Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Grape juice  (Read 1096 times)

• Liked: 154
Grape juice
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
I found Welches grape juice in Tesco today. It's sweeter than I remember..could be because we always had to drink the no sugar added kind because my brother had diabetes.

However...it's grape! lol I hate black currant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
Re: Grape juice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:28:09 AM »
I can't imagine grape juice with sugar added! But I am also not a black currant fan, so it's nice to see it's available. :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
I feel like everything here has added sugar- literally.  Every meat is "sweet chilli flavoured ", which means sugar.  All lamb is flavoured with "Mint Sauce", which is also sugary. Even the bread is pumped full of sugar. 

It's all because they want stuff to last forever on the shelf, so they pump it full of preservatives.  Then they have to cover the taste of the preservatives and sugar works great for that.  Still, it's a bit bizarre when all the meat is sweet.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »
Also, sugar acts as a preservative, so it's a two-birds thing.  https://www.acsedu.co.uk/Info/Alternative-Living/Self-Sufficiency/Sugar-in-Food-Preserving.aspx
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »
Even the bread is pumped full of sugar.

Today I picked up a loaf of cheese bread from Tesco. We get it every few weeks so we know what it tastes like.

Today I had some before DH was home and swore the bottom crust was sweet. Without me mentioning anything, DH said the same thing so I know I wasn't imagining it!

I'm guessing they baked something sweet on a tray and then baked savoury bread on the same tray without cleaning it or even wiping it off.

It was odd.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
I feel like everything here has added sugar- literally.  Every meat is "sweet chilli flavoured ", which means sugar.  All lamb is flavoured with "Mint Sauce", which is also sugary. Even the bread is pumped full of sugar. 

It's all because they want stuff to last forever on the shelf, so they pump it full of preservatives.  Then they have to cover the taste of the preservatives and sugar works great for that.  Still, it's a bit bizarre when all the meat is sweet.

I agree! I've been trying to cut sugar and it's shocking how much of it there is in things.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
Today I picked up a loaf of cheese bread from Tesco. We get it every few weeks so we know what it tastes like.

Today I had some before DH was home and swore the bottom crust was sweet. Without me mentioning anything, DH said the same thing so I know I wasn't imagining it!

I'm guessing they baked something sweet on a tray and then baked savoury bread on the same tray without cleaning it or even wiping it off.

It was odd.

That's kind of disturbing in the realm of food safety .

I don't think I could eat sweet cheese bread. Though I really like the fresh Mediterranean bread they make. It's my favourite.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
That's kind of disturbing in the realm of food safety .

I don't think I could eat sweet cheese bread. Though I really like the fresh Mediterranean bread they make. It's my favourite.

I agree, what if there was some kind of allergain transferred?

Did anyone else hear about the student that was very allergic to bread and actually died when another student threw a piece in his mouth?  This happened in London within the last month or so.  Unbelievable.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:38 PM »

Did anyone else hear about the student that was very allergic to bread and actually died when another student threw a piece in his mouth?  This happened in London within the last month or so.  Unbelievable.

It was cheese. And it doesn't even sound like it was thrown in his mouth - just thrown at him, although the article is a bit unclear.  :-\\\\

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/11/karanbir-cheema-dies-allergic-reaction-cheese-allegedly-forced-on-him
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
Oh yeah, cheese.  I should have been less lazy and looked it up. 

I'm really suspicious, who's that allergic to cheese?  Peanuts maybe, but cheese?  Enough that you die is someone throws it at you?  Dubious.

• Liked: 60
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
I'm really suspicious, who's that allergic to cheese?  Peanuts maybe, but cheese?  Enough that you die is someone throws it at you?  Dubious.

I went to school with a girl who had a dairy allergy. I don't think she would have died unless she had a lot and forgot her Epipen, but we had to buy vegan things when we prepared food as a group.

Unrelated, but there was also a girl at my school who was allergic to corn. Her life sounded miserable. Could barely eat anything, couldn't take gelcap pills, etc.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »

Anyone with allergies knows to avoid foods prepared in common production areas. ;)

That story is really suspect :( But I've also seen in support forums that GP's are taking away people's epi pens at alarming rates based on the results of blood tests, and for allergies those blood tests are notoriously unreliable and these people are regularly hospitalized with anaphylaxis. UK allergy care leaves me very afraid at the moment since almost all of my reactions are not to normal allergens.

Sponsored Links