Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Homemade and amazing!  (Read 2597 times)

• Liked: 60
Re: Homemade and amazing!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
Also, the absolute best brownies I have ever made. Used to take them into work and got tons of compliments. Haven't quite worked out how to convert it to British ingredients/measurements yet, but if you're smarter than me you can make it work! They should be very gooey in the center and they're very sweet.

Ingredients
1 cup butter
2 cup white sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
2. In a large saucepan, melt 1 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.
4. Dust confectioner's sugar on top of brownies.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
I don't have any family recipes you could make over here. The one is a wild rice hot dish, but you can find wild rice on its own here. It needs a full cup.

lyonaria,I've found wild rice by itself in the rice aisle - Tilda brand

I love wild rice, so a recipe like that sounds really good!

Some yummy recipes on this thread!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »

Seriously all wild rice, nothing else?  Which store? 😮

My Tescos and my Sainsbury's don't have it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
So for the lovely Lyonaria....Beef and Broccoli!

1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 tsp asian toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup sherry
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1 pound round steak or sirloin, cut into 1/8 inch thick strips
3 tbsp vegetable oil +
1 thin slice fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
1 pound broccoli cut into florets

DIRECTIONS:

1) whisk together the oyster sauce, sesame oil, sherry, soy sauce, sugar and corn starch in a bowl. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Place steak pieces into a shallow bowl, pour sauce mixture over the meat, stir until coated well....marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat and stir in the ginger and garlic. Let them sizzle in the hot oil for a minute or two then remove and discard them. Stir in the broccoli and toss and stir in hot oil until bright green and almost tender...5-7 minutes. Remove the broccoli and set aside.
3) Pour a little more oil in the wok if needed, stir and toss the beef with the marinade until the sauce forms a glaze on the beef and the meat is no longer pink...appox. 5 minutes. Return the broccoli to the wok and stir until meat and broccoli are heated through. Serve over rice while hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
Haven't quite worked out how to convert it to British ingredients/measurements yet, but if you're smarter than me you can make it work!

I don't try to convert much except temps, I use my US measuring cups and spoons!

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »
I don't try to convert much except temps, I use my US measuring cups and spoons!

I don't either. One thing to realise for baking is US sugar and flour is different than what you get here in the UK. So things may not work exactly how you're used to. 😶
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 10:12:23 PM »
Thank you, thank you, Rick!

I will have to give it a try! Lots of ingredients I'll have to pick up. 😁 will have to do it another week though did my grocery order already.

I miss American Chinese food so badly.

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »

Ha. Tesco does have it! I shall get the recipe from my mom and share it with you guys.

I remember how to make it, but a recipe is always helpful when it's someone's first time. And I haven't made it in 3 years...

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
You are very welcome! Can't wait for that recipe.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
Ha. Tesco does have it! I shall get the recipe from my mom and share it with you guys.

I remember how to make it, but a recipe is always helpful when it's someone's first time. And I haven't made it in 3 years...

Oh yay! I'm glad you found it, because I was going to say I've found it in Tesco. 
I look forward to the recipe  :D
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
Oh yay! I'm glad you found it, because I was going to say I've found it in Tesco. 
I look forward to the recipe  :D

Mom sent me a photo last night so I'll type it up soonish for you guys.

It's a 'hot dish' so it's literally rice, Campbell's soups, ground beef, onion and celery + various things. A very Midwestern dish. We always had broccoli and Pillsbury crescent rolls with it. Such good memories. Haha. It's a family favourite.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
24 ounces of fettuccine pasta
1 cup of butter
3/4 pint of heavy cream
Salt
Pepper
A dash of garlic salt
1 1/4 cups grated Romano cheese
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 well trimmed chicken breasts

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cook chicken breasts in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, remove and shred with two forks then set aside.
2) Boil water for the fettuccine and add a little salt to the boiling water. Add fettuccine and cook for 8-10 minutes, then drain.
3) In a large saucepan melt butter into cream on low heat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir in cheese over medium heat until melted so the sauce will thicken.
4) Add the shredded chicken and continue to stir on low heat. As the sauce thickens, add the fettuccine and be sure it is thoroughly coated with sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

This sounds incredibly easy and delicious (hate making Alfredo's sauces because I get stressed when it comes to making the roux). I will probably have some good things to contribute once I get back from the US :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »
Mom sent me a photo last night so I'll type it up soonish for you guys.

It's a 'hot dish' so it's literally rice, Campbell's soups, ground beef, onion and celery + various things. A very Midwestern dish. We always had broccoli and Pillsbury crescent rolls with it. Such good memories. Haha. It's a family favourite.

Sounds so Midwestern and awesome.    Wonder what I can use instead of soup, since hubby can't eat dairy. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
24 ounces of fettuccine pasta
1 cup of butter
3/4 pint of heavy cream
Salt
Pepper
A dash of garlic salt
1 1/4 cups grated Romano cheese
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 well trimmed chicken breasts

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cook chicken breasts in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, remove and shred with two forks then set aside.
2) Boil water for the fettuccine and add a little salt to the boiling water. Add fettuccine and cook for 8-10 minutes, then drain.
3) In a large saucepan melt butter into cream on low heat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir in cheese over medium heat until melted so the sauce will thicken.
4) Add the shredded chicken and continue to stir on low heat. As the sauce thickens, add the fettuccine and be sure it is thoroughly coated with sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

I'm going to make this , maybe even tonight , but what's the deal with boiling chicken breasts?  I've never even considered boiling meat before.  Why? Do I have to?

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Sounds so Midwestern and awesome.    Wonder what I can use instead of soup, since hubby can't eat dairy.

Dang. It does use cream of chicken AND cream of mushroom. Do they make vegan versions of those soups here?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab