Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to get MP to act?  (Read 1759 times)

• Liked: 449
How to get MP to act?
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
I feel like I've read at least ten people over last month say they have contacted their MPs who have contacted UKVI on their behalf and then successfully got decision and visa (often after being fobbed off first by UKVI).

I first emailed MP just under 4 weeks ago, 4 follow up emails and about 2 phone calls a week to chase. On Thursday her office said she'd deal with it by end of week???

What has other people's experience been? How have you got successful outcomes?

We just can't afford for this to go on. Ironically we paid priority for this exact reason, to avoid the additional costs to us of waiting for an unknown amount of time  ::)

Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 1891
Re: How to get MP to act?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
You've probably read the thread about my MP experience, so I'll skip the details.  In summary, it was same day service.  All they did was get the status and other info, I am still waiting for my stupid card.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
I feel like I've read at least ten people over last month say they have contacted their MPs who have contacted UKVI on their behalf and then successfully got decision and visa (often after being fobbed off first by UKVI).

I first emailed MP just under 4 weeks ago, 4 follow up emails and about 2 phone calls a week to chase. On Thursday her office said she'd deal with it by end of week???

What has other people's experience been? How have you got successful outcomes?

We just can't afford for this to go on. Ironically we paid priority for this exact reason, to avoid the additional costs to us of waiting for an unknown amount of time  ::)

It seems that the office is the problem, not necessarily the MP? You are going to have to keep on them. Call again. Twice a day, not twice a week. Insist that you are helped. Be that squeaky wheel.
Also some MP's hold surgeries where you can see them in person, would that be a possibility?
Go get 'em, Emily!   ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
When I needed an MP's help many years ago (they were UKBA back then and just as bad), my husband and I (he's the Brit) made an appointment to speak with him in person.  I had my BRP two days later.  I don't think it was coincidence!

I do think putting a face behind the emails/calls helps.  But I do think UKVI fibs the MP's off a lot.  I'd meet with him/her in person and be very clear about what you want/need from them.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
Thanks all. When I last asked about meeting in person it was when the email systems had been hacked and they said I could only make appointment in writing by email (which MP could not access)! I guess I'll try for an appointment again tomorrow. Glad I didnt vote for her! From what I hear, it's her, not the office. We had a responsive and reliable MP in this area until election before last.
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Arghhh - another fob-off phone call with MPs office! This is just beyond!!! Back log... bla bla bla. Put it in front of her... bla bla bla. Next day or two... Ugh!!!

I had same experience with Post Office Money when trying to hold them to their 5-7 days delivery of statements. They even referred up to management who blank refused to help with next day delivery in time for UKVI deadline even after three statements failed to arrive. After I formally complained, the fourth statement arrived a week after the deadline. Their response letter said they could not be held responsible for issues with Royal Mail delivery even though this delivery failure apparently targeted three separate items on three separate occasions from their offices with no other delivery issues at all, and was magically remedied 'by Royal Mail after complaint to Post Office Money. Their letter saying none of it was their fault  and by the way their customers were very important to them, strangely had no delivery problem  Where is the accountability?! think I am getting a serious bout of learned helplessness!! Ok, so I know I lost the focus, but needed to rant!

On a positive note, excellent, ethical, responsive, timely and meaningful service from Co-op, including Co-op Food, Coop Electrical and especially Phone Co-op and from Nationwide Building Society. If anyone if looking for services that will help rather than hinder their application processes and also provide life saving antidote to UKVI and its wicked ways!     

Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 403
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
My MP has responded that he had written to the Home Secretary and would let me know his response. I have followed up but no further reply has been forthcoming.
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
My MP has responded that he had written to the Home Secretary and would let me know his response. I have followed up but no further reply has been forthcoming.

He needs to get in touch with the decision makers at Sheffield, not Amber Rudd!
The Home Secretary only gets directly involved with the highest profile cases.  :)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »
The Home Secretary only gets directly involved with the highest profile cases.  :)

Yup, MP's have a direct access phone line into Sheffield.  He needs to call that number!

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »

My guess is that mbmoffat wrote to MP at house of commons, which i think the MP is legally obliged to act on, and probably asking them to address the broader issues at UKVI, along with his own case. I might be wrong.

I emailed my MP locally and followed up with their constituency office about our specific case, though also naming the broad issues at Sheffield and impact on applicants.

AND I just this minute had a reply from her, apologising for delay and  clarifying details to take forward. Oh the relief! I know it's just an email, and don't know what outcome will be, but it is some communication and hope in this quagmire!
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
FYI (It looks like just an email sent to UKVI at moment, rather than phone call, not sure)...

"Dear Emily

Thank you for your response.

I have raised your case with the UKVI team and will keep you informed as soon as I receive a response.

I have asked for an urgent reply in this case, given the financial consequences for you both as a result of the delay and the fact you paid for priority processing.

I hope to hear from them soon and will be in touch with you as soon as I hear.

Best wishes,'

Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 403
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
FYI (It looks like just an email sent to UKVI at moment, rather than phone call, not sure)...

"Dear Emily

I have raised your case with the UKVI team and will keep you informed as soon as I receive a response.

I have asked for an urgent reply in this case, given the financial consequences for you both as a result of the delay and the fact you paid for priority processing.

Best wishes,'

Well that's encouraging!  Fingers crossed.
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »

"Dear Emily

Best wishes,'

Fantastic! It would be awesome if you had a result by the weekend!  ;D

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
This is just so draining. I have emailed the MP a couple more times to make sure that she is speaking to UKVI directly by phone, and explaining the kinds of experiences and delays and mistakes and misinformation people are facing. The fact that there were two emails indicating that the application was opened and then nothing makes me think it has gone back in a waiting pile. I don't know if the actions related to her contact, it could just be that one of the four solicitor's letters were finally opened. I phoned MPs office again today and it's just so exhausting having to persist and persist to get a response. I am so sick of dragging through all this day after day with no impact of any of the actions I take.
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
I'm drained for you!

Keep doing what you are doing.  Be the squeaky wheel!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab