Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Salary for a family of 3 in Glasgow  (Read 2599 times)

• Liked: 36
Salary for a family of 3 in Glasgow
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
Hi, we just trying to figure out living expenses.  Will a family of 3 be able to live comfortably on a salary of around 70-75k plus a bonus in the West End of Glasgow?  In the US we live in the DC area and make about twice that but always seem to be in debt so it's hard to imagine being able to live comfortably on half that.  Were going to budget 1200-1500 a month in rent.

• Liked: 3597
Re: Salary for a family of 3 in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Hi, we just trying to figure out living expenses.  Will a family of 3 be able to live comfortably on a salary of around 70-75k plus a bonus in the West End of Glasgow? 

I would say so! That's a HUGE salary for Scotland/the UK :P.

The average salary in Glasgow is about £23,000 per year.

Around 90% of the UK population earn less than £40,000 per year.

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
It's also generally much cheaper to live in Glasgow than in Washington DC.

That said, it's normal to take about a 50% decrease in salary when moving to the UK - salaries are just much lower here - and you will likely need to adjust to having less disposable income.

Here's a cost of living comparison between the two:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Washington%2C+DC&city2=Glasgow&tracking=getDispatchComparison

From that page:
Rent prices are 62% cheaper in Glasgow
Groceries are 33% cheaper in Glasgow
Consumer prices are 22% lower in Glasgow

Utility bills are generally more expensive (34% more in Glasgow), but internet/broadband is 50% cheaper.

What kind of property are you looking to rent? I wonder if your £1,200-1,500 per month is too high.

According to one estate agent website, the average rental prices in Glasgow's West End are as follows:

WEST END
1 Bedroom property £450 PCM – £575 PCM
2 Bedroom property £575 PCM – £800 PCM
3 Bedroom property £750 PCM and above
3, 4, 5 Bedroom HMO property £950 PCM and above

And those rates are higher than in other parts of Glasgow
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:55:16 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »
£75k is a generous salary for Scotland.  But everything will depend on the individual family and their desired standard of living.

The best thing you can do is create a budget that works within your means and follow it.  Personally, I have friends who struggle with budgeting and will always insist that if they had just a bit more money they would be fine. 

• Liked: 116
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
We live in a more expensive place than Glasgow on a lot less money and are able to manage while still eating out once a week (not extravagantly but still) and putting something in savings. It's definitely possible, as long as you are good at sticking to a budget. I would also input your salary into a tax calculator so you'll have a better idea of what you'll actually be taking home.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 680
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
I live in the West End (more or less). My household budget for a family of 2 (what I'm holding us to so we can save up to buy in a few years) is about 2000 pounds a month, inclusive of income tax. We are not suffering in any way or scrimping, but we also do not maintain a car - public transport serves our purposes.  I prepare almost all our meals "from scratch" at home, but we have a snack or two out every week, and usually one pizza (or equivalent). 

What it will cost you to live here is going to depend on your lifestyle.  If you want an upscale  flat, an expensive car, to eat out a lot, go shopping at department stores, etc., your budget needs to be higher.

We looked at a number of flats in Glasgow this past May, mostly near the University of Glasgow. There were some really lovely ones in Hyndland for about 1,000 - 1,400 a month, plus bills. The lowest price on a two-bedroom flat we considered acceptable was 850pounds (in Kelvindale) although there are plenty higher than that in the West End.  Most of the flats come at least partially, if not fully, furnished, although some landlords were willing to remove their furniture.  I'd suggest not renting right on Byres Road or in Hillhead, as it's student (party) central over there quite often. It would appear that the farther west you go, over towards Anniesland, the less expensive housing becomes - you get much more for your money.

Watch for the council tax rates - your water/sewer, etc., comes packaged in your council tax. CT is billed monthly, based on the value of the property and (I believe?) for the water the number of people in the flat.  Google Glasgow council tax bands and there's a lookup service you can put the address into and it'll tell you the tax band. Water/Sewer doesn't get billed on how much you actually use.

For power you have a lot of options - many companies to choose from. We are in a well-insulated flat and our first full-month bill came in at 10 pounds for gas (central high-efficiency boiler, and we don't have the heating system turned on) and 29 pounds for electric for a month.

We have a pay-as-you go cellphone at 5 pounds a month, enough minutes, enough texts, for day-to-day needs (we don't use the internet on it).  We went with Sky broadband and that's running us about 20 pounds a month for the first year, with a landline thrown in. Be aware that, unless you select a plan with unlimited calling, you will pay per call on your landline for outgoing calls. We actually didn't want the landline, but it came with the package cheaper than just going broadband alone. We didn't get a TV package because we have a Roku and you also get like 140 channels over the air here.

Our renter's insurance (with legal insurance included) came to about 7 pounds a month for basic cover.

If you are going to put your child in a private (not state) school, there would be that cost, plus transportation to get him/her there, uniforms, etc.  If either or both of the adults work, there will be commuting expenses.

I spend about $60 (between 40 and 50 pounds) a week on food, and we are eating very well. A nice perk is that most of the grocery stores deliver for free, or for a very nominal fee.

Hope that helps! 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:25:35 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:48:28 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  My daughter will be going to school in Anniesland so we are looking in that area, Hyndland, Jordanhill and Bearsden. 

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Ah, Anniesland seems nice, as did Bearsden the one time I was in each place. Bearsden is more suburban than where I am - I think you'll want a car. Anniesland is on good bus routes, but you probably will still want a car. All the places you mention seem nice. Best of luck with the hunt!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  My daughter will be going to school in Anniesland so we are looking in that area, Hyndland, Jordanhill and Bearsden.

"Leafy" Jordanhill is nice but more urban; "leafy" Bearsden is more suburban but then is closer to the countryside. Bearsden has train link to Anniesland, but not sure about buses.

Family of 3 should easily be able to live on the salary you suggested.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
We just signed a lease for a house on Crow Road in Jordanhill (I know - it's a very busy road) but it's a 5 minute walk from my daughter's school and has a small garden with parking so we are set!  Only negative is the one bathroom and no tumble dryer.  Actually, I am fine with the one bathroom, but my Scottish husband wanted at least 2.  I'm just happy to be close to the city and train lines since I will be the one without a car.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
Congrats, Susan!

Somewhat humorously (probably only to me) we have the two bathrooms, only need one and wish the other one was a box room as we have so much "stuff" and coats to hang up, etc.

The 6 or 6A bus runs down Great Western Road into City Center, where there are some larger department stores and innumerable smaller shops. It's 4.50 for a full day, ride as much as you want, pass on First Western Bus.  Or you can buy a monthly or weekly pass.

You'll like it here. The people are wonderful, even if sometimes incomprehensible. :)

(You might see about buying a condenser dryer, for your sanity. It does rain a lot.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:27:50 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
We just signed a lease for a house on Crow Road in Jordanhill

I know that area... my dog used to go to that vets there on the Crow Road. 
And I attended the Episcopal church in Jordanhill a few times.  The big Morrisons in Anniesland is pretty nice, and there's a smaller Sainsburys the other way along Crow Road toward Partick.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:02:10 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
We just signed a lease for a house on Crow Road in Jordanhill (I know - it's a very busy road) but it's a 5 minute walk from my daughter's school and has a small garden with parking so we are set!  Only negative is the one bathroom and no tumble dryer.  Actually, I am fine with the one bathroom, but my Scottish husband wanted at least 2.  I'm just happy to be close to the city and train lines since I will be the one without a car.

Congratulations. I used to work in Jordanhill and cycled down the Crow Road dodging traffic on my 10-mile route into work from where I live way north of the city. Jordanhill school is excellent (top state school in Scotland, I believe). I realise you're not signed on for that school, but it's an indication that the area is a good one.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab