Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Photographs  (Read 671 times)

• Liked: 1
Photographs
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Hi,

does anyone know of any other guidance for what photos must be included in an application?

I am applying under FLR(AF) and the guidance notes dated 04/2015 ask only for 2 applicant photos whereas the guidance notes for FLR(M) dated 04/2017 ask for a sponsor photo also. The FLR(AF) guidance notes also have the incorrect fee. The 04/2015 guidance notes on the gov.uk website is the latest version though as far as I can tell.

Small differences like this plant seeds of doubt though  :(

• Liked: 3595
Photographs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
The photos you need are listed clearly on the application form. I don't usually pay much attention to the guidance notes, since there is usually more detail given on the application form itself.

On the FLR(AF) form, there is a whole section dedicated to Photographs, which is Section 11. It specifies exactly how many photos you need and what format they must be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Photographs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »
The form itself only ever asks for applicant or child applicant photos on page 7 and 11, it never mentions sponsor photos, only on the section 11 page and this is just a tick list asking to tick the relevant box of what photos are being included. The form never specifies a requirement to send sponsor photos.

Do you think it best just to include one anyway?

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
The form itself only ever asks for applicant or child applicant photos on page 7 and 11, it never mentions sponsor photos, only on the section 11 page and this is just a tick list asking to tick the relevant box of what photos are being included. The form never specifies a requirement to send sponsor photos.

Do you think it best just to include one anyway?

You MUST include one, it's mandatory.

Section 11 is the official guidance on photographs that must be included, and in that section it states that your application will be invalid if you do not include all the photographs listed:

It is mandatory to provide the relevant photographs specified below, and for each photograph to comply with the madatory format requirements specified in the separate photograph guidance provided with this form.
Please note that this application will be invalid if you do not provide the photographs or if they do not comply with the specified mandatory requirements.

The fact that it doesn't ask for sponsor photos on page 7 and 11 is irrelevant because that's not where it lists the mandatory documents. The sponsor's photograph is required in Section 11.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
Also, in the declarations, the applicant has to sign to confirm the following:

I confirm that the photographs submitted with this form are a true likeness of myself, my spouse or civil partner and any children under 18 who are applying with me, as named on the back of each photograph,

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
Also, if you check the FLR(M) application, you will see that a sponsor's photograph is mandatory as well. It seems to just be an oversight that they haven't mentioned it on the FLR(AF) form too (the FLR(AF) form doesn't seem to have been planned out or checked very well... it also has spelling errors on it!).

Since the only real difference between FLR(M) and FLR(AF) is the length of time the visa is issued for, the document requirements should be pretty much exactly the same, because it's ultimately the same visa - if a sponsor photo is requirement for FLR(M), then it should be a requirement for FLR(AF) as well, because you are proving the same things for both visas.

From FLR(M):

Section 3 - Your sponsor’s details
“Sponsor” in this section means your spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, same-sex partner or parent who has limited leave to enter or remain as the partner of a settled person or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection. It is mandatory to complete this section as required. Please note this application will be invalid if you do not.

Photographs - You must provide one photograph of your sponsor. Write your sponsor’s full name on the back of the photograph and enclose it in an envelope attached to section 1 as instructed there.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I completely agree with the logic behind what you are saying, it is just very frustrating that the form is so different from the FLR(M). The differences in wording is very misleading.

I will send one just to be safe.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
Since the only real difference between FLR(M) and FLR(AF) is the length of time the visa is issued for

This is what's been niggling me about Paul's posts. His wife was granted a spouse visa in November 2014. I thought they were made good for the whole 5 years as AF applicants.
If so, why is he applying for FLR now?

Just looked it up in the rules and it seems that it is granted for a shorter time if the enlistment period ends sooner but if that's the case, shouldn't he be using FLR(M)?

Entry clearance and leave to enter granted under paragraph 23 will normally be:

(a) for whichever is the shortest period of:
        (i) 5 years;
        (ii) the remaining duration of the applicant’s partner’s enlistment;
        (iii) the remaining duration of the applicant’s partner’s extant leave under paragraph 276KA or 276QA of these Rules or paragraph 15 or 19 of this Appendix or under the concession which existed outside these Rules whereby the Secretary of State exercised her discretion to grant leave to enter or remain to a member of HM Forces who has been medically discharged; or
        (iv) in the case of a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, a period not exceeding 6 months; and

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-armed-forces

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
My wife applied using appendix armed forces originally 2 years and 8 months ago, it expires on 5th August this year so we need to apply for FLR. I have no idea why we were not given a 5 year visa, I will be in the forces for at least another 8 years from now. I am not sure if the rules have changed between now and when we originally applied for a spouse visa.

The visa expires in 17 days so I will have to submit the FLR(AF) but I will put a cover letter in there asking why we were not originally given a 5 year visa.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:48:51 AM by paulboo »

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
My wife applied using appendix armed forces originally 2 years and 8 months ago, it expires on 5th August this year so we need to apply for FLR.

A few questions:

What does the endorsement on her visa say?

Also, what is the exact length of her visa (valid from and expiry dates)?

What proof of enlistment did you provide with the previous application? (i.e. what was your end of enlistment date/length of service listed on there?)

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
The visa is a SPOUSE/CP- Spouse of......

It is valid from 05/11/14 to 05/08/17.

I included a letter from HR stating my employment details which included that I am enlisted until 06/01/2026.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
The visa is a SPOUSE/CP- Spouse of......

It is valid from 05/11/14 to 05/08/17.

I included a letter from HR stating my employment details which included that I am enlisted until 06/01/2026.

Hmm, okay - well, it should have been issued for 5 years (though this has now been changed to 4 years, looking at current guidance), but instead it was issued for 33 months, which is the normal length of a non-HM Forces spousal visa.

So, I have a feeling that the first visa was not issued under AF rules and therefore is a regular spousal visa. If it had been issued under AF rules, you would not be needing to apply for an extension at all, because the visa would be valid until 5th Nov 2019 and you would just apply for ILR in 2019.

Unfortunately, the visa length should have been questioned when the visa was first issued and sent back to UKVI for correction to the proper 5-year visa.

I think this means that you'll need to use FLR(M) to apply for this visa instead of FLR(AF) because your current visa hasn't been issued as an Armed Forces visa.

Since the documents are the same for both, it should just be a case of printing and filling out FLR(M) instead of FLR(AF).

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I'm not sure what to do. We made a copy of all the paperwork sent away for the first visa and we definitely used the Armed Forces Appendix, unfortunately this is the first time in a few years that the 5 year visa has been brought to my attention so I haven't  questioned the visa length.

I will send off the FLR(AF) application we have put together but will put a cover letter in explaining what we used to apply originally and that there may have been a mistake.

This is so stressful. I will keep you updated as to what happens.  :(

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
I will send off the FLR(AF) application we have put together but will put a cover letter in explaining what we used to apply originally and that there may have been a mistake.

This is so stressful. I will keep you updated as to what happens.  :(

I think that's what I would do. If a mistake was made, it was theirs not yours so they shouldn't penalise you for it.
Good luck and do keep us posted!  :)

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »
I will, thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links