Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR next year, moved house last year...  (Read 389 times)

• Liked: 1327
ILR next year, moved house last year...
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:33:26 AM »
This is a thing that has been kind of niggling at my mind for a couple of weeks now.  For about 5 years before I met my now-husband, and for the first 4 years of our relationship, he had rented a house, and the landlord provided a letter for each of my applications saying it's okay for me to stay with him.  So that was all sorted.

But last year, we bought a house and we moved.  I have managed to start collecting suitable pieces of correspondence spanning the years that show both of our names at the old and new address (just two more time periods to go... this fall, and next spring), so I can show that we have had the same physical address.  I assume I'll just explain the change in address by saying we bought a house, and I'll show the Land Registry document for our accommodation info.

The bit that's been bugging me, though, is, from Monday through Thursday, he commutes to where we used to live and stays there during the week for work.  His job didn't move with him, and he hasn't been able to find a job in our new area (near Swansea) that will satisfy the income requirement.  (We moved here because it had a lower cost of living, so we could afford to buy a house... but lower cost of living also means lower salaries.  Even starting graduate salaries are lower than the £18.6k threshold from what I have seen in job adverts.)

He comes home every weekend, but technically he's gone (from 7am Monday until 9pm Friday) more than he's home (Friday 9pm to Monday 7am).  Do I list this as time we're apart, or do I just pretend it's not an issue.  I would completely skip telling them except that his employment address could possibly raise eyebrows.  It's a 150-mile (each way!) commute from where we live.

So, how do I play this?  I'm still hoping that sometime in the next couple of months, a job will land in our laps, and he'll have been in it for more than six months by the time we apply next year.  But if that doesn't happen, and we're still in this ridiculous situation next May, what do I say?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:35:58 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Re: ILR next year, moved house last year...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »
53 views and no replies?  :-\\\\ Have I asked a really stupid question, or does nobody know what the answer is?  Blargh, I really hope we find him a job soon!  I don't want to try to figure out how to answer this question next year.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
Sorry - you posted pretty late last night. I did see the post, but I was already in bed and when I woke up this morning, I totally forgot about it.

I assume I'll just explain the change in address by saying we bought a house, and I'll show the Land Registry document for our accommodation info.

You don't need to specifically 'explain' anything. It doesn't matter how many different addresses you've had, as long as you were both living at the same address as each other.

So, you just provide the Land Registry document for your ILR (and possibly your latest mortgage statement too), and you don't need to say anything else.

Do I list this as time we're apart, or do I just pretend it's not an issue.  I would completely skip telling them except that his employment address could possibly raise eyebrows.  It's a 150-mile (each way!) commute from where we live.

So, how do I play this?  I'm still hoping that sometime in the next couple of months, a job will land in our laps, and he'll have been in it for more than six months by the time we apply next year.  But if that doesn't happen, and we're still in this ridiculous situation next May, what do I say?

Well, if he is still at his current job by the time you apply, then they will see that he has been working 150 miles away anyway, so they may be curious as to the logistics of commuting.

So, you just need to state that his permanent address is the house you own - and presumably his correspondence items are being sent to that address and not the address where he stays in the week - but that he commutes for work each week and stays in temporary accommodation.

As long as you have a valid, good reason for being apart during the week - i.e. his work being 150 miles away and being unable to find a suitable job nearer to where you live - it shouldn't affect the application.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:37:00 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »
Sorry - you posted pretty late last night. I did see the post, but I was already in bed and when I woke up this morning, I totally forgot about it.

You don't need to specifically 'explain' anything. It doesn't matter how many different addresses you've had, as long as you were both living at the same address as each other.

So, you just provide the Land Registry document for your ILR (and possibly your latest mortgage statement too), and you don't need to say anything else.

Well, if he is still at his current job by the time you apply, then they will see that he has been working 150 miles away anyway, so they may be curious as to the logistics of commuting.

So, you just need to state that his permanent address is the house you own - and presumably his correspondence items are being sent to that address and not the address where he stays in the week - but that he commutes for work each week and stays in temporary accommodation.

As long as you have a valid, good reason for being apart during the week - i.e. his work being 150 miles away and being unable to find a suitable job nearer to where you live - it shouldn't affect the application.

Ah, thank you!  This was exactly what I hoped someone would say.  So it doesn't require any special documentation, or anything.  His post does come to our new home and he comes home every weekend.  So I'll just state that in my cover letter and in a note in the application section for explaining any time apart.  Thanks, as always, ksand24!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
53 views and no replies?  :-\\\\ Have I asked a really stupid question, or does nobody know what the answer is?  Blargh, I really hope we find him a job soon!  I don't want to try to figure out how to answer this question next year.

Only ksand would know the answer to this and for once in her life, she was sleeping :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab