Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: OTC antibiotic creams (Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc.) - not available?  (Read 15300 times)

• Liked: 674
So, after slicing the tip of my pinkie off on a kitchen mandolin I have found that you cannot purchase OTC antibiotic ointments in the UK?  I'd have to go to a GP to get a prescription, says the pharmacist. Seems like a waste of the GP's time to deal with a wound that two Star Wars bandaids covers up, even with the worry about antibiotic resistance and all that....

(It's healing just fine, but I thought I'd like to have some in the house for the next kitchen mis-adventure. Boots say it can't be done OTC. Best they could offer me was a hydrogen peroxide cream.)

• Liked: 3595
Re: OTC antibiotic creams (Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc.) - not available?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
Yep, that's correct - antibiotic creams are prescription-only (I worked in a pharmacy for several years).

I just bring Neosporin back with me when I visit the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
OOOOh, I wish I'd have checked on that. I gave a bunch of my medicine cabinet stuff away when we were leaving (to a single mom we knew who could really use it) thinking we'd just replace it when we got here. D'oh.  ::)

Well, we can't travel now while the daughter's residence card application is in, or for probably the next six months - for the same reason - so hopefully we won't need it. Any idea if it's illegal to import? We were going to do a Target shipment in a few weeks and would add it to that if not.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
I have read that a good wash with soap and a slather of petroleum jelly to keep out bacteria is as good as these American creams.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
I really like the idea that you've got Star Wars band aids even though your daughter is in college.  She's really lucky!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
Over here we use antiseptic ointments such as Savlon on a cut or abrasion to prevent infection (now that we have run out of the tube of Neosporin we brought over with us). I agree that if it does get infected then it is a PITA to have to go the doctor to get antibiotics prescribed.  I don't know if this is part of the policy to slow the down the wide spread use of antibiotics which is resulting in drug resistant bacteria.

Neosporin ointment is used for: Treating and preventing infection due to minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. Neosporin ointment is an antibiotic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria on the skin or in wounds.

Savlon Antiseptic Cream is used for: The cleansing and prevention of infection in all types of lesions, ranging from minor skin disorders or blisters, to minor burns and small wounds.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
I really like the idea that you've got Star Wars band aids even though your daughter is in college.  She's really lucky!

I've got "Finding Dory" ones, too.  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:03:49 AM »
*adds bandaids and polysporin to the pre-move shopping list*

My "medical stuff" luggage will make a customs officer do a double-take between all the braces and wraps and such! Hopefully they don't give me any problems for bringing 6 months of meds - OTC & prescription just in case.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »

My "medical stuff" luggage will make a customs officer do a double-take between all the braces and wraps and such! Hopefully they don't give me any problems for bringing 6 months of meds - OTC & prescription just in case.

You should not have a problem, we brought stacks of such stuff. Decongestants, aspirin, ibuprofen, naxproxen etc are much more expensive here than in the USA.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »

They have bandaids here too...they're just called plasters.

Anyway, better to bring it and know you have some!  I was on the last week of my birth control prescription when I moved over here and I couldn't get a refill because I was doing mail order.  It was really stressful because I had to re register with the GP here and then call in the minute they opened for a couple days to grab a same day appointment!  Luckily my husband works at the university where the nearest NHS practice is so they didn't give me any trouble about registering without a proof of address.  I just needed his staff ID number and they had our info already.  But yeah, for sure bring as many meds as you can.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 08:01:11 PM »
You should not have a problem, we brought stacks of such stuff. Decongestants, aspirin, ibuprofen, naxproxen etc are much more expensive here than in the USA.

Naproxen is a prescription medication in the UK.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
Well, we can't travel now while the daughter's residence card application is in, or for probably the next six months - for the same reason - so hopefully we won't need it. Any idea if it's illegal to import? We were going to do a Target shipment in a few weeks and would add it to that if not.

If Target won't send it (no idea if they will or not) there are plenty of listings for neosporin on ebay.  :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
Naproxen is a prescription medication in the UK.

Not completely - it is available to buy OTC, but ONLY for period pain.

It's not licenced for sale for any other purpose, so if you have to take it for anything else, you'll need a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
Not completely - it is available to buy OTC, but ONLY for period pain.

It's not licenced for sale for any other purpose, so if you have to take it for anything else, you'll need a prescription.

Good to know! Thanks!  :)

Think it's safe to say it'd be prescription for durhamlad then!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:09:29 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »
Good to know! Thanks!  :)

Think it's safe to say it'd be prescription for durhamlad then!  ;)

Just as well I brought a load over, otherwise I'd have to change my name to Durhamlass. I'm going over to help my son move back in September so I'd better pick up another large bottle of the stuff. It's the best stuff I have for my back pain without a prescription. On the other hand if I could get it prescribed it would be free as I'm in my 60's.

Sponsored Links