Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US visit and deployed husband  (Read 657 times)

• Liked: 21
US visit and deployed husband
« on: July 03, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Kind of a complex situation. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I currently live in the UK on a spousal visa. My husband is in the British Army, and is deployed in the Middle East for 6 months right now (March-Sep.). I had an interim UK job earlier this year, which I left so I could have an extended visit with my family here in the US during my husband's deployment. I arrived May 9th, and leave July 30th. My husband's original plan was to have a two week break (R&R) in August- which would also occur over my 30th birthday.

Well, my husband's grandfather sadly passed away recently. He was very close to him, and for a while didn't think he'd be able to come back for the funeral. He previously told me that he didn't think there would be much point in me coming back for the funeral as well, due to practicality issues. He just got the confirmation that he can, but, he must treat his time away for the funeral as his R&R- so he won't get another break in August. This all happened very last minute and suddenly, with not enough time to plan. Meanwhile, I have a lot going on here in the US right now and I can't drop everything and leave. Plus, I still have nearly a month of my trip left, and other commitments (been helping out a lot at my brother in law's business, etc etc.). My husband is understanding, and realizes it was very unexpected and last minute. So at this point it unfortunately doesn't look like we'll be able to see each other during his R&R, and it will just have to wait until September when he's back for good.

As he's not going to be back in August anymore, I'm highly considering extending my visit here in the US to leave at the end of August instead. Would a May-August visit be okay per UK immigration?? I guess my only concern with extending it a month would be the length of time involved with being away.... I would hate to get questioned or detained about why I've been gone for so long, even if my husband is deployed and I have nothing to hide. Please no judgement for not dropping everything and leaving right away!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 342
Re: US visit and deployed husband
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
You have a multi entry spouse visa and I can't see entry being a problem. You can hardly be with your spouse all the time when he is in the AF. :)

There is something about days outside the UK for ILR, but I'm not sure what that is. ksand will know. This is one for the visa board.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
There is something about days outside the UK for ILR, but I'm not sure what that is. ksand will know. This is one for the visa board.

There's no limit on days outside the UK for ILR... that's only for citizenship and it's no more than 270 days in the 3 years prior to applying.

The only issue would be having a good reason for being back in the US without your spouse... and him being deployed is a good reason - you wouldn't be together if you stayed in the UK, so I don't see why it would be an issue for you to be in the US, especially as you have good reason too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Thanks, all. I don't cope very well with unexpected or sudden situations, but I calmed down. We did research and I considered going back for a couple weeks for the funeral/his R&R, and then returning to the US... But the combined cost (even with travel insurance) of a last minute flight change and an extra flight was just too great. So, I'm just changing my flight to end of August instead.

Have mega wife guilt that I can't be there for him, but in this case we just had to put practicality ahead of emotions.  :-\\\\

If I put a positive spin on it though, we just have two months to go- we've already had four being apart, and the majority of his tour is done!

4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »

If I put a positive spin on it though, we just have two months to go- we've already had four being apart, and the majority of his tour is done!

Do put the positive spin on it!  Don't be hard on yourself, just enjoy your time in the US!  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »
Hey, you're most of the way there!  I agree with larrabee, enjoy your time!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab