though, as I'm not sure what is available - would you need it to cover you during your trip to the UK, or would you be able to purchase a UK policy after you have arrived?

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
This is what I used. I knew I would have my FLR (M) by July so I used July as my return date.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

Not just recommended - if you DON'T have medical insurance while you are on your fiance visa, any medical treatment you get in the UK will be charged at 150% of the normal price. You must be able to show you have insurance in order to be charged only 100%.

You'll need the insurance to cover the entire 6 months of your fiance visa, because if you need ANY kind of treatment or prescription before you get your FLR(M) visa, even if it's just for a cough or cold and not related to your recent injury, you'll need to show you have it or you will be charged more.

I can't really help with the insurance company suggestions though, as I'm not sure what is available - would you need it to cover you during your trip to the UK, or would you be able to purchase a UK policy after you have arrived?

THANK YOU!!! :)

And thanks for the advice. I know I need it, that is for sure! As for the full 6 months, I don't believe it will be necessary for me. This is another question, you've just reminded me of. Are you familiar with how long it takes for me to be properly into the system of the NHS, after I apply for my FLR (M) once married? I marry on Sept24 and then off to honeymoon Sept26-Oct01. Once back we will get an appointment ASAP. I heard it takes about 4 weeks to get an appointment, then about 10 business days (another two weeks) to have a decision made, THEN because of my most recent experience with Sheffield, I am nervous it COULD take another 2-4 weeks (or maybe longer?) to get into the system properly. They told us our original visa decision would be made in like 6 weeks, and it ended up take 11 weeks!!! Suggestions or knowledge on this by any chance??? Thanks! :)

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
This is what I used. I knew I would have my FLR (M) by July so I used July as my return date.

Thanks for sharing! :)

I did look into them. The only thing I am nervous about is...IF I were to file a claim they said I would need to share my details about my return flight, which I did not do. I only did a one way...should I not have booked just a one way? :/

Also- about the FLR (M). I'm figuring I won't need it past Dec 16th (The absolute Latest!) Are you familiar with how long it takes to be properly into the system of the NHS, after I apply for my FLR (M) once married? I marry on Sept24 and then off to honeymoon Sept26-Oct01. Once back we will get an appointment ASAP. I heard it takes about 4 weeks to get an appointment, then about 10 business days (another two weeks) to have a decision made, THEN because of my most recent experience with Sheffield, I am nervous it COULD take another 2-4 weeks (or maybe longer?) to get into the system properly. They told us our original visa decision would be made in like 6 weeks, and it ended up take 11 weeks!!! Suggestions or knowledge on this by any chance??? Thanks! :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
You will be covered immediately after you get your FLR (M). Registering with a GP may take longer or it may be super fast depending on your location.

I did premium service so there was no waiting time for me. Not having to wait was worth the extra £500 to me.

I didn't notice the return flight thing so I guess I'm glad I didn’t need to use it.

I had just had major surgery and was only 7 weeks post op when I moved so I wanted something just in case but I knew I wasn't going to go to a doctor unless it was a true medical emergency.  (Dying)

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
And thanks for the advice. I know I need it, that is for sure! As for the full 6 months, I don't believe it will be necessary for me.

I would take it out for the full 6 months. You need to be covered, just in case... I wouldn't risk not having insurance and then finding you need to go into hospital or something.

This is another question, you've just reminded me of. Are you familiar with how long it takes for me to be properly into the system of the NHS, after I apply for my FLR (M) once married?

About a week or so from registering to getting your NHS number.

You can register with the NHS as you arrive in the UK on your fiance visa, but you will need to get some mail in your name first to prove your UK address.

The only difference between being a fiance and being married is that you will be charged by the NHS before you get your FLR(M) visa and you won't be charged anymore once you have it.

So, you should register with the NHS in July/August and then you won't need to worry about it again. When you get your FLR(M) visa, you can inform the GP surgery that you now have a visa with IHS number.

I marry on Sept24 and then off to honeymoon Sept26-Oct01. Once back we will get an appointment ASAP.

Is your honeymoon in the UK or abroad?

You should NOT leave the UK after the wedding but before you have your FLR(M) visa... as you may not be allowed back into the country again (due to no longer being a fiance).

I heard it takes about 4 weeks to get an appointment, then about 10 business days (another two weeks) to have a decision made, THEN because of my most recent experience with Sheffield, I am nervous it COULD take another 2-4 weeks (or maybe longer?) to get into the system properly. They told us our original visa decision would be made in like 6 weeks, and it ended up take 11 weeks!!! Suggestions or knowledge on this by any chance??? Thanks! :)

If you apply in person, you can book an appointment up to 6 weeks in advance of when you want to attend it. So, you could book it a few weeks before you get married.

Then you attend the in-person appointment and will get a decision that day. Your BRP card (your visa) will be mailed to you within 10 working days, but it usually arrives within 2-4 days.

Once you have the BRP card, you can leave the UK.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
I would take it out for the full 6 months. You need to be covered, just in case... I wouldn't risk not having insurance and then finding you need to go into hospital or something.

About a week or so from registering to getting your NHS number.

You can register with the NHS as you arrive in the UK on your fiance visa, but you will need to get some mail in your name first to prove your UK address.

The only difference between being a fiance and being married is that you will be charged by the NHS before you get your FLR(M) visa and you won't be charged anymore once you have it.

So, you should register with the NHS in July/August and then you won't need to worry about it again. When you get your FLR(M) visa, you can inform the GP surgery that you now have a visa with IHS number.

Is your honeymoon in the UK or abroad?

You should NOT leave the UK after the wedding but before you have your FLR(M) visa... as you may not be allowed back into the country again (due to no longer being a fiance).

If you apply in person, you can book an appointment up to 6 weeks in advance of when you want to attend it. So, you could book it a few weeks before you get married.

Then you attend the in-person appointment and will get a decision that day. Your BRP card (your visa) will be mailed to you within 10 working days, but it usually arrives within 2-4 days.

Once you have the BRP card, you can leave the UK.

OK....oh geez...now i have loads more questions....

1. The address thing. How do I settle that? My Fiance mentioned something like this, about getting onto property tax or something and having my name on the address? Or is it as simple as having a relative send me something to that address or does it NEED to be like a  bill or something?
2. My Honeymoon is abroad actually- Barbados to be exact...oy...I did not know this bit. My visa DOES say multiple entries on there, but I do see your point about the part "Being married" BUT would they know? unless i haven't registered for the FLR (M) yet...is that what you meant by go on honeymoon BEFORE applying for the remain to stay?
3. We are ok to set up an appointment 6 weeks even before getting married then? That helps, BUT should I even do this if I am going abroad for honeymoon? I should JUST wait then so that i can still have my "Fiance Visa" come back and then apply for appointment?

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
1. The address thing. How do I settle that? My Fiance mentioned something like this, about getting onto property tax or something and having my name on the address? Or is it as simple as having a relative send me something to that address or does it NEED to be like a  bill or something?

No, it has to be something official like a bill.

You just call the council/utility companies and ask for them to put your name on the account, then wait for them to send you something in the post.

2. My Honeymoon is abroad actually- Barbados to be exact...oy...I did not know this bit. My visa DOES say multiple entries on there, but I do see your point about the part "Being married" BUT would they know? unless i haven't registered for the FLR (M) yet...is that what you meant by go on honeymoon BEFORE applying for the remain to stay?

It is multiple entry... before your wedding. After you are married, it's a bit of a grey area... technically, since you will now be married, you are no longer eligible to enter the UK on a fiance visa.

Whether or not this is an issue for getting back into the UK will depend on the immigration officer at the airport... you have to tell them the truth and if they ask when the wedding is and you're already married, that could be an issue.

You can't travel while your FLR(M) visa is processing, so really you need to have applied for AND received your FLR(M) visa before you try to travel.

3. We are ok to set up an appointment 6 weeks even before getting married then? That helps, BUT should I even do this if I am going abroad for honeymoon? I should JUST wait then so that i can still have my "Fiance Visa" come back and then apply for appointment?

You must be married on the date you attend the appointment, but you can book the appointment before you are married... you just have to book it for after the wedding.

For example, if you are getting married on September 24th, you could book an appointment in August, for a date after September 24th.

If you cannot change your honeymoon dates, you might be okay risking it and travelling to Barbados, hoping you don't have any issues getting back in, and then attending an appointment for FLR(M) after you get back.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »
No, it has to be something official like a bill.

You just call the council/utility companies and ask for them to put your name on the account, then wait for them to send you something in the post.

It is multiple entry... before your wedding. After you are married, it's a bit of a grey area... technically, since you will now be married, you are no longer eligible to enter the UK on a fiance visa.

Whether or not this is an issue for getting back into the UK will depend on the immigration officer at the airport... you have to tell them the truth and if they ask when the wedding is and you're already married, that could be an issue.

You can't travel while your FLR(M) visa is processing, so really you need to have applied for AND received your FLR(M) visa before you try to travel.

You must be married on the date you attend the appointment, but you can book the appointment before you are married... you just have to book it for after the wedding.

For example, if you are getting married on September 24th, you could book an appointment in August, for a date after September 24th.

If you cannot change your honeymoon dates, you might be okay risking it and travelling to Barbados, hoping you don't have any issues getting back in, and then attending an appointment for FLR(M) after you get back.

Ok. Thanks for all this great advice and knowledge! I'll need to sort somethings out then.

Once we are married- and yes the honeymoon is already booked and can't be moved due to his dates as well for work- Should we book an appointment for the FLR (M) prior and then have that info on us when coming back in case we will need to prove that we scheduled to take the next steps? I guess having all the info we can to support this to let me back in would help, yea? I can't imagine them not questioning us about it. I mean I know how many questions they ask all the time! I was already taken in once last year and god was it dreadful in there being interrogated. I of course got entrance into the country after 6 hours being obtained (they were low on staff... took longer!) But, after all the info was cleared and confirmed, I was put through.

I know i'd be taking a risk....i guess it will all depend on what kind of mood the officer will be in? Are there any suggestions to help me prepare for this possibility? So that I can (i know not guarantee entrance) possibly avoid this questioning/them making me go back to Barbados. I mean I will have my US passport anyways, and according to regulations- Americans ARE allowed to visit for up to 6 months, at that point in time I will have only used up just a little over two months of that 6 months allowance. Also- should I bring with us our marriage certificate? We are going two days after out wedding....I really wonder how many have not been allowed back into the country because of this...I'm sure we are not the first to not be aware of this sort of insight.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
Americans ARE allowed to visit for up to 6 months, at that point in time I will have only used up just a little over two months of that 6 months allowance.

Non-visa nationals are citizens from countries that the UK allows to visit the UK without applying for a visit visa first, but they ask for entry at the border instead, each and every time they arrive for a visit. They need to show the same documents to show they have ties to their own country, that they would need to provide if they had applied for a visa. The border officer doesn't have to give entry for 6 months as that time allowed is decided at the border.

Although the vast majority of Americans who travel to the UK for tourism are admitted without incident, British authorities have the right and responsibility for enforcing their laws and as a result not everyone who arrives at a U.K. port of entry is permitted to enter.   
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/denied-entry-to-the-uk/

What they are trying to ensure is that a visitor doesn't remain in the UK when they don't have permission to do so; or live in the UK by using frequent visits; say they are coming for a few days and show funds for that time but stay 6 months, going to be in breach of the terms of their entry (work, use or have used the NHS without paying) etc.

As you have already been granted a fiancé visa and your sponsor has proved they have the funds to sponsor you and can accommodate you, and you know the British immigration rules, hopefully there won't be a problem if you are asked. Just answer any questions honestly, no need to give them what they haven't asked for. 

If asked, let them know that you know what you have to do before your visa expires to avoid being an overstayer. They will know that it isn't in your interest to overstay, when you want to live in the UK.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:10:56 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
Ok. Thanks for all this great advice and knowledge! I'll need to sort somethings out then.

Once we are married- and yes the honeymoon is already booked and can't be moved due to his dates as well for work- Should we book an appointment for the FLR (M) prior and then have that info on us when coming back in case we will need to prove that we scheduled to take the next steps? I guess having all the info we can to support this to let me back in would help, yea? I can't imagine them not questioning us about it. I mean I know how many questions they ask all the time! I was already taken in once last year and god was it dreadful in there being interrogated. I of course got entrance into the country after 6 hours being obtained (they were low on staff... took longer!) But, after all the info was cleared and confirmed, I was put through.

I know i'd be taking a risk....i guess it will all depend on what kind of mood the officer will be in? Are there any suggestions to help me prepare for this possibility? So that I can (i know not guarantee entrance) possibly avoid this questioning/them making me go back to Barbados. I mean I will have my US passport anyways, and according to regulations- Americans ARE allowed to visit for up to 6 months, at that point in time I will have only used up just a little over two months of that 6 months allowance. Also- should I bring with us our marriage certificate? We are going two days after out wedding....I really wonder how many have not been allowed back into the country because of this...I'm sure we are not the first to not be aware of this sort of insight.

The Home Office will be notified of your wedding as you are a non-UK national.

And yes, they may let you back in as a visitor but you are not allowed to switch to another visa as a visitor from inside the UK.

As you can't change your honeymoon, you should pull the wedding forward.  Or do the in person appointment straight after the wedding.  You can have someone FedEx the BRP to you for renters after the wedding.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab