Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sending medication to the UK from the US  (Read 2001 times)

• Liked: 261
Sending medication to the UK from the US
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »
Long story short, my husband went ahead and moved to the UK while I await my visa. I just took delivery of the last month's worth of medication (cold storage required) for him, and the original plan was that I would just bring it with me when I travel. As my visa is not yet approved, can anyone tell me what my options are for getting this medication to him ASAP? UPS flat out won't do it.

Thanks!
Applied online: 22 June, 2017
Biometrics and Docs mailed: 23 June, 2017
Arrived in Sheffield (via UPS): 26 June, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield: 11 July, 2017
"not straightforward" Email: 2 August, 2017
Unsolicited additional documents: 14 August, 2017
Decision made: 25 September, then revoked
Second Decision: 25 October, 2017
Docs returned: 30 October, 2017
Flight to UK: 2 November, 2017

• Liked: 1327
Re: Sending medication to the UK from the US
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
This is Fedex's page on international perishable shipping:  http://www.fedex.com/us/perishables/  There's a link on that page to this one:  http://orderboxesnow.com/ where you can order their boxes.  It's not a cheap solution, but if it's really important, it's an option.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:06:00 AM »
This is Fedex's page on international perishable shipping:  http://www.fedex.com/us/perishables/  There's a link on that page to this one:  http://orderboxesnow.com/ where you can order their boxes.  It's not a cheap solution, but if it's really important, it's an option.

Thanks!!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
Is there any reason why he can't get an Rx from his local surgery? If he hasn't registered as a new patient, he needs to do so pretty quickly.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »
Is there any reason why he can't get an Rx from his local surgery? If he hasn't registered as a new patient, he needs to do so pretty quickly.

He actually had an appointment last week, but when he got there and did not yet have his National Insurance number, they sent him away and said to come back when he had it. He's never lived in the UK and is a citizen by virtue of his father-so passport, but nothing else. We've also been warned that this particular medication is usually only given to patients for a year, and then the NHS stops paying for it as its so expensive- but one fight at a time.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
He actually had an appointment last week, but when he got there and did not yet have his National Insurance number, they sent him away and said to come back when he had it. He's never lived in the UK and is a citizen by virtue of his father-so passport, but nothing else. We've also been warned that this particular medication is usually only given to patients for a year, and then the NHS stops paying for it as its so expensive- but one fight at a time.

You don't need a national insurance number to register with a GP.

If you did, then no one would be able to see a doctor until they were 16 because they are not issued until you are legally allowed to work full time.

He should be able to register with just his passport and proof of UK address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »
You don't need a national insurance number to register with a GP.

If you did, then no one would be able to see a doctor until they were 16 because they are not issued until you are legally allowed to work full time.

He should be able to register with just his passport and proof of UK address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, then. It was just a general practitioner's office in Oxford, so nothing special or fancy; but that's what happened. What constitutes "proof" for an address? All he would have at this stage is a copy of our lease agreement- everything else is so new that we don't have utility bills or anything yet.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Have him try another GP's office if the first one is so adamant  about the NINo.

A utility bill or council tax letter and his passport should be all he needs. It has to be 'official' post for most things. You should have a council tax letter as they send one out that details your council tax for the year after you let them know of your new residence.

My GP's office actually let me be a patient without proof of address as I didn't have it yet. I just needed to bring it in as soon as possible. I couldn't get a NINo until after I'd been here over 6 months as I came over on a fiance visa.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
Have him try another GP's office if the first one is so adamant  about the NINo.

A utility bill or council tax letter and his passport should be all he needs. It has to be 'official' post for most things. You should have a council tax letter as they send one out that details your council tax for the year after you let them know of your new residence.

My GP's office actually let me be a patient without proof of address as I didn't have it yet. I just needed to bring it in as soon as possible. I couldn't get a NINo until after I'd been here over 6 months as I came over on a fiance visa.

I'll pass on the info. Thanks, everyone! The council tax is a whole other issue. We've moved into an apartment in a brand new building, which hasn't been "banded" yet. So, in retrospect, we've made this move about as complicated as humanly possible!  ;D

• Liked: 721
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »
When we arrived back last year we went into our local GP practice that first week as I had a prescription I wanted to transfer. We had our passports with us and were given a form to fill in which we did there and then. I don't know my NI number by memory or carry any document with it on so I'm pretty sure it is not needed to register with and get an NHS number.

Even with a leased house or apartment it should not take long to get a letter from the utility company, water company, etc. Banks will accept a signed lease if it is from a well established real estate agency so maybe that will also suffice as proof of address to register with a doctor.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:10:14 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 170
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
Long story short, my husband went ahead and moved to the UK while I await my visa. I just took delivery of the last month's worth of medication (cold storage required) for him, and the original plan was that I would just bring it with me when I travel. As my visa is not yet approved, can anyone tell me what my options are for getting this medication to him ASAP? UPS flat out won't do it.

Thanks!

The reason UPS won't allow it is because it is probably illegal...
http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/6966_Dangerous_Goods_A5_Business_customer_booklet_TAG.pdf

"Follow these packaging guidelines:
May only be sent by, or at the specific request of, a qualified medical
practitioner, registered dental practitioner, veterinary surgeon,
registered nurse or a recognised laboratory or institution. The
medicines must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof
container such as a sealed polythene bag (for liquids) or a sift-
proof container (for solids). Must be tightly packed in strong outer
packaging and must be secured or cushioned to prevent any
damage. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly
visible on the outer packaging. "

YOU can't send it, but the doctor who wrote it could?

I worked for an employer who would (fraudulently) write prescriptions and send them abroad. He was mega fined for sending them overseas and jailed for writing prescriptions fraudulently (he wasn't a doctor or medical practitioner).

This is what happens when sending INTO the USA:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/777/kw/mailing%20medicine/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwMDczNDEwOC9zaWQvY0c2RXplb24%3D

Additionally, I would expect the package to get stuck in customs. How long would it be viable if this happened? Royal Mail suggests perishable items should be packaged to survive 48 hours of shipping, but if it gets stuck in customs....

Are you sure the GP weren't asking for an NHS number? This is a different number than NiNo and is issued the first time you register/ require medical attention in the UK...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 680
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
Yeah, we tried to figure out how to send some meds to my daughter in the UK when she was over here from the USA on education abroad a few years ago. Not doable - there was only one pharmacy we could find, one of the mail-order variety, who would send the meds and it would have been well over $200 just to ship it. Apparently USPS/UPS/DHL also will not, as it's "illegal".  I asked if I could purchase the meds myself and put them in a box with other goods and ship them and was told that was illegal as well, even if they were in their original, sealed container. (The specific formulation of the medication was not available in the UK.) I believe it was the USA regulations that were stopping us, not the UK ones.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:07:06 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links