Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee Visa/provisional license  (Read 2501 times)

• Liked: 87
Fiancee Visa/provisional license
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
Hey everyone,
My apologies if this has been talked about. I just arrived yesterday on a fiancee visa. Am I permitted to apply for a provisional driving license on this visa or do I need to wait until I have my FLR-M/BRP? Everything I've read says you have to be a "resident" and I'm not sure if I'm considered on on this visa?

Further, my fiancee has mentioned that I may not need a provisional since I already have a driver's license. That I could possibly just get lessons and then take the test? What is everyone's experience with this?

Thanks for any info!

• Liked: 3589
Re: Fiancee Visa/provisional license
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
You are considered a resident, as your visa is a settlement visa.

You should be able to apply for a provisional licence at any time, though you'll need to send off your passport when you apply for it.

While you can drive legally on just your US licence, you WILL need a provisional licence in order to take the theory and practical driving tests.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
Just as an FYI you can't even book the tests without your provisional license. They want the number on it. 🙂
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:38:12 PM »
This site has so much information and people are so generous with their time, experience and knowledge!  We had no idea that hubby would need a provisional licence to be able to take the tests, and that he would have to send his passport away to get it.

This site was invaluable when we were applying for his visa - and continues to be a fantastic resource.

Thank you!!!!!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
  We had no idea that hubby would need a provisional licence to be able to take the tests, and that he would have to send his passport away to get it.

If he has a BRP card (a spousal visa), he may only need to send the BRP and not the passport. I only said passport above because the OP has a fiancé visa  and won't have a BRP yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 248
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:58 AM »
Thank you!  Will check - but at least I now know I have to check.

• Liked: 10
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
Just to follow up on this since its forever since I applied for my provisional, can you apply online for a provisional licence with a US passport or do you have to do the manual form and post it all off?

Thanks!  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »
You can apply online, will save you a few quid, but you'll still have to send your passport or BRP off to the DVLA after you apply.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 10
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:41 AM »
Great thanks yes I'm all for saving the money where I can after a visa app! just couldn't remember if you needed a NI number for online and with it being a fiance visa my other half won't have one yet!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 30
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
Sorry, I am new to all of this. So before I start driving in the UK/NI I need to apply for the provisional license? Then I can practice driving in the UK and take the regular test?
Married in NI: 30 Dec 2016
Moved to NI: 30 May 2017
FLR(M): 22 April 2020
EUSS (pre):  21 Oct 2020
EUSS: 6 July 2022
Citizenship: 21 Dec 2022
US I-130: 16 December 2022

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
Sorry, I am new to all of this. So before I start driving in the UK/NI I need to apply for the provisional license? Then I can practice driving in the UK and take the regular test?

You can drive on your US license for up to one year from when you first arrived but it's a good idea to get your provisional and move on with lessons for taking your UK test as it'll take a several months from start to finish.

• Liked: 30
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
Are formal lessons mandatory? Or can my husband just help me brush up on the differences from driving back home?
Married in NI: 30 Dec 2016
Moved to NI: 30 May 2017
FLR(M): 22 April 2020
EUSS (pre):  21 Oct 2020
EUSS: 6 July 2022
Citizenship: 21 Dec 2022
US I-130: 16 December 2022

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
Are formal lessons mandatory? Or can my husband just help me brush up on the differences from driving back home?

They are not mandatory but highly recommended. Why don't you book one to begin with then take it from there?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
I doubt he’ll be able to.  In my experience, the UK test is all about showing that you can do certain things in exactly the way they want you to do, like backing around a corner.  When I took my test, it was crucial that I be able to start with the car at the curb on one road and then very carefully and slowly back around a corner until my car was on another road.  I was trained to do this as part of my lessons and dutifully showed I could do it during the test.  I have never done it since and couldn’t possibly teach you how to do it as I can’t remember all the obscure rules.  The test is full of that kind of thing. 

Incidentally, while everyone in this country is pretty good at backing around a corner, none of them have the slightest clue about driving on the motorway.  That whole subject is completely ignored. 

I had two lessons and lots of practice backing around corners and parallel parking and passed first try . 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
I recommend lessons.  You won't be learning how to drive, just learning how to pass the test!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab