Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Texas-USN-Virginia-UK  (Read 555 times)

• Liked: 7
Texas-USN-Virginia-UK
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Hiya everyone! So excited to have found this site! All I was looking for was information regarding a US tv and a UK ps3 (another story, another board I suspect lol). I am from Texas born and breed. I joined the US Navy in 2010. I deployed to Japan for two years, then to Virginia to the USS Abe Lincoln, then Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. While on the Lincoln, I met my now husband, a RAF stationed at VA Beach. We got married, I got pregnant, didn't reenlist, and now we've moved to the UK for his next posting. We currently live in Tewkesbury, which is a HUGE culture shock for me lol! I've only ever visited the UK twice before moving here. Both time with my husband lol!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Texas-USN-Virginia-UK
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
Hi TexasPeach, welcome!  :)

• Liked: 59
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Welcome to the forums, TexasPeach! Hope you're enjoying your new adventure.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Just realised I didn't say hello :). Welcome to the forum :).

I'm a Brit, but I've lived in the US twice on student visas in the past, and I have US relatives who I visit often, so I've spent about 2.5 years of my life in the US in total :).

I joined the US Navy in 2010. I deployed to Japan for two years, then to Virginia to the USS Abe Lincoln, then Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. While on the Lincoln, I met my now husband, a RAF stationed at VA Beach.

Cool - where is your husband posted? I'm a civil servant but I work on RAF bases (we're part of Ops Wing - I think technically I have an equivalent RAF rank, but it's only used for messing purposes). I'm currently based in Lincolnshire, although I've deployed to the Falklands, Ascension Island, and I'm heading to RAF Gibraltar for 4 months in October :).

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Just realised I didn't say hello :). Welcome to the forum :).

I'm a Brit, but I've lived in the US twice on student visas in the past, and I have US relatives who I visit often, so I've spent about 2.5 years of my life in the US in total :).

Cool - where is your husband posted? I'm a civil servant but I work on RAF bases (we're part of Ops Wing - I think technically I have an equivalent RAF rank, but it's only used for messing purposes). I'm currently based in Lincolnshire, although I've deployed to the Falklands, Ascension Island, and I'm heading to RAF Gibraltar for 4 months in October :).

The hubs just got back from his deployment to the Falklands! He's stationed at Innsworth I'm afraid. We did almost go to Lincolnshire and I hear we might get stationed there next, but it will be a while since we've been here only a year now and I think he's thinking it might be four-fiveish years here.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
The hubs just got back from his deployment to the Falklands! He's stationed at Innsworth I'm afraid. We did almost go to Lincolnshire and I hear we might get stationed there next, but it will be a while since we've been here only a year now and I think he's thinking it might be four-fiveish years here.

Cool :). I have a couple of friends down in the Falklands at the moment - they're in the Officer's Mess and work in the building next to air traffic control :).

I grew up about 30 miles from Innsworth, and would love to get back down that way, but we mostly only work on bases with flying squadrons, since we provide weather advice for the pilots (I actually just briefed an aircrew who flew to the US yesterday, heading for Texas), and the nearest base I could work at is RAF Brize Norton, which is still over an hour away from where I grew up. Lincolnshire's much cheaper to live in than the south though :P.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
Cool :). I have a couple of friends down in the Falklands at the moment - they're in the Officer's Mess and work in the building next to air traffic control :).

I grew up about 30 miles from Innsworth, and would love to get back down that way, but we mostly only work on bases with flying squadrons, since we provide weather advice for the pilots (I actually just briefed an aircrew who flew to the US yesterday, heading for Texas), and the nearest base I could work at is RAF Brize Norton, which is still over an hour away from where I grew up. Lincolnshire's much cheaper to live in than the south though :P.

Ah you'll be a different world, we're an enlisted family lol! You probably know how that is!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
Ah you'll be a different world, we're an enlisted family lol! You probably know how that is!
I was married to a submariner for 20 years.  I miss the submarine community!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
I was married to a submariner for 20 years.  I miss the submarine community!

Yes, I hear the submariner community tends to be very tight knit. I was a corpsman in the us navy and I very much miss the comradary. Civie side is weird lol!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
Yes, I hear the submariner community tends to be very tight knit. I was a corpsman in the us navy and I very much miss the comradary. Civie side is weird lol!
Luckily I have a lot of my old friends and ex-husbands shipmates on Facebook. It still feels like a community I belong in even though we've been retired from it for several years.

My ex is a civilian shiprider now. One deployment after another on all of the CVN'S. When he returns from one deployment he starts pre-deployment workup on the next one. His op-tempo is crazy.

Sponsored Links