Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Howdo. New York>>>Norwich  (Read 3266 times)

• Liked: 10
Howdo. New York>>>Norwich
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
Hi there people,

I've had this site bookmarked for years and finally decided it's time to jump in as me and my lovely lady will no doubt be needing to dip into this wonderful pool of knowledge and bug everyone over the coming months  ;D

I live in Norwich UK and 'met' my lovely American girlfriend (currently living slightly upstate NY) on MySpace (remember that?) back in 2006 (although we did and do have lots of real world mutual friends). We met and got together in 2007 and have been doing the long distance thing, travelling back and forth seeing each other roughly every 3 or 4 months ever since. 10 year anniversary right about now  8) ;D We're planning on getting married later this year and then fingers crossed she'll be moving over here early next year.
Looking at all the boxes to be ticked and hoops to jump through it's all seeming very daunting but I think all the experience and knowledge from this great community will definitely help guide us through the rapids.

Anyway, hello and pleased to meet you all.

Rob

Priority Spousal visa for my wife.
Married March 2018
Online Application submitted Feb 11 2019
Biometrics appointment Feb 20
Full package sent Feb 22
Received at NY hub Feb 25
Email from Sheffield to say they'd received application Feb 27
Email from Sheffield to say decision made March 18
Decision  - Approved :) Passport with Visa received March 19

• Liked: 6110
Re: Howdo. New York>>>Norwich
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
Hi there people,

I've had this site bookmarked for years and finally decided it's time to jump in as me and my lovely lady will no doubt be needing to dip into this wonderful pool of knowledge and bug everyone over the coming months  ;D

I live in Norwich UK and 'met' my lovely American girlfriend (currently living slightly upstate NY) on MySpace (remember that?) back in 2006 (although we did and do have lots of real world mutual friends). We met and got together in 2007 and have been doing the long distance thing, travelling back and forth seeing each other roughly every 3 or 4 months ever since. 10 year anniversary right about now  8) ;D We're planning on getting married later this year and then fingers crossed she'll be moving over here early next year.
Looking at all the boxes to be ticked and hoops to jump through it's all seeming very daunting but I think all the experience and knowledge from this great community will definitely help guide us through the rapids.

Anyway, hello and pleased to meet you all.

Rob

Hi Rob! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the engagement!  ;D

It sounds like that's what your plan is anyway but just to confirm, it's much easier to have the actual wedding in the US then apply directly for the spouse visa after that.  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »
Hi Larrabee  :D

Thanks.
Yeah, from what we've read on here so far marrying over in the US definitely seems to be the way to go so that's our plan. We really had no idea of what way to go until we saw that on here so this forum has helped us already  ;D
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
Hi Larrabee  :D

Thanks.
Yeah, from what we've read on here so far marrying over in the US definitely seems to be the way to go so that's our plan. We really had no idea of what way to go until we saw that on here so this forum has helped us already  ;D

I'm always happy when people find us before they apply, makes the process so much easier!  ;D

• Liked: 37
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Hi old punk  :)

I'm a Brit from Norwich, living in SC with my US born husband ....we married here, it was a whole lot easier. Now my husbands retired we are going back to Norwich to live. He got his visa back recently, we applied priority spouse visa and had our response 17 business days  :D

Flights booked 10th September, very excited.
Good luck with whatever you decide and stay with this forum I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and support I've received here.
Met for the first time 2012
Married in the US May 2014
Biometrics for husband 12th June
Package mailed priority  to Sheffield 13th June
Email confirmation from Sheffield 16th June.
Decision received 11th July 😀 17 BD

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:55:20 PM »
Hello again people,
It's been a while since I've been here so I figured I'd just bump this up again.
For various reasons and family stuff our plans regards the whole visa process got put on hold for a short while but now we're ready to set the gears in motion and get things moving again.

We just got married out in the woods here in upstate NY yesterday so I'm sure me and my lovely new wife will be utilizing this wonderful community for all the helpful hints and advice can get over the coming weeks and months.

So hey there again and thanks in advance :)
Rob
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
Hello again people,
It's been a while since I've been here so I figured I'd just bump this up again.
For various reasons and family stuff our plans regards the whole visa process got put on hold for a short while but now we're ready to set the gears in motion and get things moving again.

We just got married out in the woods here in upstate NY yesterday so I'm sure me and my lovely new wife will be utilizing this wonderful community for all the helpful hints and advice can get over the coming weeks and months.

Rob

Congratulations on your marriage!

When you get ready to make the application, be sure to start a thread in the Visas & Citizenship section with any questions you might have, or to get guidance on the process.  If you think you'll be applying soon, start gathering your paperwork!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
Hello again people,

Rob

Congratulations Rob! And welcome back!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Hello again people,

Rob
Congrats! There are quite a few upstate NYers about, sounds like a lovely spot for a wedding. Good luck with your application, the visas section is the place to be for that! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 10:17:41 AM »
Welcome back :) (and congrats on the marriage)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
Well I was obviously telling big fat porky pies when I bumped this back up and said we were about to get things rolling regards our application back in March  ::)
In short a whole bunch of work commitments for my wife meant we had to keep things on the back burner a little while longer, but well after 11 years of the long distance thing what's a few more months.

Anyway, now things are clear and life has stopped putting up pesky hurdles so we are all set to really get things rolling this time with our application.

I have to admit, probably like lots of other people who have gone through or are going through the whole process just the thought of dealing with all this is incredibly daunting but we know it's not going to do itself so... deep breaths... time to jump in.

Before we start our own thread in the  visa's section where we'll no doubt ask the same questions everyone else is I was just wondering is there a particular thread where the process/timeline is laid out in a really straightforward manner where we can just start ticking things off or seeing which other ducks we need to get in a row? I know, I'm just being lazy, I'm sure I'll find something if I spend a bit of time searching the forums.

Okay so hello again, AGAIN, I (and my wife when she signs up) plan on being on here daily to share and participate in what we can and hopefully make this journey as pain and stress free as possible.

Ta Rob  ;D
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
Before we start our own thread in the  visa's section where we'll no doubt ask the same questions everyone else is I was just wondering is there a particular thread where the process/timeline is laid out in a really straightforward manner where we can just start ticking things off or seeing which other ducks we need to get in a row? I know, I'm just being lazy, I'm sure I'll find something if I spend a bit of time searching the forums.

Unfortunately, there is not, really... everybody's situation is unique, so the evidence you'll require is going to be fairly specific to your application.

But in general, there are three sections of evidence you must satisfy (along with the regular 'administrative' stuff like the application form, shipping label, priority receipt if using, passport(s), etc.):

1.  Financial requirement:

Category A, if the sponsor (UK spouse/partner) has been working in the UK for at least six months in the same job and earning at least £18600.  You'll need to provide six FULL months of bank statements, six FULL months of payslips, a letter from your employer confirming your employment status, and optionally your employment contract and your latest P60.

Category B, if the sponsor has been in their current job for less than six months, but has earned at least £18600 in the last 12 months and will be earning at least £18600 going forward.  You will need to provide twelve FULL months of bank statements, twelve FULL months of payslips, letter from current employment confirming employment status, optionally the current employment contract and latest P60.

If you don't meet either of these categories, there are others... the easiest (least amount of paperwork involved) is cash savings (must have held at least £62500 for at least six FULL months), and the most difficult is for self-employed/business owners.

2. Accommodation:

Just need the tenancy agreement and permission for the applicant to stay there if renting, or a copy of the Land Registry document and optionally the latest mortgage statement if you own your home

3.  Proof of relationship:

I'll leave this one for the others to detail, but you will need to document all the time you've lived together as a married couple, and show proof of how you kept in touch when you didn't live together.

The timeline is:
Determine which financial category you will apply under.
Gather your evidence.
Complete the online application and book biometrics (usually within a few days of the online application).
Attend biometrics.
Within 5 days of attending biometrics, get the full and complete application packet into the post (this is why you gather everything before you apply!).
Wait.
Wait some more.
Keep on waiting.
Gnash teeth.
Wait a bit longer.
Pull out your hair.
Wait.
Celebrate in a flood of emotions!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:34:13 PM »
Thanks so much for such a detailed response putting everything nice and clearly and in order for us. That's a big help :)

Not so much looking forward to the gnashing of teeth and excessive hair pulling but tis all part of the journey I know.

We're gradually ticking all the boxes.
When we first made the decision to go down this route the initial hurdle was the financial requirement for me as the sponsor as I was about a grand below the 18,600 on my last p60. Thankfully working for the NHS I have the constant option of overtime so have just been able to work every hour possible over the past couple of years and have upped my income to about 25000 with a couple of years of payslips, p60's and bank statements backing it up.
Been in the same job for over 15 years and supporting letter from my employer is sorted.

Evidence of the relationship/marriage is no issue although we did somehow manage to lose the marriage licence even though we'd only had it since March (found it jammed between the back of 2 drawers, phew).

One (hopefully) small issue regards accommodation is that despite turning the flat upside down I can't find a tenancy agreement. I've been renting the same flat since 2005. In my hunt I turned up agreements for the 3 previous places I've lived in. Typical. In the notes for the apendix form it also mentioned as an and/or council tax bills/statement and utilities bills. So I'm wondering if those plus a cover letter from my landlord saying I live there and my wife is free to move in are sufficient? I'll figure it out.

Currently over in the states helping my wife with the very stressful job of sorting through all her stuff and deciding what to pack, ship, store or get rid of. Feels completely overwhelming but with it all and like everyone who's already been though this. We'll get there.
...Eventually

Thanks once more jfkimberly for all the info.

Onwards.
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
upped my income to about 25000 with a couple of years of payslips, p60's and bank statements backing it up.
Been in the same job for over 15 years and supporting letter from my employer is sorted.

To note that you don't need that many payslips and bank statements. If you have been with your current employer for more than 6 months, you only need the last 6 months of both payslips and bank statements. Any further back than that, and they will not be looked at.

One (hopefully) small issue regards accommodation is that despite turning the flat upside down I can't find a tenancy agreement. I've been renting the same flat since 2005. In my hunt I turned up agreements for the 3 previous places I've lived in. Typical. In the notes for the apendix form it also mentioned as an and/or council tax bills/statement and utilities bills. So I'm wondering if those plus a cover letter from my landlord saying I live there and my wife is free to move in are sufficient? I'll figure it out.

You MUST include:
- original tenancy agreement showing your legal right to live in the flat
AND
- letter from the landlord giving your wife permission to live in the property after the visa has been granted

Despite what it says, council tax bills/utility bills cannot be considered, because they do not prove that either:
a) you have legal permission to live in the property
or
b) the landlord is giving their permission for your wife to live there

The Maintenance and Accommodation guidance states:

10. MAA10 Legally owned or exclusively occupied
The ECO should consider the basis of the availability and security of tenure of the accommodation. Factors to be taken into account will include:
- the ownership of the property and/or the duration of a lease
- whether any lease enables the tenant to sublet to the couple or take them in as lodgers.

and

11. MAA11 Adequacy of accommodation
The ECO’s judgement should be based on the evidence from the applicant. If the ECO is not sure of the credibility of the applicant, he / she should ask to see a letter from the owner of the property (which may be a housing authority, housing association, landlord or a building society). This should confirm particulars of tenure and occupation of the dwelling, together with a description of the accommodation and, if rented, a copy of the lease.

The onus is on the applicant to provide confirmation that there is no objection to an additional resident moving into the accommodation.

Are you able to get a copy of the original tenancy agreement from the landlord/letting agency? Or if not, can you get a new one?

You WILL need it for the application.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I know I only need 6 months worth of financial evidence. It was irrelevant me mentioning 2 years really. It's just that we'd meant to be initially applying some while back but things kept getting delayed because of family stuff and life events. Either which way thankfully I have the financial stuff covered.

Regards the issue with the tenancy agreement, thanks for letting me know that's a MUST have. I have just written to my landlord saying I can't find it so maybe I'll be able to get a replacement from them although before dealing with them direct I actually got the flat from a letting agency originally so I might have to contact them. Hopefully it won't be a big issue to get the necessary evidence.

Thanks again.
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab