Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cookers  (Read 1592 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cookers
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
nctami72 posted in the "Homemade and amazing!" thread, 

Who has an Instant Pot and what are you making in it?

but as anyone who has an Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker knows, they're worthy of their own thread! So here we go ;D

Mine gets a ton of use. I mostly make curries , stews, chilli, risotto, and baked potatoes/sweet potatoes in mine. 
I need to get a few inserts/bowls so I can try cheesecakes and other puddings and complicated curries.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
Re: Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cookers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Never heard of this... I'm off to do some reading!

http://www.instantpot.co.uk/

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
Yeah! Instant Pot thread. Let the cult following begin!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
A new instant pot will be one of my first UK purchases after I find a job. I love mine so much and can't wait to make all the delicious food for my husband.

I mostly eat a "paleo" diet and this is one of my quick & cheap favorites: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/156918257623/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-gravy

Serve over potatoes or rice w/ some veggies on the side. Yum!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
... this is one of my quick & cheap favorites: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/156918257623/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-gravy

Serve over potatoes or rice w/ some veggies on the side. Yum!

I just looked at the recipe and now I have learned that the Instant Pot is what I want... it has a sautee function?!  You can sear the meat in it?  And it works as a slow cooker or a pressure cooker?!  :(  I love my slow-cooker... I do.  He is awesome and he makes me delicious food while I'm doing other things (I put googly eyes on him, so he's a family member now.)  But the ability to brown things and then slow- or pressure-cook them in the same pot... that is an attractive prospect.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:51:22 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
I just looked at the recipe and now I have learned that the Instant Pot is what I want... 

You do want it.  It's amazing.  Things take no time at all and taste like they've been cooking forever.  The depth of flavours I can get in a curry is amazing.
Meats that are falling to bits after 30 minutes.

You can cook dried pulses without soaking first, in 35-40 minutes time (and depending on the pulse, even less time). 

And apparently makes all kinds of amazing puddings like cheesecake with ease. (I've not tried this yet, but that's only because I hate baking generally).

Rice is brilliant. Risotto is heavenly and no stirring required.

And it goes into the dishwasher, so life is good.

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »
And it goes into the dishwasher, so life is good.

It will be better when I have a dishwasher to put it in.  And best, yet, when I have a kitchen to put the dishwasher in!  For now, the slow-cooker was meant to get us by.

But now I wish I had known to look for an Instant Pot, instead, when we got our slow cooker.  We only have room for one of them, and the Instant Pot does all of the things that I wish my slow cooker could do.  We don't have an oven, only one burner on our electric camping stove, and very little counter space.  Searing meat before cooking it is a step I often have to forego, just because it is too wasteful (of space, dishes, etc.).  But if I could do it in the same pot... *wistful sigh*

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
That literally is my favorite recipe! That gravy is to die for! Drinkable!!!

And I had my UK pot waiting for me before I moved. Lol

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

I do love gravy.  Nom.  I did not know the wonders of the Instant Pot.  I had the occasional friend who raved about theirs on Facebook, but I wasn't really paying attention.  I will look into this more.  I think we're going to be at least another year, maybe two, without a proper kitchen.  It would be nice to have the options that this appliance offers.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
My oven is real sketchy. The seal around the inside is broken and I know it doesn't keep a consistent temperature. Plus it is lopsided so if I bake a cake it spills over one side. Lol

The Instant Pot makes cooking so much easier. And I can make my cheesecakes without burning one half of the top. Lol

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »

I'm so glad to know other people love it! I always share it and never get feedback so I feared my taste might be different lol.

And having the IP waiting is a good idea. I already had DH get a small ninja blender on a previous trip because I also live on smoothies, but an instant pot and stick blender would be a good Amazon purchase ahead of time. He wanted to buy me a new laptop (I need one because mine is now a desktop with a broken screen, but it still works and I can't justify $1000 until I'm settled with a job) but I think these are more in our budget!

I bought my first IP when my crock pot died. It was a great investment :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
I'm back in North Carolina visiting my kids. I used my former IP to make this chicken and gravy and my daughter kept questioning me on how I made it and what did I put in it because it is the best gravy she's ever had.

I was like, "Literally, it is chicken and onions cooked in the Instant pot with a little bit of spices."

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
I'm back in North Carolina visiting my kids. I used my former IP to make this chicken and gravy and my daughter kept questioning me on how I made it and what did I put in it because it is the best gravy she's ever had.

I was like, "Literally, it is chicken and onions cooked in the Instant pot with a little bit of spices."

Gah!  I am going to have to find out how I can get one of these into my house without my husband noticing.  I have got to try that gravy!

My oven is real sketchy. The seal around the inside is broken and I know it doesn't keep a consistent temperature. Plus it is lopsided so if I bake a cake it spills over one side. Lol

The Instant Pot makes cooking so much easier. And I can make my cheesecakes without burning one half of the top. Lol

That sounds like the oven that was in the house we used to rent!  I did roasts in there fine, but baking wasn't a joyous experience.

Also, strangest thing, our lopsided, inconsistent oven had the heating element at the top. like a grill.  No bottom element.  And there was a separate grill, too, so I don't understand!  That's not a UK thing, right?  It's the only oven I've seen inside of, so I don't know if that's just how they are over here.  But it took some getting used to.  Honestly, I've had to learn how to cook all over again since moving.  And I'm not sure how much of it is UK standard, and how much of it is just the quirks of the house we were in.  :/

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
Gah!  I am going to have to find out how I can get one of these into my house without my husband noticing.  I have got to try that gravy!

Search the website - she has a crockpot version too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »

That sounds like the oven that was in the house we used to rent!  I did roasts in there fine, but baking wasn't a joyous experience.

Also, strangest thing, our lopsided, inconsistent oven had the heating element at the top. like a grill.  No bottom element.  And there was a separate grill, too, so I don't understand!  That's not a UK thing, right?  It's the only oven I've seen inside of, so I don't know if that's just how they are over here.  But it took some getting used to.  Honestly, I've had to learn how to cook all over again since moving.  And I'm not sure how much of it is UK standard, and how much of it is just the quirks of the house we were in.  :/
Yes, heating element on top in the oven and a separate grill. No sense!

Sponsored Links