Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bad haircut  (Read 5049 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: Bad haircut
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
Ok. I'm back.

It didn't go as planned.

The stylist was there cutting someone's hair. The customer greeted me and it turned out she worked there, too, and her English was much better.

The stylist from yesterday offered to fix it right then and there (she even grabbed the cape and motioned for me to sit down) but I said I didn't want it fixed. I wanted a refund.

The customer/co-worker who seemed to act like the owner said they don't do refunds. I told her I'd already made another appointment somewhere else (not quite the truth, but it was my intention). There was a bit of confusion of why I got my hair cut somewhere else already if I'd only just got it cut from them yesterday. I clarified that I'd made an appointment, but not gone to it yet.  ::)

Anyway, she was adamant that they don't do refunds and that I should come back and let them fix it. No charge.

Rather than being out the cost of two haircuts, I caved and am going back at 3 today so she (not the stylist from yesterday) can fix it. She said she can cut it as short as I want it (a bit of a worrying way to put it as now I'm afraid I'll get a cut that is actually shorter than I want). She also said that since my hair is straight, if it's short it will stick straight out (also a worrying suggestion that she doesn't know how to cut my type of hair). I'm not sure where they're from, but I'm guessing Poland (based on the text on the phone screen when the stylist tried to suggest longer cuts from Google images yesterday), so maybe they've got thicker hair that does stand on end if it's really short. My sides are pretty short now and they're not sticking up but now she's got me even more worried.

If you've got any more pics you can send in the next hour of fine, thick hair in a short pixie, please let me know so I can be sure to get what I want.

Now, I've got one hour to search for a million different images of short pixies with fine, thick hair.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 537
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »
Do you do pinterest? They have TONS of great pics. I use it to put together look boards all the time. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
Omg No! Take the money as a loss and go somewhere else. Trust me on this!

It took me a very long time to find a stylist I trust. Not all of them know short hair.

Find a place that does.

I had a great stylist in the US. I stalked my current UK stylist for a year! A year of walking by his shop and watching how he cut hair, how he interacted with his clients, their reactions to him.

I would wait to get my hair cut until I traveled back to the states. Now I don't have to.

You are operating under the sunk cost fallacy right now. Forget about the money already spent. It is not going to end well, from what you are saying!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:55:33 PM by nctami72 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »
How much does a haircut even cost?

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
A few I've found on a quick search:

For the top

Another top

For the back

For the side

Anything strike you as un-doable in these pics?

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Omg No! Take the money as a loss and go somewhere else. Trust me on this!

It took me a very long time to find a stylist I trust. Not all of them know short hair.

Find a place that does.

I had a great stylist in the US. I stalked my current UK stylist for a year! A year of walking by his shop and watching how he cut hair, how he interacted with his clients, their reactions to him.

I would wait to get my hair cut until I traveled back to the states. Now I don't have to.

You are operating under the sunk cost fallacy right now. Forget about the money already spent. It is not going to end well, from what you are saying!

I was considering this but wasn't sure if it was too drastic.

Maybe I just won't go back for the 3p appointment. They have my number from yesterday's appointment, but I don't get any calls (besides DH) so if they did call, it'd be easy to just give it a miss or just tell them I changed my mind.

45 minutes to decide....

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
How much does a haircut even cost?

Luckily, it's not the typical London price where you have to take out a mortgage and promise your first born child. The salon is out in Zone 6, so it's cheaper here than central London.

This cut/butchering was only £25, so it's not a huge loss to me. But it's also not a huge loss to the salon so talking to DH last night, he was certain they wouldn't have an issue giving me my money back.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
It's never too drastic. :)

Sometimes you have to trust your gut.

The longer cut is what i walked into the Aveda salon in derby with. Literally took that before I left. The shorter is right after I washed it and saw how they butchered my hair. I paid £60 for that haircut.  [smiley=furious3.gif]

If your hair is currently where you can stand it, but you just don't like it. You may want to hold off. A truly bad haircut can make you feel worse than you already do.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
It's never too drastic. :)

Sometimes you have to trust your gut.

The longer cut is what i walked into the Aveda salon in derby with. Literally took that before I left. The shorter is right after I washed it and saw how they butchered my hair. I paid £60 for that haircut.  [smiley=furious3.gif]

If your hair is currently where you can stand it, but you just don't like it. You may want to hold off. A truly bad haircut can make you feel worse than you already do.

Those photos are heartbreaking, lyonaria. You had such beautiful hair and it turned into something completely different. :\\\'( Luckily hair grows, but it still really sucks.

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
So I've decided not to go back in today. I don't want to risk it for £25. DH agrees, so at least I don't feel like I'm throwing money around without agreement from my other half. :P Better to cut my losses than wind up with a cut shorter than I want or unfixable.

I'll see how I feel over the weekend.

My options now:
- Keep this cut for a month or so and then get a new haircut (somewhere else, obviously)
- Decide over the weekend to get it cut again sooner (although I don't think it's that bad, just not what I wanted)
- Buy clippers and buzz it... but not to the bone... just so it's an inch or two all the way around. The girls in the videos both mentioned clippers, so I'll see if I'm up for that... and if DH is up for that since he'd be running the clippers ;D The shortest bit of fringe she gave me and the sides are 2 inches and the longest (the bit on top that's longer than I wanted) is about 3 inches. Does anyone have experience with cutting their own hair with clippers? I don't want to make it worse and it's probably more complicated than it seems, right? Nope. Consensus is this is not an option. I've been on the verge of tears already, but botching my hair myself (or DH botching it under my direction) would just make me cry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:58:01 PM by TravelingFrog »

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
For the love of all that is holy to us short haired girls, skip the clipper option! It is way more complicated than it seems. Lol. Coming from experience cutting my sons hair when he was wee!

I would say start asking people for referrals. If you see someone with a short cut you like, ask where they get their hair cut.

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
Those photos are heartbreaking, lyonaria. You had such beautiful hair and it turned into something completely different. :\\\'( Luckily hair grows, but it still really sucks.

Yeah, I was a bit devastated. I'd only been in the UK for about 2 months at the time and I suddenly had really bad hair. I wanted a pixie but not what I got. I wanted what Anne Hathaway had myself at the shortest! haha. Yeah, the positive was it does grow. Luckily I had 3 months before the wedding for it to grow out a bit. I didn't want to leave our house much for a month after that haircut. Which probably didn't help my settling in over here.

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:25 PM »
For the love of all that is holy to us short haired girls, skip the clipper option! It is way more complicated than it seems. Lol. Coming from experience cutting my sons hair when he was wee!

I would say start asking people for referrals. If you see someone with a short cut you like, ask where they get their hair cut.

Yeah. Clippers do take some practice. My mom used to shave our miniature schnauzers with clippers and you had to be careful, you can accidentally cut skin or get a REALLY uneven look, which is okay on the dog. The uneven look, not the cuts. Mom was always really careful about that.

Stylist used to shave my nape sometimes. That sounds a little bit dirty... haha.

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »

Ok. Advice taken.

Out of curiosity, what is the complicated bit? My mom used to cut my brother's hair (simple buzz cut in the beginning that led into a buzz cut with a mohawk) so I assumed it was relatively straight forward. Maybe it's a totally different ball game for women's hair.

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »
Yeah. Clippers do take some practice. My mom used to shave our miniature schnauzers with clippers and you had to be careful, you can accidentally cut skin or get a REALLY uneven look, which is okay on the dog. The uneven look, not the cuts. Mom was always really careful about that.

Stylist used to shave my nape sometimes. That sounds a little bit dirty... haha.
I thought, "If I can shear a sheep,  I can cut my son hair."

Nope!

He's 20 years old now and still traumatized by that haircut.

Sponsored Links