Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Made it to the U.K...JUST: issue with son's immigration  (Read 551 times)

• Liked: 75
Made it to the U.K...JUST: issue with son's immigration
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:45:05 AM »
I did not apply for my son's settlement Visa - his dad is British by birth and I assumed (you know what happens when one assumes) that since my daughter (born in UK) got her USA passport easily (went to the post office and sent in my passport and her BC as evidence) it would be the same process. Got stopped at Border control. The Officer didn't really know what was going on (does anyone here?) and didn't listen to me at all. Left to check with a manager. I informed her that we would apply for his passport once I was home as his dad is British - plus he is eligible for a 6 month stay. Obviously my 3 year old won't be illegal in this country. She ignored me. Came back and handed me his passport with the 6-month visa and a hand written note that had my husband's name and passport number along with "British citizen" scribbled on it. Also my son got the 6 month stamp but he can't work. That's literally what it says. He's 3.

Anyway she still had no idea what was going on (she looked VERY young) and I could tell she felt bad. She was like "he shouldn't travel on his US passport again."

So now I'm stressed that I didn't apply for him! His information was everywhere on my settlement including that he has his US passport and is born there so I assumed (again ha) that if it was a issue I would find out.

Basically what I'm asking is: now what? We're supposed to go on vacation in two weeks!

I literally had the worst journey over here (missing bags, AIRPORT DOORS WOULDN'T OPEN TO LET US OUT!) and this new added stress. I neeeeeeeddddd a break.

Please help. Also send Taco Bell. I'm jet lagged and need comfort food.
Married December 8, 2007
1st Application Submitted: February 8, 2017
1st Application Decision: February 16, 2017: (refused due to missing information)
-
2nd Online application submitted April 30, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK May 4, 2017
UPS Tracking Delivered to Sheffield May 8, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield May 15, 2017
Retroactive Upgrade to Priority*: June 2, 2017
Decision Made on Tracker: July 1, 2017
Decision Made Email: July 3, 2017

• Liked: 404
Re: Made it to the U.K...JUST: issue with son's immigration
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:09:53 AM »
Sounds like confusion after you've had a long flight and a stressful few weeks. 
Looking at it objectively I don't know specific answers but I am absolutely positive there are no insurmountable barriers or problems here. There's nothing untoward or odd except a young Border control person who is probably scared senseless of making a mistake and covering her ass to the max.
In the morning take a look at it and start working through the problem step by step, which sounds to me like going and getting your son a UK passport at the earliest opportunity.   I believe there is one week and even a one day service.

Good luck and don't fret, this will be fine!   
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
Glad you got into the UK :).

Sorry about the issues with your son. However, he should always have a UK passport in order to enter the UK... otherwise he risks encountering the trouble you obviously had at immigration. Because he has been stamped in as a visitor, he is under visitor visas rules as a US citizen and is technically not eligible for NHS care, benefits or schooling/childcare.

If we'd realised he didn't have a UK passport yet, we would have advised you to apply for it before you left the US :(.

You'll need to apply for his UK passport ASAP, and I would do it before you leave the UK again. As mbmoffat said, it looks like you can use the one-week service, though the one-day service is not available for a first child passport.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/cost
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:02:15 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 449
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
I did not apply for my son's settlement Visa - his dad is British by birth and I assumed (you know what happens when one assumes) that since my daughter (born in UK) got her USA passport easily (went to the post office and sent in my passport and her BC as evidence) it would be the same process. Got stopped at Border control. The Officer didn't really know what was going on (does anyone here?) and didn't listen to me at all. Left to check with a manager. I informed her that we would apply for his passport once I was home as his dad is British - plus he is eligible for a 6 month stay. Obviously my 3 year old won't be illegal in this country. She ignored me. Came back and handed me his passport with the 6-month visa and a hand written note that had my husband's name and passport number along with "British citizen" scribbled on it. Also my son got the 6 month stamp but he can't work. That's literally what it says. He's 3.

Anyway she still had no idea what was going on (she looked VERY young) and I could tell she felt bad. She was like "he shouldn't travel on his US passport again."

So now I'm stressed that I didn't apply for him! His information was everywhere on my settlement including that he has his US passport and is born there so I assumed (again ha) that if it was a issue I would find out.

Basically what I'm asking is: now what? We're supposed to go on vacation in two weeks!

I literally had the worst journey over here (missing bags, AIRPORT DOORS WOULDN'T OPEN TO LET US OUT!) and this new added stress. I neeeeeeeddddd a break.

Please help. Also send Taco Bell. I'm jet lagged and need comfort food.

Welcome! You made it! :D Hope you get your son's passport sorted quickly - sounds like you can - even through the jet lag fog.
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
  Also send Taco Bell. I'm jet lagged and need comfort food.

Taco Bell is in the UK!  ;D  http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk/faqs/

Scroll down for locations.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
Glad they stamped him in.

I just recently applied for my son's first passport (online) and had it back one week after I sent the supporting documents.  Definitely get it before you try to re-enter again.  I don't think you'll be as lucky next time (the warning will be in their system).

• Liked: 75
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
I'm glad I posted here, calmed down a little bit since 4 am.

So, does my son need a report birth abroad form or can we directly apply with his birth certificate and dad's birth certificate and other docs? I know this is very silly of us, but I was going by the US system and I just directly applied for DD with my US passport and birth certificate.
Married December 8, 2007
1st Application Submitted: February 8, 2017
1st Application Decision: February 16, 2017: (refused due to missing information)
-
2nd Online application submitted April 30, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK May 4, 2017
UPS Tracking Delivered to Sheffield May 8, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield May 15, 2017
Retroactive Upgrade to Priority*: June 2, 2017
Decision Made on Tracker: July 1, 2017
Decision Made Email: July 3, 2017

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
I'm glad I posted here, calmed down a little bit since 4 am.

So, does my son need a report birth abroad form or can we directly apply with his birth certificate and dad's birth certificate and other docs? I know this is very silly of us, but I was going by the US system and I just directly applied for DD with my US passport and birth certificate.

Apply for it here.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/overview

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
There's nothing untoward or odd except a young Border control person who is probably scared senseless of making a mistake and covering her ass to the max.

Although British citizens are always settled in the UK, they need proof of that citizenship. Letting a child in who doesn't have proof they can settle in the UK,  who arrived with their mother who is going to settle in the UK, was quite good of them. This has now given the parents time to sort out getting a British passport from within the UK, which won't take long.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:12:21 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
You'll be ok! We entered the UK at the end of February with my then 3 month old son. He only had a US passport and as soon as we arrived, I applied for his UK passport (arrived in 6 days).

After we received his UK passport, we left the country and then when we returned he entered on that one.

Also, you don't need a certificate of birth abroad, just his actual birth certificate.

Glad to hear you made it to the UK!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »
You'll be ok! We entered the UK at the end of February with my then 3 month old son. He only had a US passport and as soon as we arrived, I applied for his UK passport (arrived in 6 days).

After we received his UK passport, we left the country and then when we returned he entered on that one.

Was leaving and re-entering necessary?  This doesn't apply to me at all, but I was curious about the need for this step.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
Yes; if you don't, you remain in on the visitor stamp.

• Liked: 253
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
Slightly unrelated (but not really), are you still going on your family vacation soon?

Cause if you get your son's UK passport before them and have to leave/re-enter, that might be the perfect time to do it.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
Huh.  Do they stamp your UK passport if you enter on it?  How would they know?... oh.  Is it when they scan the passport?  Our comings and goings are being tracked in the system?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links