Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Homemade and amazing!  (Read 2586 times)

• Liked: 424
Homemade and amazing!
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
I love to cook, and for tonight's menu.....classic Italian chicken fettuccine Alfredo..... And a nice wine! I have some incredible old family recipes......anybody want to swap and or add their favorites?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
Re: Homemade and amazing!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »
I love to cook, and for tonight's menu.....classic Italian chicken fettuccine Alfredo..... And a nice wine! I have some incredible old family recipes......anybody want to swap and or add their favorites?

I would love a good fettucine recipe. It's one of my favourite Italian recipes.

I don't have any family recipes you could make over here. The one is a wild rice hot dish, but you can find wild rice on its own here. It needs a full cup.

I do have an awesome citrus honey mustard marinade /amazing sandwich sauce that's easy and my favourite sandwich.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
24 ounces of fettuccine pasta
1 cup of butter
3/4 pint of heavy cream
Salt
Pepper
A dash of garlic salt
1 1/4 cups grated Romano cheese
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 well trimmed chicken breasts

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cook chicken breasts in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, remove and shred with two forks then set aside.
2) Boil water for the fettuccine and add a little salt to the boiling water. Add fettuccine and cook for 8-10 minutes, then drain.
3) In a large saucepan melt butter into cream on low heat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir in cheese over medium heat until melted so the sauce will thicken.
4) Add the shredded chicken and continue to stir on low heat. As the sauce thickens, add the fettuccine and be sure it is thoroughly coated with sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
I would love a good fettucine recipe. It's one of my favourite Italian recipes.

I don't have any family recipes you could make over here. The one is a wild rice hot dish, but you can find wild rice on its own here. It needs a full cup.

I do have an awesome citrus honey mustard marinade /amazing sandwich sauce that's easy and my favourite sandwich.

I'd love the recipe for your marinade/sauce, awesome is my kind of recipe!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
DANG that sounds nice.  ;D

Colour me impressed!

K. Like I said, mine's easy.

Citrus Honey Mustard marinade

1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (I prefer fresh, use double)
1/2 tsp chili flakes (if you like it milder use less)

I've found if you mix the mustard and honey together first the honey incorporates into the orange juice better.

Mix all the above ingredients together and marinate your pork, chicken or shrimp for at least 30 minutes (could be less for shrimp... I don't eat shrimp). The longer it sits the spicier it will get and the more the flavour is absorbed.

When cooking as a marinade you'll add the meat to a hot oiled pan (you could grill it), you don't want the pan too hot as the sugar in the marinade can burn. The cooking time will vary depending on your meat and it's thickness.   

They say to put in half the remaining marinade in with the meat for the last 4 minutes and discard the rest. But...

I think that's a waste of the marinade. I put a little bit of the marinade in so the chops get a bit sticky (I usually do thin pork with the marinade). Then the rest of it is reduced in another pan because the sauce is literally finger licking good. Make sure the sauce boils as you've had raw meat/shellfish in it, no one wants to get sick.

When making this as a sandwich sauce, combine everything like you want a marinade. You could even do it right in the pan. Reduce it until it reaches the thickness you want. I usually do it by halfish. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days afterwards.

Now I usually make at least double for sandwiches, because I love it that much. I also don't really measure anymore. I just add as much as I think looks good... haha. I like a bit extra mustard.

Andria's Chicken Sandwich

Citrus honey mustard sauce
Rotisserie chicken (can cook your own chicken if you want)
Cheese (I prefer cheddar)
Fresh bread - sliced
Baby spinach

My sandwiches are usually with rotisserie chicken, both breasts shredded. If you like the dark stuff that works too. Try making these on the small scale first as you need to learn how much sauce will coat the meat to your desired sauciness.

Add the shredded meat directly to the sauce in the pan. Coat with the sauce.

We toast our bread under the grill (UK) or in a toaster oven (US) so it has a little bit of crunch on the outside.

Then put whatever cheese you like (I enjoy cheddar) on one side and the chicken on the other and put under the heat to melt the cheese and keep the chicken warm.

Once the cheese is melted I add some baby spinach (so healthy). And you're done.

Easy and so good. You don't have to use rotisserie chicken, we've fried chicken breasts and used them, but that just adds an extra step. :)

I love these with Giada's Roasted Red Pepper soup.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/creamy-red-pepper-soup-recipe-1916397

It's one of my favourite (and extremely time consuming) meals since I roast the peppers myself.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:02:24 PM »
I'd love the recipe for your marinade/sauce, awesome is my kind of recipe!

I was busy typing it up as the original 'recipe' for it was a print out off the internet that I left with my mom! haha. She LOVES the sandwiches.

Homemade and amazing!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »
Wow Lyonaria that does sound really good! Think I might have a go at it this week. I have other recipes if you like....Sicilian spaghetti sauce, lasagna, the best potato soup you've ever had, a few good Chinese dishes and sauces.... And more than a few cookie and dessert recipes.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:30:40 PM by Rick Stephens »

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
Wow Lyonaria that does sound really good! Think I might have a go at it this week. I have other recipes if you like....Sicilian spaghetti sauce, lasagna, the best potato soup you've ever had, a few good Chinese dishes and sauces.... And more than a few cookie and dessert recipes.

They're so good. I'm not much of a sandwich person and I love these.

You've got a lot of great recipes it sounds like. Have any good beef and broccoli? I really miss that. British Chinese tastes more Indian to me.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
Would love that potato soup recipe!!

I have a few good ones, will come back with them as I make them so I can write it down as I do it and don't forget any steps!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:13:30 PM »
Would love that potato soup recipe!!

I have a few good ones, will come back with them as I make them so I can write it down as I do it and don't forget any steps!

I love a good potato soup!

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
Well, my potato soup recipe is not the quickest or the easiest but I did create it myself! Most of my recipes are either handed down from my Sicilian uncle and are really old, or I have created them and my wife follows me around writing it down as I was taught to cook in the old way without recipes. A few have been given to me by friends with restaurants.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
One original potato soup recipe coming right up...

Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:

10 diced potatoes
1/2 diced sweet onion
12 stalks of diced green onion
2 tsp salt
1 cup milk or cream
1 stick of butter
3 cups water
6 diced celery stalks
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
8 ounces of mild cheddar cheese grated or cubed

1) In large pot, add diced potatoes with enough water to cover potatoes.
2) Stir and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
3) When tender, remove from heat, drain and set aside.
4) In separate saucepan combine butter, both onions, garlic and sauté them.
5) Remove 2 cups of the cooked potatoes and set aside.
6) Add sautéed mixture to remaining potatoes; add salt, pepper, milk, celery and parsley.
7) Mix ingredients together in pot.
8) Carefully purée small amounts in blender or with a hand blender and return to pot.
9) Add cheese and the two cups of potatoes you set aside to the pot.
10) Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally giving the cheese time to melt.
11) Serve with parsley sprinkled on top.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
Mmmmmmmmm thanks!! Will try that when it gets cooler!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
You've got a lot of great recipes it sounds like. Have any good beef and broccoli? I really miss that. British Chinese tastes more Indian to me.

Well, although it's only in my head I do have a good recipe for that! Give me a bit and I will see if I can write it down for you.

• Liked: 60
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
Here's my all-time favorite thing to cook, modified from a recipe I got online when I was trying to teach myself to cook.

If you like spicy food, double the habanero (I usually use two but I looooove peppers). If you can't find habaneros, Scotch bonnets work just as well. You can also switch up the beans - try some pintos, for example. I also tend to mix in some chili powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.

Slow Cooker Habanero Chili

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup rinsed and drained canned black-eyed peas
1 (15 ounce) can low sodium tomato sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried sage
salt to taste

Directions
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink and evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, place the cooked meat into a slow cooker, and drain any oil from the skillet.
2. Using the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the red pepper, onion, and garlic; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir into the slow cooker with the turkey.
3. Stir the beans, tomato sauce, and habanero pepper into the slow cooker with the turkey mixture. Set on Low and cook for for 7 hours.
4. One hour before the time is up, stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, basil, and sage. Continue cooking the chili for the remaining hour. Season to taste with salt. Serve with cheese on top.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:31:45 PM by brenzie »

Sponsored Links