Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tumble dryer  (Read 8904 times)

• Liked: 36
Tumble dryer
« on: July 23, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
We just let a house what does not have a tumble dryer and we think the kitchen is too small.  Where else in the house could we put it - the room would need to have a window to vent it?  There is a dining room, but I'd rather not have it in there and three bedrooms and bathroom upstairs.  I was thinking the 3rd bedroom because although I've seen appliances in bathrooms in Europe I don't think they have outlets in UK bathrooms.

• Liked: 163
Re: Tumble dryer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:30:30 PM »
If you want the kind of dryer that's common in the USA, then yes you'll need a way to vent it. We put ours in our garage and just cut a hole through the wall for the vent. Obviously you can't do that, so a room with a window is your next best bet.

There are also UK dryers that (I think) don't need venting because they capture the water from your clothes in an interior container that you have to empty every now and again. I only know about them from what I've read on here, but it sounds like they take a lot longer to dry clothes than a vented dryer. I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in soon with a better description.

And yes, the bathroom is probably out, because many UK bathrooms don't have electrical outlets.

I hope that helps.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
I know a few people that have the dryer in the guest room and use it as a bedside table and throw the vent out the window as needed.

I'd highly recommend the dryer I have.  Cheap, cheerful, and FAST.  A White Knight vented tumble dryer.  Performs like an American dryer!!

• Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
I have a Condenser Dryer.. This is the type that you don't need to vent to the outdoors.. I love it as it can go anywhere in the flat/house that has a plug.. Just need to make sure there is enough space for air flow behind it and empty the water collection routinely.

Its what i've had since about 2003ish.. not the same one ;)

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/condenser-tumble-dryer/

Just some examples of them :)

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
We had a condenser dryer and it worked reasonably well. Since we were renting we didn't have the ability to vent something and having the window open wasn't  possibility for where the thing would be situated.

I was SO happy to have it, really!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
We have a condenser washer/dryer. It takes only small loads (compared to what we were used to in the states) and the dryer does take a very long time. But it works - has three settings of dry - "line dry" (which takes forever), "hanging dry" (which leaves the clothes just barely damp, not good for jeans but ok for cottons and synthetics), and "ironing dry" (which leaves clothes noticeably damp, but if you're going to iron them it's just fine.  Also has a fan setting that only blows air.

I have had a lot of trouble with wrinkling on the "line dry" setting so I usually go with one of the next two and just make sure that the clothes are arranged so that the remaining moisture can evaporate in a few hours. 

The machine also has a lot of pre-programmed settings, where you put the clothing in and it washes and then goes straight into drying mode after. It can take literally all afternoon on those settings.  The machine is very energy efficient and uses very little water. The plus is that it does create a bit of heat, which warms the kitchen (where it is located) up. Saves having to pay to heat the kitchen that little bit.  ;)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
I've got the same thing as Nan and only use the dryer for my undies because I am too lazy to hang them up. The cycle takes 5 and a half hours!  It also cooks the hell out of everything and shrinks it like crazy.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
We used a condensing dryer when we rented. Seemed to work ok but generated masses of humidity in the room - not great for our health.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:44:20 AM »
I feel like the only thing I want to dry at this point are my jeans.  Everything else is okay if I hang it just so but jeans take forever!!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »
Oh, yeah, putting on damp blue jeans is like getting into a swimsuit that hasn't dried since the last use. ICK!  I have to say, our dryer thingy gets them good and dry, as long as I don't put more than a few pairs in and am prepared for it to run all afternoon.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
I feel like the only thing I want to dry at this point are my jeans.  Everything else is okay if I hang it just so but jeans take forever!!

I hang my jeans because the one time I dried them in our condenser dryer they got a really weird wear line where all the dye got rubbed out. I was so bummed!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »
I hang my jeans because the one time I dried them in our condenser dryer they got a really weird wear line where all the dye got rubbed out. I was so bummed!

Oh nooo!  Doubly depressing in a country where I have yet to find a single pair of jeans that I like.  I miss Old Navy and Macy's for jeans.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 02:29:11 AM »
I miss Old Navy and Macy's for jeans.

Ohmigosh, Old Navy "rock star" jeans are the best-looking jeans I've ever worn!  I have gained a bit of weight since moving over, and I need to go up a size, but I really want to try them on, and I don't want to pay ridiculous shipping costs, and ... yeah... I miss just going to the shop and getting what I need.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
Oh nooo!  Doubly depressing in a country where I have yet to find a single pair of jeans that I like.  I miss Old Navy and Macy's for jeans.

Yeah. Jeans are the bane of my existence here. When they fit my hips I can literally pull them off without unbuttoning them. Haha. Definitely not made for my body shape. I'm short waisted so I hate wearing belts...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
Have you tried buying men's jeans?

Sponsored Links