Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Daughter asked me to ask you  (Read 1032 times)

• Liked: 676
Daughter asked me to ask you
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
Near Glasgow, for fabric shops. We know about Manders and Remnant King in city center already. She does a lot of her own clothes, our sea crates (with her sewing machines) are due in any time now, and she needs to find a source for cloth, etc.

Second requested inquiry - is there somewhere in Glasgow that makes sandwiches like WhichWich or Jersey Mikes, or that sort of thing? NOT Subway, she says they are awful.  She's wanting a proper sub sandwich.

Appreciate any input - and we're not above taking a day trip by bus for either of these!  ;D

• Liked: 768
Re: Daughter asked me to ask you
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
Have her look for an Italian deli!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
Ooh... this one looks good.

http://celinos.com/menus.html

I have so many places I want to eat in Glasgow. I've just added another one. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »
Hi Guyz.  She was rather hoping you could recommend a sandwich shop you have actually been to and thought was good, rather than doing a blind internet search and guessing. Something like Jersey Mike's or WichWhich or Quiznos (but not Subway).

And a sewing supplies store (other than Manders and Remnant King) if you know of own. Thanks!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »
Near Glasgow, for fabric shops. We know about Manders and Remnant King in city center already. She does a lot of her own clothes, our sea crates (with her sewing machines) are due in any time now, and she needs to find a source for cloth, etc.

There's also a Remnant King at Jordanhill, and one in Tradeston, just south of the river.  Dunelm sells zips and buttons and fabric dye, and fancy trim... I just don't know if they sell the actual cloth.  Not something I've ever looked for, tbh.

Second requested inquiry - is there somewhere in Glasgow that makes sandwiches like WhichWich or Jersey Mikes, or that sort of thing? NOT Subway, she says they are awful.  She's wanting a proper sub sandwich.

Sorry, no idea... if I want a sandwich, I make it myself.  Never really looked for a 'grinder' (sounds awful now, but that's what the big Italian sandwiches were called where I grew up - LOL!)  Maybe try Sarti's? Or that Roasters place seemed to have some big mega-filled sandwiches (but probably not a sub).  I've never heard of either of those US places you mentioned, so maybe I'm on the wrong track...?

I agree about Subway -- boak.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:02:27 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
I'm not in Glasgow, but our John Lewis has a haberdashery section with fabric, yarn and everything. You can order fabric swatches from their website if there's not a store near you.

Ikea also has a small fabric section. It's definitely not extensive, but it's something and usually a bit cheaper than fabric stores from what I've seen.

I didn't know the word haberdashery until I moved to the UK. They were always just called craft stores in the US. If you don't get other suggestions here, maybe you could try searching for haberdashery and seeing what comes up.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »
That's a good call... we do have a John Lewis (which I've never been in, so don't know if it has fabric, but worth a try!) in the Buchanan Galleries. 

• Liked: 60
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »
That's a good call... we do have a John Lewis (which I've never been in, so don't know if it has fabric, but worth a try!) in the Buchanan Galleries.

Not 100% sure but I do believe it has some fabric. It's a pretty small section, though. They definitely have sewing and knitting supplies.

It's the first floor, just to the left and around the slight corner from the main entrance.

ETA: Yes, it says they have fabrics! I hope they're good ones.
https://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/glasgow/john-lewis-glasgow-store-guide

I haven't really looked for any sandwich shops yet. I'd looooooove a Panera, but any time I ask my husband about getting a soup and sandwich, he looks blank and says ".....There's a Subway?" I'll definitely let you know if I find anything, Nan!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:12:26 PM by brenzie »

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
Hi Guyz.  We were at City Center today and hit John Lewis. Good selection of good quality yarn, not too much for the other.  Remnant Kings was really nice, very satisfactory, having a 20% off sale to the end of the month, and has Liberty prints there too.  Manders was a bit stuffy, more for drapes, couch cover material, but they had some nice tartan.  We'll be back to Remnant Kings in a few weeks for sure. Ikea, yes, they have a small selection. We've actually hit Ikea back in the States and bought curtains that have been turned into clothing (shades of Scarlet O'Hara!) for cheaper than buying the fabric in a fabric store....

Haberdashery (? I can't spell it!) is odd, yes.  When I was growing up that was for hats and gloves, not sewing and crafts supplies....

Will check Dunelm, thanks.

Oh, went to Five Guys city center for a 4th of July Hotdog. They are MUCH better than the one at Braehead and the fries were to die for. Very, very good meal, both of us with a hotdog, splitting fries, and tap water for a total of about 11 pounds. A bit pricey for a HD, but since it was coming down buckets outside we weren't going to get to grill any out back! I was in hog heaven - the fries were perfect.   ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Hi Guyz.  She was rather hoping you could recommend a sandwich shop you have actually been to and thought was good, rather than doing a blind internet search and guessing.

I use TripAdvisor quite a bit and it rarely leads me down the wrong path. "Blind internet searching" isn't necessarily a bad thing :) That's how I've discovered most of my highly recommended places that I've personally tried.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
I use TripAdvisor quite a bit and it rarely leads me down the wrong path. "Blind internet searching" isn't necessarily a bad thing :) That's how I've discovered most of my highly recommended places that I've personally tried.
I found my favorite Glasgow restaurant that way.

And it is how I find interesting places to eat when we travel.

You can't go wrong with hundreds or thousands of reviews.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
I found my favorite Glasgow restaurant that way.

And it is how I find interesting places to eat when we travel.

You can't go wrong with hundreds or thousands of reviews.

Yes! We use it a lot for traveling as well! :) You just need to learn to take things with a pinch of salt (as in don't read the top review and assume it's accurate - whether good or bad....read the majority - or as many as you can before you're bored - and see what the general consensus is)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
I've used Trip Advisor for years. Love it  it has never steered us wrong. However, the Daughter asked for personal recommendations, otherwise I'd have gone to trip advisor in the first place.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

both of us with a hotdog, splitting fries, and tap water

No matter how delicious the tap water in Glasgow, there's no way I could pass up the amazing drink machine in 5 Guys!

Sponsored Links