Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Surviving the long wait. Karaoke and knitting circle!. Pink toasters available!  (Read 24326 times)

• Liked: 111
I bought a few craftsy kits while waiting for my visa, and the first attempt at making something a specific size is almost done! Crocodile stitch adult slippers. They stretch, but I made the 7-8 pattern when I shouldve gone 9-10 for my 8.5 wide feet... Adding an extra row to the base wasn't quite enough.

First photo is mine in grey, second is how they look on feet from the pattern. I just need a couple buttons for the ankles :)

I'll say, crafting got me through the lengthy end of summer wait last year. And now that I'm here and job hunting it's keeping me sane again.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
They look so good! Ditto to the job hunt survival tactics. I ended up joining a local crocheting club. If you had asked me two years ago, I never would have guessed I'd end up spending my evenings doing yarn crafts in a Scottish pub

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Lived in Manchester - Sept. '15-October '16
Moved back to US: Nov '16
Online App Submitted: 10 April '17
Biometric Appt: 5 May '17
Documents Mailed: 12 May '17
Confirmation Email from Sheffield: 10 May '17
Decision Email: Recv'd 26 July '17 (Dated 24 July)
Visa: Recv'd 28 July  :D

• Liked: 6110
That's awesome margo!  :D

CHARILE!!!  :D You should hang out here more often!!!  ;D.

• Liked: 957
They look so good! Ditto to the job hunt survival tactics. I ended up joining a local crocheting club. If you had asked me two years ago, I never would have guessed I'd end up spending my evenings doing yarn crafts in a Scottish pub

There are worse places I could imagine doing yarn crafts! I also joined the reading/Wokingham expats book club :D

• Liked: 4985
Those are fabulous Margo!

Charlie!  How have you been?

Those are fabulous Margo!

Charlie!  How have you been?
Thanks for the warm welcome back! I just got a new British phone and reset my tapatalk alerts :)

I'm surviving my first Scottish winter. Everyone keeps telling me this year is unusually cold, but I think they might just be trying to make me feel better. My FLR was approved last month, and I'm now registered with a GP, dentist, and NiNo. It's funny how much that makes me feel like a real human again! I joined a Spanish class and a crochet club while I was waiting for permission to work, and I've been borrowing dogs from my neighbors for motivation to stay active. I've started applying for jobs, but no leads yet. I know it's a slow process so I'm trying to be positive about it.

• Liked: 957
Thanks for the warm welcome back! I just got a new British phone and reset my tapatalk alerts :)

I'm surviving my first Scottish winter. Everyone keeps telling me this year is unusually cold, but I think they might just be trying to make me feel better. My FLR was approved last month, and I'm now registered with a GP, dentist, and NiNo. It's funny how much that makes me feel like a real human again! I joined a Spanish class and a crochet club while I was waiting for permission to work, and I've been borrowing dogs from my neighbors for motivation to stay active. I've started applying for jobs, but no leads yet. I know it's a slow process so I'm trying to be positive about it.

The limbo while waiting for all those things is so hard. I just got my desk, so as soon as the desk chair finishes airing I can actually do productive stuff of my own again. (Well, more productive than crocheting, Netflix and reading) Good luck with your job hunt, I hope we both have interviews and offers soon :)

Well done!

This year has been unusually cold.  It really has!  Normally it's just grey and mild, with frosts here and there in the mornings.  Snow is rare.  I enjoyed the snow, especially as it was powdery and not slushy!

Good luck with the job hunt.  What kind of work are you hoping for?

Well done!

This year has been unusually cold.  It really has!  Normally it's just grey and mild, with frosts here and there in the mornings.  Snow is rare.  I enjoyed the snow, especially as it was powdery and not slushy!

Good luck with the job hunt.  What kind of work are you hoping for?
I've enjoyed the sun this weekend, and the longer evenings!

I'm looking for third sector work. My background is in youth program management (I was a youth pastor stateside), and general admin, but I'd be open to anything community orientated, really. My MA looked at food systems, so something there would be a plus. But it's a tough sector to crack into, so I may end up volunteering first.

I've enjoyed the sun this weekend, and the longer evenings!

I'm looking for third sector work. My background is in youth program management (I was a youth pastor stateside), and general admin, but I'd be open to anything community orientated, really. My MA looked at food systems, so something there would be a plus. But it's a tough sector to crack into, so I may end up volunteering first.

Volunteering always helps secure a job!

My Visa Celebration Sweater is finished (yarn arrived the same day as my BRP)!

• Liked: 6110

Wow! That is fabulous Charile!  ;D

I only used to knit shawls because I needed something that the fit didn't matter, ha!

Wow!!!!  What incredible talent.   :D

Thank you! This was my first foray into sized garments. A definite learning experience!!

Thank you! This was my first foray into sized garments. A definite learning experience!!

It's really beautiful.

Curious - how much did the yarn cost that you used?  As it looks like a very expensive jumper!

It's really beautiful.

Curious - how much did the yarn cost that you used?  As it looks like a very expensive jumper!
The yarn was a birthday gift, so even better! It's by a company called Malabrigo. I used 3 skeins of lace weight for the body and sleeves, at £7 each, and about half of a skein of Rios (sport weight) for the hem, collar, and cuffs , which was £13 for the full skein.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab